Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Nascar build, #3 Monte Carlo !

Lowlife ! !

Hi guys !

Been looking for something different to build and after seeing a few very detailed nascar builds I thought id give one a try !

Im building Dale Earnhardts Monte Carlo first, maybe build the Lumina as a different car as the paint scheme scares me off !

Nascar is non existant here in the UK so Ive spent quite a bit of time researching, studying various builds, and collecting pictures.

Finding a model was hard enough. This twin set was ordered from America , I then discovered the transfers were yellow, and folded, so Ive ordered a new set from Mikesdecals, 

20220131_110358.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 2

Following one of my reference pics i cut the front cage work off in front of the radiator.  Remade in plastic tubing, it was more awkward than i thought, but i got there eventually !

Worry was putting the body back on to check clearence etc, but it all fits in ok !

Ive added brackets for the Hood supports too, almost primer time now ! 

20220215_194010.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 2

Off to a good start! Not my main interest, but as automotive engineering goes, they are interesting constructs. I have built ( for other people) a couple, and I believe that nowhere is it more important to dry-fit and test EVERYTHING before gluing to get the model to sit right. Looks like you're up to the challenge!

Thanks Rusty !

Hoping you guys can help with a few questions along the way,  theres still a lot about these cars i dont understand..

Im not aiming for a exact replica of Dales car, more like a typical representation of a Nascar !

First is this, ive built up a bonnet frame , and i think it looks correct. But what about the tailgate ?

Some pics of models i can make out a frame, others look like it has the standard Chevrolet reinforcing ?

20220217_224559.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, Lowlife ! ! said:

But what about the tailgate ?

Some pics of models i can make out a frame, others look like it has the standard Chevrolet reinforcing

On 2/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, bisc63 said:

I believe that nowhere is it more important to dry-fit and test EVERYTHING 

Your on a very good start with your build.....Well done! ...so far!

As Rusty mentioned...fitment!    ... for "ride height" look up an article by Doug Whyte...The Whyte Way (ScaleAuto) he shows excellent tips while building Dale's car....should help you through it.

There is a situation of "which track" those certain pictures represent...you have different configurations for "weight" & "panel strength"....teams had different configurations for short track & super speedways

Screenshot_2022-02-22-19-51-35-1.png

Edited by Khils

Thanks Anton !

And thanks for the reply Kevin, 

Ive decided to put the car up on jacks with the wheels off, crafty way of avoiding getting the stance wrong ! But also because I obtained a very nice set of p/e discs and caliper`s to use.

I would have liked to have read that article, but SAE is hard to find here, and Ive imported half the kit from America so far ! 

Thanks for the tailgate information, I`ll have a trial and see which looks best !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy,

Been trying a new primer and it takes ages to dry ...
So i thought Id build the seat !
Again copying reference pictures Ive cut out openings in the seat for belts, added an extra panel for the head support and one where your feet go.
Seat belts are made from ribbon with p/e buckles, padding is sandpaper and theres a few p/e nuts n bolts to finish it off.
Its more of a typical Race seat I guess, as Earnhardts real seat seemed pretty plain in comparison ?

More soon, thanks for looking..

20220303_103117.jpg

20220306_160439.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 2

Finally got the chassis in paint, but not entirely happy as its a bit too orangey !

I was after MCW Poppy red, which i believe is the correct shade,  but could only order it from abroad... which is getting expensive !

So i had a guess at a shade of orange i had already, i think its better being more orange than red anyway, as some pics of the real car look closer to this.

Ive seen a terrific build by Clay Kemp so im trying to copy a few details from that. Nearly ready for the seat to go in, then theres fire extinguishers etc and the rest of the cage next.

Thanks for looking, more soon...

20220312_201851.jpg

20220312_202016.jpg

I believe Poppy Red is a Ford color, so a no-no for a Chevy man! It's also a bright orangish red, where Dale's car would have been a more crimson sort of red. Good ol' Testors red in the little bottles would be closer to correct, I think. Gurus here can help you more on that detail.

Hi, Martin. I built the 1998 Daytona 500 version of Dale's car and when I watched the race (it was my 20th birthday, by the way 😉), I had the "rabbit ears" style antenna. Because of the not-so-good reception, the box art of the model, and the dozens of pictures of the inside of the real car being red, I painted mine the same way. I found out a few years later that on certain races in the schedule that the inside was gray. I decided to leave mine as is. 😄

Thanks Rusty, and Mike..

Think there seems to be quite a bit of debate regarding Dales interior, now Im not trying to prove anyone right or wrong here but heres the pic i found online that i based the colour off.

Yes my interior looks more brown almost, in the pic above,  but i figured its closer than a strong red colour !

Thanks anyway, as I`ve said Im not building an exact replica so this is close enough for me !   

20220314_175436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys !
Bit more done, still waiting for some p/e parts from China to arrive so slow going at the moment !
Scratchbuilt floor mat has been screwed down, fire extinquisher with hold down straps and a couple more bars added to the cage.
Also started the fuel cell, more p/e bolts and Im trying to recreate the panels each side, which are chrome card then detail added with a toothpick !
Might redo these as there a bit too shiny ?

More soon and thanks for looking...

20220329_115720.jpg

20220329_115746.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the interior is finished, cage was a real pain as i had to extend a couple of bars as it didnt fit together !
Electrical boxes and wiring was fun, and dash was fitted. I gave up with transfers so hand painted the dials, still need to gloss these !
Added the steering wheel button (its teeny) and wiring, rest of the cage, window supports, rear shelf, then there was those cooling tubes..
Didnt like the kit parts, but by chance i found a girls hair band and had an idea ! Added a brass tube inside it and i think it looks better than the kit part anyway !

On to suspension next ! Thanks for looking !

20220416_125242.jpg

20220416_125551.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reply Anton, im afraid i cant help regards the engine size, ive not built any other Nascars before !  Once the engine is in place, i hope your see from the pictures i post ! 

Talking of engines, I`ve started mine !

I dechromed the valve covers as these should be black, bit more p/e on the pulleys and started on those hose ends ! They are a pain but look cool so im happy so far..
Aftermarket distributor, cos im fed up drilling these things out !   And still need to tidy the wires up yet.. 
Also been trying out various metaliser paints, you can polish the exhaust and they get shinier !

The headers came out looking rusty, in real life there a bit more subtle !

Loads more to go yet but thought id show you whats happening on the bench !

20220704_105344.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 1

Sweet progress!

That looks more like what i found in the Nascar truck which seems to be in scale. In comparisson to an other 1/25 v8 engine they should look to be about the same size. The old Monogram Engines, also found in their 1970 Chevelle or 1971 Cuda are way to big. So it would look Cool they have said!

• 5 months later...