Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 3D Printing Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

finally got it to work. turns out the exposure was set to 1 second which worked on the water washable resin but not on the normal resin. I also had the contact points for the print supports about half the size they needed to be. I did a print yesterday with a range of different size contact points and 0.5 seems to be working on most items but i'll probably go with 0.6 for a margin of safety. I knew it couldn't be much causing the fails so i'm happy to have it working now. I've left it and come back to it many times.

Glad to hear it Les!

• Like 1

I might have got a little carried away now i have it working. I've been printing flat out since the first print worked and i've started modifying sizes/scales to get the wheels i want. I've printed one of blackbox stl's 527 engines with various inductions, a bmw e36 m3 engine and turbo set up, right now i have a set of wheels from an rc car i've resized to fit the e tron tyres but just in case they aren't big enough I have some other options such as a set of flat face fuchs and some 911 rims. Now it working i'm having fun playing with it so maybe next week i'll get the 32 printed. 

On 12/14/2022 at 5:39 AM, stitchdup said:

I might have got a little carried away now i have it working. I've been printing flat out since the first print worked and i've started modifying sizes/scales to get the wheels i want. I've printed one of blackbox stl's 527 engines with various inductions, a bmw e36 m3 engine and turbo set up, right now i have a set of wheels from an rc car i've resized to fit the e tron tyres but just in case they aren't big enough I have some other options such as a set of flat face fuchs and some 911 rims. Now it working i'm having fun playing with it so maybe next week i'll get the 32 printed. 

It's addictive isn't it? I have printed so many wheels, tires, engines, engine bay parts, seats, etc that I don't really know what I'm going to do with them all.

I look at my stash, something jumps out, I get an idea, then suddenly I'm downloading files and printing parts.

What am I doing? Am I mad? I have a dozen projects on the bench, I don't need to be printing parts for future projects!

So now it's a stash of kits, and a stash of printed parts!

Ahh well, it's still fun, and that's what it's all about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

It's addictive isn't it? I have printed so many wheels, tires, engines, engine bay parts, seats, etc that I don't really know what I'm going to do with them all.

I look at my stash, something jumps out, I get an idea, then suddenly I'm downloading files and printing parts.

What am I doing? Am I mad? I have a dozen projects on the bench, I don't need to be printing parts for future projects!

So now it's a stash of kits, and a stash of printed parts!

Ahh well, it's still fun, and that's what it's all about. 

im sure i have no idea what you mean, lol

DSC07908.JPG

• Haha 2

I was pretty much out of resin thismorning and my ordered stuff hasn't arrived yet due to some postal strikes so today I'm experimenting with my leftover resins. Basicly i've mixed them all together in one bottle and am now trying a print. I didn't use the leftover water washable but have mixed 2 colours of phrozen and one normal anycubic resin together. I know it says not to do this but i figure its waste resin anyway so i might as wekk give it a shot. I'll let you know the results.

• Thanks 1

Finished the floorboard but ran out of resin. Originally I was supposed to cut the interior tub floor to mate to the floorboard but changed plans and cut the print instead and caused a whole load of problems after that. That aside I learned that Wesleys Bleeche white cleans the residue after curing better than alcohol does without as much waste all I did was spray it, let it sit a second, then hit it with a soft brush and rinse it off. 

IMG_20221222_233839255.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lownslow said:

Finished the floorboard but ran out of resin. Originally I was supposed to cut the interior tub floor to mate to the floorboard but changed plans and cut the print instead and caused a whole load of problems after that. That aside I learned that Wesleys Bleeche white cleans the residue after curing better than alcohol does without as much waste all I did was spray it, let it sit a second, then hit it with a soft brush and rinse it off. 

What problems did you have cutting the chassis? Others may learn from it, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems again. I've been trying to print some drag suspension parts from mcsdesign that are quite delicate. Some of the parts are under 1mm in diameter so I used the 1mm light supports on a raft as the medium supports are larger than the parts. I thought this would be the way to go but the supports are falling off the raft. I've tried printing them with the medium supports and they print fine but the supports being wider than the part seems to be causing them to print warped. I've tried changing the angle the parts print at but it seems to make no difference. this is some of the parts I'm trying to print and most are pretty similar in sizes

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/funny-car-front-hubs-n-brakes-n-suspension

I've also noticed the resin seems to be seperating while the printer is is in use which hasn't happened before even when using mixed resins. Quite often ther is a clear layer on top of the print plate after about an hour. The bottle of resin used when this happens is a fresh bottle so is it a bad batch?

20 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm having problems again. I've been trying to print some drag suspension parts from mcsdesign that are quite delicate. Some of the parts are under 1mm in diameter so I used the 1mm light supports on a raft as the medium supports are larger than the parts. I thought this would be the way to go but the supports are falling off the raft. I've tried printing them with the medium supports and they print fine but the supports being wider than the part seems to be causing them to print warped. I've tried changing the angle the parts print at but it seems to make no difference. this is some of the parts I'm trying to print and most are pretty similar in sizes

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/funny-car-front-hubs-n-brakes-n-suspension

I've also noticed the resin seems to be seperating while the printer is is in use which hasn't happened before even when using mixed resins. Quite often ther is a clear layer on top of the print plate after about an hour. The bottle of resin used when this happens is a fresh bottle so is it a bad batch?

Slow your printer way down for thin parts also reduce you exposure times. your resin is bad i suggest you contact the manufacturer

• Thanks 1

So here's a question.

Sometimes when printing bodies, especially multi-piece bodies, the parts print perfectly, and then after washing and curing, they start to change shape slightly. The edges will twist out, and flat panels will develop a curve.

What's the best way to stop this from happening?

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

So here's a question.

Sometimes when printing bodies, especially multi-piece bodies, the parts print perfectly, and then after washing and curing, they start to change shape slightly. The edges will twist out, and flat panels will develop a curve.

Bodies can be difficult at times. Make sure that the thickness is at least 1.5 mm thick. I print flat parts on the build plate. When cleaning, make sure it is completely clean. It should feel and look as it would after uv curing. Leave flat pieces on the build plate to clean and uv cure. Leave supported pieces on the supports until completely cured. I run tubular rods between between body panels to keep them straight. Leave them on until the body is cleaned and completely cured. Cut them with off when done and sand the stubs off. 

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

So here's a question.

i was told the water wasable resin has an issue with shrinkage. The first 32 body i printed was the water wash and the second was normal resin and it turned out better. On the first one the sides were a bit twisted and i thought it was down to me removing the supports before curing but i did the same on the second body and it didn't happen. I'm still very inexperienced so it might just be me doing something wrong still. Hot water still works to flatten or reshape parts though, I've curved some door panels for the 32 by sitting them on a cloth and pouring kettle water over them for a few seconds and then under the cold tap once shaped. It worked better than it does on styrene for me

On 1/8/2023 at 3:32 AM, Lownslow said:

Slow your printer way down for thin parts also reduce you exposure times. your resin is bad i suggest you contact the manufacturer

well that didn't work, used a new bottle of resin, rain x on the tank and reduced lift to 1mm per sec and exposure to 1.8 and this is the result. the first time the bottom of the chassis floor printed fine but went wrong above that, this time it did this. I've tried contacting anycubic support but i cant seem to get past the captcha they use before you submit the ticket.

DSC07942.JPG

DSC07943.JPG

DSC07944.JPG