Model Cars Magazine Forum

Three Jaguars

Peter Lombardo

Three Jaguars 

1.       Revell Jaguar XK-120 Roadster     This kit was purchased many years ago and just sat idly on the shelf until Revell released their current XKE Series One Coupe and Roadster which gave me the inspiration to pull it out and build it.   Relatively stock except I opened and hinged the doors (that was tricky because it cut the body into 4 pieces, front, back and 2 doors) and trunk. In the trunk I added a spare tire and attached a luggage rack, of unknown origin, from one of my many parts boxes.   I was not content with the ride height out of the box, so, just as I did with all three cars, I lowered the front wheels about a scale 2 inches which, I think, gave the cars a better looking stance.  I added, as the kit omitted them, custom designed photo-etch windshield wipers. The exterior paint is a custom mix I made of Tamiya White and Black (mostly all white) making a rather light Dove Gray.  The wheels and Interior are Tamiya Deep Red raddle can, with the wheels getting a top coat of gloss.

2.       Revell Jaguar XKE Series One Roadster.   Again, basically box stock.  I opened and hinged the doors and lowered the front wheels a bit.  The kit tires were painted to represent wide white-wall tires as I like the way it looks with period correct wide whites.  I detail washed the wire wheels to give them more depth.  I hinged the front hood so it opens to reveal the engine.  The interior, convertible top, and boot are painted in a variety of saddle browns and tans all custom mixed Tamiya paints, some brushed and some airbrushed.  The Exterior has a base coat of Tamiya AS-29 Gray Green (IJN) paint intended for military application.  This is a flat paint, so it was top coated with Tamiya Gloss Clear with Jacquard #674 Interference Gold Pigment to give it a gold pearl overtone, then covered again with just Tamiya Gloss Clear from the airbrush.

3.       Revell Jaguar XKE Series One Coupe. (one of, if not the most, beautiful car ever designed) Again, basically box stock.  I opened and hinged the doors and the rear hatch, which, I think is extra cool as it hinges from the left side, and not the top as most all other sports coupes do and lowered the front wheels a bit.  The kit tires were also painted to represent wide white-wall tires as I like the way it looks with period correct wide whites.  I detail washed the wire wheels to give them more depth.    The Interior is basically identical to the roadster in color and paints used with the addition of metal trim strips on the hatch carpeting.  The Exterior is a custom mix of Tamiya Silver, Medium Blue, and a touch of Tamiya clear Red.  Then it was topped with a mix of Tamiya Gloss Clear with a few drops of Tamiya Clear Blue added and House of Kolor Ice Pear Blue Micro flakes to give it a pearl blue overtone.  As with the Roadster, I hinged the front hood too.AM-JKLV5klumzyGhZEnH7QEhpOtAsgHJW-ieRa0XAM-JKLVyqNBg5-Bos_0pe38824OduF1ChMm047OoAM-JKLXlia8jHmpbNZzcp9VptOtBOeN80CU7GaoWAM-JKLXnBq8LsRsjRSx3qm5QhlD-JzdosdFlkxL3AM-JKLXTW7XRmGz32xY-DK-6LY7_T19RzmNx-2GUAM-JKLWycQAKS2Dm_hG8_A48OSzBEjoQTRM9ghNoAM-JKLWeBxcaRaDa0ULTiZSgdCxjRbtBgJB_Jmk4AM-JKLXQvtkW_dV1eh4qG78YYfKCEOG56ds_ED0IAM-JKLUAfAFQYAK6QSX_4RHyoqAbfL8VMZ9nQA2_AM-JKLXTPwMb0voUZY13TEF4tMLp4JFNHewmstaNAM-JKLXIJK2wZzVUtpDAECzFZ4fiueUnQ8h7WaTNAM-JKLXLjFsqI2FtSqCESwwk-bA-kETRpTLbO-4mAM-JKLWZHNl6viluQiDVZQy07nCLipb3oJ9xc68KAM-JKLVSDyFhYHuovGa6zJfyuPRxMUgClfgP7MijAM-JKLVeWFlxxKNLaGdOk-nA3CS3lu7HyMPQJUikAM-JKLXQvtkW_dV1eh4qG78YYfKCEOG56ds_ED0IAM-JKLXbry8O5RPxPuujpJ4FZYPye0nPmABWmbw6AM-JKLVS5-NtVzphX9a6cwq_w8nnF3T7XpQa4hZhAM-JKLXnBq8LsRsjRSx3qm5QhlD-JzdosdFlkxL3AM-JKLVoGesiKYJirqhpYJXCIT_QdUXHPlGoue2F

• Like 4

Three beautiful Jags. What a gorgeous collection of sporting machinery. Love the colour choices on all three, and all are cleanly built. Very nice, thanks for posting. 

I have the XK120 on the bench as a stalled project that I really need to get back to. I see the bonnet on yours fits as well as mine. Nothing I did made it fit satisfactorily, so I glued it shut. Otherwise a surprisingly good kit. I’ll mount that nicely done Jag six on a stand. The XKEs are at the top of my ‘want’ list.  

Did you have any issues getting the E type hoods/bonnets to fit the body properly? I have the flat box euro market roadster kit, but the hood was packed stretched over the body shell so it’s wider than it should be. I haven’t started it or messed with trying to reshape it yet. 

9 hours ago, StanGlover said:

Did you have any issues getting the E type hoods/bonnets to fit the body properly? I have the flat box euro market roadster kit, but the hood was packed stretched over the body shell so it’s wider than it should be. I haven’t started it or messed with trying to reshape it yet. 

Yes, in fact I had some issues.  When just fitting the two body sections together before the build they fit very nicely together.  But because I opened the doors, the hinges got in the way of the inner sections of the interior next to the dashboard area, which if not properly dealt with will cause the body bottom to be wider than the hood sides. .  It required a fair amount of test fitting and eventual trimming of the inner sections in order to get the fit "reasonable".  The lower section that is under the hood when completed had a tendency to spread outward which made the lower section which is attached to the back half of the body wider than the hood section, and therefore a poor fit resulted.  Be mindful of the inner cowl which mates to the body and maybe sand it down so it does not, in any way, cause the body to be wider than it needs to be.   Just the act of fitting the body over the interior/frame section can cause the body to be wider than the hood. Prior to building these two XKE's, I did a dark red one, that is not quite finished.  I did not pay close attention to the front of the lower body section as I should have and that caused the fit to be unacceptable.  So even though I like the color of the couple, it may never get the chance to see the light of day, all because of the very poor fitting of the hood to the body.  This is one of the pitfalls of opening the doors and not allowing sufficient room inside for the hinges.  Do a lot of test fitting and do not allow anything to cause the lower body to be wider than it should be.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, Peter Lombardo said:

Yes, in fact I had some issues.  When just fitting the two body sections together before the build they fit very nicely together.  But because I opened the doors, the hinges got in the way of the inner sections of the interior next to the dashboard area, which if not properly dealt with will cause the body bottom to be wider than the hood sides. .  It required a fair amount of test fitting and eventual trimming of the inner sections in order to get the fit "reasonable".  The lower section that is under the hood when completed had a tendency to spread outward which made the lower section which is attached to the back half of the body wider than the hood section, and therefore a poor fit resulted.  Be mindful of the inner cowl which mates to the body and maybe sand it down so it does not, in any way, cause the body to be wider than it needs to be.   Just the act of fitting the body over the interior/frame section can cause the body to be wider than the hood. Prior to building these two XKE's, I did a dark red one, that is not quite finished.  I did not pay close attention to the front of the lower body section as I should have and that caused the fit to be unacceptable.  So even though I like the color of the couple, it may never get the chance to see the light of day, all because of the very poor fitting of the hood to the body.  This is one of the pitfalls of opening the doors and not allowing sufficient room inside for the hinges.  Do a lot of test fitting and do not allow anything to cause the lower body to be wider than it should be.

Thanks for the info, I was afraid it would take some trial and error test fitting. Opening doors is above my skill set right now so I won’t have to worry about that. Your results are certainly inspiring though! 

Way cool jags. My step mom had a 71 XKE V12 when I was in high school. One weekend my Dad and step mom went away for the weekend. I was watching TV and my step sister stepped in front of me and dangled the Jag's keys in my face. Needless to say we went on an unauthorized joy ride the day. I took it to about 135 mph on some open two lane black top. I was amazed how grippy the 4 wheel independent suspension was combined with Michelin radials. They never did find out about our little adventure until years later.