Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you learn to drive in?

I learned how to drive in this... And a 1931 Model A town sedan which I unfortunately don't have a digital image of, after mastering spark advance and choke adjustments, 3 on the tree, non synchro shifting plus a fussy Columbia 2 speed rear end I could drive anything modern. He had me driving by the time I turned 13.

FB_IMG_1638928950566.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

In 1965 I learned to drive in a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix with an automatic transmission. Took the driver's license test in it too with the cop riding.

Did it make you nervous with the cop riding along? When I took my road test I had  to drive around the courthouse. The cort house was used in all three walking tall movies. You can see it on YouTube..

On 4/8/2022 at 1:44 AM, 2doors3pedals said:

I learned to drive in my dad's 66 GMC Suburban - V-6, three on the tree and power nothing. That was a beast for a 16 year old. 

I kind of miss the old column shifters!

I liked those column shifters also, kinda fun…

On 4/8/2022 at 10:54 PM, Phirewriter said:

I learned how to drive in this... And a 1931 Model A town sedan which I unfortunately don't have a digital image of, after mastering spark advance and choke adjustments, 3 on the tree, non synchro shifting plus a fussy Columbia 2 speed rear end I could drive anything modern. He had me driving by the time I turned 13.

FB_IMG_1638928950566.jpg

I imagine you could learning to drive a very old car. My dad told me about the manual spark advance..

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Did it make you nervous with the cop riding along? When I took my road test I had  to drive around the courthouse. The cort house was used in all three walking tall movies. You can see it on YouTube..

I was so excited that I don't think I was too nervous. All I had to do was drive around the block and parallel park. 

• Like 1

I learned to drive in my Dad's 1963 Ford Cortina 1200cc 4-door, which was blue and had the reg no.: 440 LBM, and that was when I was 17 years of age in 1970.

I passed the driving test at the third attempt (my Dad took 7 attempts, but he was a good driver).

After passing my driving test, my Dad bought me a 1960 Ford Anglia 105E for £50, so US$.65 at today's rate.

David

• Like 1

1946 Case cleetrack crawler when I was ten. Dad's 1968 Chevy pickup when I was 12,  his 52 Mercury when I  was 13, and my 1953 GMC when I was 15. 

Really pays off to live on a dead-end gravel road out in the country while growing up.😁

Almost forgot the 1942 Ford Jeep when I was 13, which I now own.

Also pays to have a dad who was into old cars. 😁

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

1946 Case cleetrack crawler when I was ten. Dad's 1968 Chevy pickup when I was 12,  his 52 Mercury when I  was 13, and my 1953 GMC when I was 15. 

Really pays off to live on a dead-end gravel road out in the country while growing up.😁

Almost forgot the 1942 Ford Jeep when I was 13, which I now own.

Also pays to have a dad who was into old cars. 😁

I agree , it’s good to live in the country my uncle had old cars around all the time. To drive and my dad let me drive his pickup also..

17 minutes ago, slusher said:

I agree , it’s good to live in the country my uncle had old cars around all the time. To drive and my dad let me drive his pickup also..

The old tractor was a crank start. It was easy to start so dad taught me how to bring it up on compression stroke and open palm it . After a few tries I could get it started. The clutch was way down the body of the tractor, it was tiller controlled with a manual throttle.  I would click the throttle up a couple of notches, slide off the seat until I could push the clutch in all the way, push it into first, let the clutch out and get back into the seat. I was so proud that I could do it all on my own. Of course, you could walk faster than that thing could crawl at an idle in first. 😄

Edited by Sam I Am

Wally Cleaver had a bad day in a '62 Plymouth (Savoy?) in Driver's Ed; a gal named Shirley 'back-seat drove' him and he looked like a fool -- but passed his test when she didn't.  MoPars supplied cars for latter-day seasons of Beaver, even Brit Rootes compacts show up.  Wally and Eddie Haskell had Chevy's -- '54 ragtop and '40 sedan -- while Lumpy Rutherford had the beautiful '40 Ford cabrio with great sounding pipes.  LOTS of car adventures on LITB! 

"Scotty" tries to tach Mary Stone to drive in Donna Reed, in what seems to be a '29 Chevy roadster with SBC ("It's a 355... ) and F100 steering; later with Doc Stones '62 Merc ParkLane 4-dr HT.  Pediatricians must not have made much dough then, however, because they later has a Comet wagon!  Sponsors!

I took my driving test two days after my sixteenth b-day (8-21-'61) in the family '55 Pontiac 870 4-dr. 8-pass wagon.  Easy to do, using a Hydramatic, after learning in column-shift 3-speeders, like they required back in the day.  Of course, unlike today (if what we see on the streets is any indicator) the high school expected some competency to pass the course... !  A couple of months later I had my '55 Chevy Delray 'post', and we'd replaced the '55 with a '62 Catalina long-roof.  Wish we'd had the 389 in the '55 body!