Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nuns shop too.Lol

NYLIBUD

So yesterday I went into my local Hobby Lobby to get some paint and glue.While I was there I noticed about 15-20+ nuns walking around shopping.I’ve never seen so many nuns in one place at the same time.There were a lot of them checking out the car and plane models as well,along with some of the model railroading supplies.They all seemed very friendly…However one thing I did notice,was that none of them were wearing masks.Hmmmm🤔😷

CFF6FB6C-C60D-4547-82AB-B25E26FAA8C7.jpeg

033E0D89-E6BA-47B8-9EDC-257672B1094F.jpeg

895F2F2A-8CC4-4863-AB3B-0B5A4CABB830.jpeg

970A95E6-9D43-488A-AE67-4EA2D363010A.jpeg

31B65841-671A-4F7B-A942-25286394232D.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

I ran the business office for a community of Catholic Sisters for fifteen years.  I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I saw any of them wearing a habit as pictured.  And those instances were always at fund raising events, where there were older benefactors present who had attended Catholic school and were used to seeing the Sisters dressed in that way.  Most of them didn't even have one anymore.

My sister was a cloistered nun who lived in a very strict and closed community committed to prayer. They were the only ones I ever saw wear the full habits. My understanding is that they are more lenient these days regarding excursions away from the cloister, but still only on special occasions. My guess is this might be one of those occasions in support of an upcoming event, or simply to resupply for the next period of time. 

• Like 1

The outfits nuns wear varies according to their order and the type of vows they took when they entered monastic life. Complete habits are only worn by nuns who take full vows in the more conservative orders; other orders allow for abbreviated habits or more conventional forms of dress, and women who take the simple vows (technically called sisters of the order rather than nuns), may not wear any distinguishing garments at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

My sister was a cloistered nun who lived in a very strict and closed community committed to prayer. They were the only ones I ever saw wear the full habits. My understanding is that they are more lenient these days regarding excursions away from the cloister, but still only on special occasions. My guess is this might be one of those occasions in support of an upcoming event, or simply to resupply for the next period of time. 

Yea im not sure,i don’t recall the last time i saw so many nuns in full uniform,(for lack of a better word).Are you saying that they may have been shopping there for say,an upcoming charity event?Idk,but as i said,they all were very friendly.Just not use to seeing nuns anymore in public.

Edited by NYLIBUD

5 hours ago, TonyK said:

Guess I just learned a little something about nuns. As far as the masks go....is it mandatory in your area? I know some places it isn't but here in Oregon we have to wear them in any indoor…..(Yea im not sure if it’s mandatory to wear a mask in my area.But there are signs everywhere reminding people to wear them.)

Edited by NYLIBUD

I served time in a parochial school fourth thru eighth grade.  The principal and a few teachers were nuns but not dressed like these.  Mean as can be!

I worked in a local, independent pharmacy during the college years and had we had a few that came in dress as in the pic.  Very pleasant and approachable.

image.jpeg.b06d92589c53b62783f799fea2fa2183.jpeg

On 2/4/2022 at 11:25 PM, OldTrucker said:

The outfits nuns wear varies according to their order and the type of vows they took when they entered monastic life. Complete habits are only worn by nuns who take full vows in the more conservative orders; other orders allow for abbreviated habits or more conventional forms of dress, and women who take the simple vows (technically called sisters of the order rather than nuns), may not wear any distinguishing garments at all.

I never had a lay teacher until I went to high school. The nuns pictured below were members of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and were my teachers from 1966-73. They changed to the more casual habits in 1969. They were less cumbersome and allowed the sisters ability to put more energy in their follow through when they swung the "Board of Education". :DThis photo was the inspiration for the "Meeting of the Families" scene in the Godfather.

903019936_nunssscm.jpg.a5f6de8caa2560e5eace056eb04bfac8.jpg

• Xingu locked this topic