Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Nissan Leopard TR X Turbo

galaxyg

It's a fairly simple kit so hopefully won't be a long build - once I've picked a colour. There are some interesting details (to me anyway) about what's in the box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Despite all 4 tyres being in the same bag, two of them have collected this white residue, which I'm going to guess is related to getting them out of the mould. Whilst the other two have not. It comes off with water anyhow.

spacer.png

The 50cc Honda Tact scooter that comes with the kit is not some extra pack-in, it's part of one of the main sprues that also contains car parts. I'll be building it too.

spacer.png

The driver however won't be taking part in this project. I'll save him for a race car, especially since he inexplicably is wearing a 4 point harness, not standard equipment on the Nissan Leopard :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm starting with the interior as I know what colour this is going to be, two-tone brown and beige. I have some ideas on the car body (gold being the most likely), but I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

spacer.png

• Like 3

In the spray booth

spacer.png

Although I wasn't 100% sure of using gold (Tamiya Titanium Gold in this case) on this car, as soon as it was out of the can and onto the body, I knew it was the right choice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is going to be a two-tone body however, so masking begins.

spacer.png

And here's the result. It's subtle but I like it. The lower colour is Ford Ginger Ale Metallic, a kind of greenish gold.  I'll let the body sit for a week now to get full dried out before I think about going near it with clearcoat.

spacer.png

Meanwhile, back at the chassis I've blocked up all the battery/motor holes.

spacer.png

Most of the underbody assembles, except for the petrol tank. There are not a lot of parts but it's quite well detailed. If there's one thing I'd change about this kit, it's be to not have the exhaust pipe moulded in.

spacer.png

Now with petrol tank and weathering.

spacer.png

Wing mirrors have sink marks, so get some filler.

spacer.png

Door cards all finished and with chrome trim.

spacer.png

How very 80s. A brown digital dashboard.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Completed interior. I've added rear seatbelts and seatbelt retainers.

spacer.png

TURBO!  Having examined images of the real car, indeed the TRX-Turbo is reversed. I can imagine only so you can let the person in front of you know in their mirror you're packing a TURBO.

spacer.png

TURBO TURBO. Is there a more 1980s word?

spacer.png

• Like 1

What follows are a series of photos going from freshly clearcoated (top) to the first look at combined body/chassis. Via a lot of polishing and masking for the black parts and annoyingly - and on one side only, the TURBO decal I thought should be protected by clearcoat, pulled off by the mask. Shame BUT - the kit does come with a second set of these decals in black and for a while anyway I've been wondering if that would have been the better colour choice anyway. Now I'll find out. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Headlights and tail lights, the car gets it's face.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

These wheels are *very* chromy.

spacer.png

A trick I've used before. Mr Hobby Flat Matt. Turns chrome into aluminium in one coat.

spacer.png

The wheel centres are intended to be black with giant hex decals to cover the chrome (decals can be seen at far left of photo). But this seems not the best way. Mr Muscle soon gets the chrome off. and I'll trim out the badge part of the decal to use on semi-gloss black instead.  What can't be seen on this image is the new *black* TURBO decals down the side. Turns out Black was the best colour after all, so happy accident.

spacer.png

As is often the case with my builds, the mirrors are the final part to go on. In this instance Tamiya has even moulded in the small mirror wipers of the original car. How useful these are in real life, who knows but it's amazing the amount of great and/or weird engineering that used to go on with Japanese cars and also - how much of that cool stuff they kept in their domestic market only.  This is the last photo in the WIP, completed photos will follow as soon as.

spacer.png

• Like 1