Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Atlantis (ex-Monogram) Funny Car Kits

Casey

On 2/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, Casey said:

I was glad to see the Charger body, which wasn't part of the most recently re-issued group of three under the Luminators series:

132LuminatorsCamaroFC.jpg.49b90e611745f3bb400bd6dd5e586fd0.jpg

132LuminatorsDusterFC.jpg.9e19c140650606964005b400f468f286.jpg

132LuminatorsMustangFC.jpg.76753a0c03aa1d1cda6cba5cc5ed7b87.jpg

It will be good to have these kits back without the "Luminators" plastic. I had the Luminators kits (since it was difficult to find the original kits at shows), and the plastic was so brittle, all my built kits shattered over time! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2022 at 1:19 PM, Casey said:

Atlantis Toy and Hobby

Coming Soon: Tom Daniel 1/32 Funny Cars all new artwork and decals. Thank you to Tom and Kelly Daniel. Look for these to be released in July

at132.jpg.f8ed111537e2757ca62c45a13ce09c2c.jpg

Well, I got the four Atlantis, ex-Monogram 1/32 scale Funny Car kits in today’s mail. I thought I’d give you guys a little preview. First, other than the bodies and decals they are all the same kit. Using the same chassis, etc. I’ve already, as you can see, started on the Camaro. With the Mustang not far behind. I should have all of them done over this long weekend. I’m a little disappointed the bodies are not molded in the same colors as shown on the box. I get the impression that the color of the body you get is random. A luck of the draw, per say. The only other thing I’m not 100% pleased with, is the size of the decals for the sides of the Camaro. The decals seem a little too big for the model. Crowding, and not fitting quite right, as shown on the box art. I’ve seen this on a couple of other Atlantis’ funny car models before. So I assume I’m going to find it true on the three kits I just received. But those are all minor complaints. Over all I like what I’m seeing. I’m building them straight out of box, with a little glue, and a little paint on things like grilles and taillights. We’ll see how they turn out. 

5E99559C-B63F-40D7-9FB6-EE0F6E2C9930.jpeg

9ACF6E6D-8583-4E64-94A6-6F3B91FB5179.jpeg

866A54C9-EC18-4477-BB51-65035F5DA0D3.jpeg

7E80F6CF-E5B2-4DAC-B8C5-B6ACE51D28BF.jpeg

4B673756-EC5F-4B4F-AFEB-32FDDAC24D4D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 12:33 PM, 64Comet404 said:

It will be good to have these kits back without the "Luminators" plastic. I had the Luminators kits (since it was difficult to find the original kits at shows), and the plastic was so brittle, all my built kits shattered over time! 

I built one of these as a kid. I know it was molded in opaque green, so I'm assuming it was the Duster. I'll have to buy one and built it out of sheer nostalgia.

How's the tires on these? Two piece?

Edited by Jantrix

5 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I built one of these as a kid. I know it was molded in opaque green, so I'm assuming it was the Duster. I'll have to buy one and built it out of sheer nostalgia.

How's the tires on these? Two piece?

My Duster in this release is Blue. And yes, the tires are two piece. Other than the color of the plastic, and the decals, these kits are straight reissues. So they have the good. The bad. And the ugly of the original issues. Thankfully there is little of the bad or the ugly with these kits. 

The original issues did not always have the same color as the box either. I had the Monogram Charger "The Fiend", first issue with the body tin. I think the box art was red or orange and the body was molded in a gross dark olive green. I was a young kid and very disappointed, so my dad spray painted it blue for me, I still have it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, larman said:

The original issues did not always have the same color as the box either. I had the Monogram Charger "The Fiend", first issue with the body tin. I think the box art was red or orange and the body was molded in a gross dark olive green. I was a young kid and very disappointed, so my dad spray painted it blue for me, I still have it!

You’ll be happy to hear, my “Fiend” Charger is molded in blue. 

26C38BD1-FF8C-48B5-803B-44226BF4FFF9.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 8:24 PM, stavanzer said:

Cool Builds.

They look like perfect "Slump Busters" or a great way to get kids into the Hobby.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I agree a good way to get the younger kids into the hobby!

As someone with a 9- & 11-year-old, I have to wonder what on earth makes you think kids would want these?  I mean they feasibly serve the purpose of a "basic" kit that Snaps together and is molded in color.  But these things were tooled up five years before *I* was born.  Sorry guys but very few kids in 2022 have a connection to Tom Daniel, 70s Funny Cars, or 70s cars in general.  My kids are dipping their toes into modeling, and they're interested in stuff they see on the various Disney+ Star Wars shows, and my daughter wants the Gunpla kits from "My Hero Academia".  I want to encourage them into the hobby however that emerges, not force them to build mediocre SnapTite kits I barely have any connection to in my own childhood and then blame their lack of interest on "screens" and "no attention spans".  

Good on Atlantis for re-releasing the kits to spark nostalgia in adults, but I don't see these bringing in the kids.

20 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

As someone with a 9- & 11-year-old, I have to wonder what on earth makes you think kids would want these?  I mean they feasibly serve the purpose of a "basic" kit that Snaps together and is molded in color.  But these things were tooled up five years before *I* was born.  Sorry guys but very few kids in 2022 have a connection to Tom Daniel, 70s Funny Cars, or 70s cars in general.  My kids are dipping their toes into modeling, and they're interested in stuff they see on the various Disney+ Star Wars shows, and my daughter wants the Gunpla kits from "My Hero Academia".  I want to encourage them into the hobby however that emerges, not force them to build mediocre SnapTite kits I barely have any connection to in my own childhood and then blame their lack of interest on "screens" and "no attention spans".  

Good on Atlantis for re-releasing the kits to spark nostalgia in adults, but I don't see these bringing in the kids.

Well, you are closer than we are to the "Front Lines" so to speak, so your opinion matters more than mine does. Get your kids whatever interests them, and Model On.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:31 AM, niteowl7710 said:

You should bring up the kids with cool cars not cookie cutter cars !!! then theyd understand !!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It was previously mentioned on here and elsewhere that the second set of 1/32 funny cars, the Pinto, Vega, Mustang II and Gremlin were going to be reissued. I sent an inquiry to Atlantis just a few days ago, and the reply was that "there are no plans as of yet" in regard to these kits. So, it sounds like they have reconsidered or if they are coming, it will not be any time soon. I am not sure if the first set has sold well, but they seemed to have been positively received and reviewed. I was really hoping to see the second set as well.....

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 3:02 PM, larman said:

It was previously mentioned on here and elsewhere that the second set of 1/32 funny cars, the Pinto, Vega, Mustang II and Gremlin were going to be reissued. I sent an inquiry to Atlantis just a few days ago, and the reply was that "there are no plans as of yet" in regard to these kits. So, it sounds like they have reconsidered or if they are coming, it will not be any time soon. I am not sure if the first set has sold well, but they seemed to have been positively received and reviewed. I was really hoping to see the second set as well.....

Too bad.  Of all the cars from that series, those are the three I would be most interested in.  Especially the mustang II.  I have fond memories of that kit.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:31 AM, niteowl7710 said:

OK, old thread comment, but I have an 8 year old, and apparently some of my culture has rubbed off on him, because he just finished a 49 Ford Gasser and is now working on a 66 Mustang and a 77 Pinto. These were all his choices, not mine. Heck his favorite band is The Ventures! If kids aren't seeing anything besides Disney and Star Wars, that's on the parents.

15 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

OK, old thread comment, but I have an 8 year old, and apparently some of my culture has rubbed off on him, because he just finished a 49 Ford Gasser and is now working on a 66 Mustang and a 77 Pinto. These were all his choices, not mine. Heck his favorite band is The Ventures! If kids aren't seeing anything besides Disney and Star Wars, that's on the parents.

That's great, but really doesn't have anything to do with the idea of a bunch of ancient 1/32 SnapTite dragsters being made for 202x kids. They're being made for older guys who want to have some nostalgia of building them in 80s.

On 2/16/2024 at 1:44 AM, niteowl7710 said:

That's great, but really doesn't have anything to do with the idea of a bunch of ancient 1/32 SnapTite dragsters being made for 202x kids. They're being made for older guys who want to have some nostalgia of building them in 80s.

Well, how ancient are 49 Ford gassers? My 8 year old can't get enough of this stuff. And he has video games competing for his attention. The idea is, while spending time with your kids, you have to make it fun. Show them Youtube videos of those funny cars in action. There aren't many snap together models out there these days. We look for that stuff.

Sure, they are on the crude side for an adult, but they are a simple build for short attention spans. If you have an enthusiam for the subject matter, it'll rub off on them. Believe me, they won't be put off by lack of extra detail. The idea is to have fun and light the flame. 

Well said, dudes.

In addition, I would like to add: taking a genuine interest in what kids are into also expands tastes and interest, builds excitement, and strengthens relationships.

Little dude got me into Japanese and Euro cars, Mr. Beast, Roblox, and we play several games together. Might even get me into Minecraft next!

• Like 1