Model Cars Magazine Forum

What and when did you get your first ticket ?

As a follow up from the great thread "What did you learn to drive in? " I thought I would see how we all got our first ticket ?

I was 17 driving a 51 Ford in 1967, It had some air in the brake system and you had to pump the brakes up to stop. I was doing 45 in a 30 and got pulled over. The Officer must have noticed my brake lights going off and on, so he asked me to push on the brake pedal while he watched. Of coarse the pedal went almost to the floor. Got a ticket for defective brakes and speeding.

I was under 18 so I had to go to Juvenile Traffic Court, got lucky and only lost my license for 2 weeks. Not sure how I survived my younger years. 

45 in a 30, down the main artery of my parents' "master-planned" community.  The motorcycle officers posted up behind the community center sign on a Friday night, at the bottom of a hill.  I tried to say I was just coasting down the hill, but he wasn't buying it.  Said I was going at least 40 at the top of the hill, so he did give me a break and wrote it for 40 instead of 45.  Took the defensive driving course a few weeks later.

I was going up into the higher foothills to visit a friend.   While rounding a slightly hidden curve, just a "bit" over the center line I met a NCHP.  His lights came on immediately, I pulled over to the side of the road and waited for him, no use in trying to evade him. As he was writing the ticket he said, "You drive like that up here, crossing over the centerline can get you killed."  So, I guess it is alright for the locals, but not for the lower foothill patrons. Cost me $25 plus $15 court costs., lot of money in 1967. 

I know I got my first ticket when I had my Thunderbird, so I would have been 16. Maybe 17.

It was for doing 65kmh in a 50kmh zone. I thought it was a 60kmh zone.

In the grand scheme of things, it was nothing, but at the time I was panicked big time over it. Thought I was in huge trouble.

I'm not sure if this was the first one but it's an early one I can remember. I'm driving an old R model Mack single axel dump with 12 tons of hot blacktop (prob. would be overwheight today) back when my dad was in business. I couldn't stop in time and took alot of the yellow light and probably a little of the red. Then a Philly cop Writes me up and tells me "just show up in traffic court and well throw it out. The old man is making us give out enough tickets". I went, they threw it out but it still was a big hassle. After that it was mostly speeding tickets in cars. Had a bit of a lead foot. 🦶

I got a "drag racing a motor vehicle on a public street or highway" ticket in the 69 Electra. I had a buddy in a 68 Chevelle 2 cars from the dig. The cop couldn't keep a straight face when he acknowledged I had a lead on the Chevelle. He was frying his tires and couldn't hook. Cost $50 in 1974. It stung a while. 

First citation was my fault completely (a few subsequent citations were bollocks). 

I ran a stop sign.

I was testing the handling prowess of me 1972 Swinger on some slightly-twisting-but-flat roads in the wealthy part of town. I came-up on the stop sign too hot (I'm sure that the officer heard the screaming 205-75 14's on those turns, and was just waiting for my dumb arse to arrive) -- figuring that if I hit the power disc brakes, the wheels would lock and I'd be cruising-through anyhow.

So I ''went for it''.

Nighttime... no one around... about 2200 hrs. 

He was parked on a side street cul du sac; the moonlight shining off of the lightbar's plated frame.

Oh, well. My fault-- I 100% owned up to it.

Back then (1989), one could either pay the tax (''fine'') or go to traffic school. I chose the latter : $30 vs. $300. By 1993, those days were over. Another story for another time.

I was 16 and driving for about two weeks.  My older sister ( by two years ) had still not taken her driving test. So I was driving her to take her test and I got stopped for speeding. I don't remember how fast. I told the officer I was just taking my sister to take her driving test. He just said to me " your a fine one to be taking anyone for a driving test "!

Mine was in 1997 in my 1985 Lebaron GTS turbo sedan, 61 in a 45 near the Dupage airport coming home from my Sunday closing shift at the St. Charles, IL Toy's "R" Us, paid the ticket at the West Chicago Police station that night in cash, thought I had to go and cash a paycheck I hadn't done so with yet at the Jewel/Osco Mom and I worked at at the time......while Mom was working that night........got needled about by a coworker of ours there there for a little while after that too.............

Got my license in 1976, and by the Grace of God, my first (and only) ticket was in 2012 in Arizona. Those of you who live there remember the baloney with the speed cameras and the guy driving around Phoenix with a gorilla suit on. Even after the state stopped using cameras, some municipalities still had them. Was on 69 coming into Prescott Valley. Speed limit was 60-65, I don't remember. They "conveniently" spaced the camera warning, the lowered speed limit (45), and the unmarked Ford Escape with the camera so that they were able to nail the most people. Was a Hertz Equinox, so it took a while to get the ticket forwarded. I really didn't want to hire an attorney or go back there for my court date, and especially didn't want to plead guilty and mail them money and get points on my California license. Always the daring one, I started Googling, and found a law firm's website that recommended that out of state drivers just ignore Arizona speed camera tickets. Something about the law stating that a mailed ticket wasn't legally "served" and if you didn't sign it and return it (serving yourself essentially) the ticket would be dismissed. I found my court date online, and sure enough my ticket was dismissed. 

• Like 1

In high school - first delivery on the first day as a pizza delivery driver = first ticket.

Forgot the breadsticks when I made my first delivery, and in my haste to make it right, raced back to the pizza place. 

I don’t remember how much the ticket was, but I know where my first paycheck went.

First time I got pulled over was in my 71 Super Beetle. I was 16 (1980) had my DL for about a week and ran a stop sign. Cop let me go with a warning. First ticket was in my 68 Mustang, 36 in a 30 zone. People today drive well over 40 in that zone today all day long. 

Edited by webestang

Somehow I skated through my high school and college years with nary a ticket, despite getting a bright red '87 Mustang GT new when I was 17.   I did get pulled over a couple times in grad school in my 20s--once driving w/ no headlights on at night in a very well lit area on campus, and once for doing a California roll at a stop sign.  Got off with a warning both times. 

It wasn't until I was 30 that I got a speeding ticket-- doing 85 in a 70 in Colorado in my '96 BMW M3.  (good thing the cop didn't see me about 20 minutes earlier when I was going well over 100).    In the 20+ years since then, I've had a couple camera tickets for doing 45 in a school zone (on days there was no school), but haven't had any issues in 15+ years.

Edited by Rob Hall

By "ticket" I assume you mean moving violation. I was well into my 40's before getting my only ticket. Caught speeding while trying to catch up to my friend who I didn't know was well behind me 🤨.

Now, how many more times have I been stopped? Four. But being a silver tongued SOB I talked my way out of them. One was for exhibition driving in a '68 Cougar, but being a radio personality at the time, I not only got out of it but the cop gave me his card and invited me to take a ride-along any time (heh).

Edited by Lunajammer

I was 17 in 2001 driving to work. I was running late so I was giving that Focus all it had. Ended up with a ticket for going 175 in a 100 km/h zone. At the time it was the most expensive speeding ticket the city cashier had ever seen at $350... 😫

1st ticket was trying to see how fast my 1st car would go with my buddies in it. 88 mph in a 55 zone. Cop cut me a break and wrote it for 66 mph.

Lost my license for totaling my car without insurance. (long story)

I made it through my 20's getting pulled over (usually for speeding) THIRTEEN times and got let off on very single one of them. I think being active military helped immensely.

Don't remember the first one. Got plenty for speeding in high school class of 65, driving my '56 Belair. 

Best story was a time cruising Speedway blvd. (yes, a main street in Tucson Arizona) there were a bunch of us in different cars Me, in my '56 a friend in his '58 and the XKE we were after. eventually a cop got us all pulled over and lined up taking our licences to run them.

When a bunch of squawking on his radio he comes running back, hands us our licences back. 

" Your lucky. I've got to go to a robbery in progress." 

Edited by Greg Myers
  • Like 1

Every one in high school got a ticket within the first two years of getting their license.  I was within two weeks of breaking the cycle and wrecked the delivery car for the pharmacy I delivering prescriptions for.  Even though I was below the speed limit, it was considered 'too fast for conditions' as I slid on wet leaves.  

Second and only other ticket, I went through the 'safety zone' coming down an entrance ramp as I saw an opening in the backed up traffic so I got on early......cop didn't care.  I had an 84 Dodge Rampage and apparently attracted too much attention as I got a warning for 32 in a school zone.  I knew the cop and offered the him the keys that if he can get it from that intersection to where he claimed he clocked me, I will shut up and sign the ticket.  (That 2.2L has a 0-60 you could time with a calendar).  He told me to slow down and walked away.

92 Mercury Topaz....it was ticket proof other than possibly loitering

93 Dodge Stealth......I put $100 in the drawer as I figured it was a ticket waiting to happen...parenthood caused the sale of it

02 MItsubishi Diamante......200 hp and no traction control (not a great idea)

09 Pontiac G8.....REALLY deserved several tickets including mandatory court appearance worthy

17 Genesis G80 (AWD)....trying to be a good boy as the teenager is coming on 16th birthday, but it has 60 more hp that the G8 and with about 500 extra pounds (the car, not me!) it tends to creep up on the highway

August 1976, I-10 outside of Deming, NM.  Heading back to base (Holloman AFB) in my '73 VW and proudly equipped with a CB radio (important later).  NM State Police going in the opposite direction radar tags me for 68mph in a 55mph zone.  I repeat I-10 and in the desert.  The only time I ever heard truckers referring to my car "Ooh, the Bear's going after a white 4 wheeler".  Two weeks later, El Paso PD gave me a ticket for misuse of a traffic lane.  Went straight in a turn lane/in a rough construction zone with incomplete lane markings/in the rain/and after dark.  And that's all I've ever gotten.  Good thing it was in the days before computerized cross referencing of traffic violations between states.  Just paid the fines.

MIne, it 3 days after I got my first new car. March 24th,1981. What is the first thing you do when you get a new car? see how fast it is of course. !2:15 am. after work, 80 in a 55. Not to bad in an El Camino V6 with a 3 speed trans. Man, I wish I still Had that car. Gary