Model Cars Magazine Forum

texas

gary jackson

😎😎😎

Welcome back to the "plastic world" GARY!!!!

Recently moved from East Texas (Longview) to Ky,  and one of the best shows within "sensible" driving distance was the Dallas show.  Lotsa friendly competitors, vendors, and usually covered by the national magazines..    To find out a bunch of the particulars, when you first open up onto the forum, there is a list of "upcoming shows" on the right hand side.  Click on the METROPLEX CAR MODELERS SHOWDOWN 2022  (It is on March 5th).  Know that is a pretty good haul for you, but well worth the drive.

DJ

Anyone can check the IPMS/USA Events page to find the IPMS shows (most of what is in Texas) in their area:
https://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/all-events

You can also check the Houston Automotive Modelers Society's "Latest News" page. First entry I put up there every year is a list of the shows (IPMS or not) for the coming year that I know of in Texas and the surrounding area that would be of interest to car modelers. I update the post throughout the year as more shows get announced:
https://www.ipms-hams.org/category/blog/

There are presently 6 shows left this year in Texas I know of, plus a 7th (in Austin) that will get announced later in the year.

Edited by vintagerpm

On 2/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, gary jackson said:

ive been out of the contest scene for about 20 years .are there any contest in texas anymore

they are 2 in the Houston area ever year and if you want to drive to Louisiana right across the state line we have one here in May..

Edited by yh70

11 hours ago, yh70 said:

they are 3 in the Houston area ever year and if you want to drive to Louisiana right across the state line we have one here in May..

Dave, if there are 3 in the Houton area, I'd love to know about the third. I know of IPMS-Houston and HAMS. What is the third show?

Edited by vintagerpm

13 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Dave, if there are 3 in the Houton area, I'd love to know about the third. I know of IPMS-Houston and HAMS. What is the third show?

woops..type o mistake. hit wrong key. thanks for bring it to my attention Mike ill correct it..at 67 i dont see to well..lol.. now question for you..i use to go to the HAMS show (i build Big Rigs) but have not went back since they put military trucks in the commercial truck class. What was the reason for that ? Someone on the board builds military ?. i know most all the truck builders that go to the show and they are not to happy about it..so if you dont mine pass that on to to the board members.. i started going to that show back in the 80's (it changed names a few times) and it always been a great show..load up and come to our show here in Louisiana in May..it used to be in Lake Charles but now it will be in Sulphur La..22 miles from Tx state line..

13 hours ago, yh70 said:

woops..type o mistake. hit wrong key. thanks for bring it to my attention Mike ill correct it..at 67 i dont see to well..lol.. now question for you..i use to go to the HAMS show (i build Big Rigs) but have not went back since they put military trucks in the commercial truck class. What was the reason for that ? Someone on the board builds military ?. i know most all the truck builders that go to the show and they are not to happy about it..so if you dont mine pass that on to to the board members.. i started going to that show back in the 80's (it changed names a few times) and it always been a great show..load up and come to our show here in Louisiana in May..it used to be in Lake Charles but now it will be in Sulphur La..22 miles from Tx state line..

Dang. I was hoping there was another show I didn't know about.

As for the military vehicles. We did this as a way to bring others into the show. It was done as an expansion of Emergency Vehicles which had been lumped in with Commerical Vehicles. It worked a little too well. Categories have been altered for this year. Military vehicles are still allowed but anything other than jeeps, cars, or transport trucks now go in their own military category. (Still the rule of wheeled vehicles only - no tanks.) But trucks are trucks and jeeps are jeeps, whether they are civilian or military.