Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Palmer 1932 Chevy Cabriolet Hot Rod

Pete68

This is a very old Palmer model kit from the 60s that I got in a collection off of eBay. I will be turning this into a 60s Street Hot Rod. I’ll be using parts from the Lindberg Show Rods kit. I removed the Engine and the Spare tire wells. I’m not big fan on  putty but I thought I would try out this Tamiya putty it’s not bad easy to work with. That will be all for tonight. 

EAC9A0D6-75D3-4F45-B5B3-5FF84C7CF981.jpeg

7DA6EE1A-4DBC-47AA-8E29-1F4B042119C1.jpeg

141DD3F4-A0A0-4B0D-B979-2BEB918D43F5.jpeg

0E38AF06-6AD1-492A-8C21-3F9DA89731EB.jpeg

051A4021-8E3A-4C38-BEE6-B678F323BB8D.jpeg

FF707AE8-25E9-4EDF-81B1-DB87C2E6489F.jpeg

5007D72A-25EA-4152-964C-88842990D2E9.jpeg

CDB1F81C-2A3E-4524-BFC9-6AC59657DEA5.jpeg

This is a fun build. A nostalgia build, for sure. One of my first ever model car builds was a Pyro or Palmer 49 Ford, 1/32 scale. Putty is definitely your friend on these kits! I'm really digging your modifications on this, and it should be quite a good looking little hot rod when finished. Shapes over all look pretty nice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

This is a fun build. A nostalgia build, for sure. One of my first ever model car builds was a Pyro or Palmer 49 Ford, 1/32 scale. Putty is definitely your friend on these kits! I'm really digging your modifications on this, and it should be quite a good looking little hot rod when finished. Shapes over all look pretty nice.

Thanks for the complement. I really like these little kits always did. I plan on building more of these out of my stash. Glad I could bring back some memories. 

Edited by Pete68

This is a cool project.

From my experience with Tamiya fillers, they're best used for filling minor imperfections right before final primer due to the fact that they tend to shrink quite a bit. If you're going to do heavier bodywork in the future I would recommend one of the automotive grade 2-part fillers because they don't shrink hardly at all and cure quickly to keep your project moving. I personally use Dolphin Glaze (I know, weird name) that I bought for about $20 on eBay. It will last a long time and tends to stay fresher longer than the fillers that come in cans because this comes in a big pouch, kind of like a tube of toothpaste.

Looking forward to seeing your further enhancements to this project

5 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

This is a cool project.

From my experience with Tamiya fillers, they're best used for filling minor imperfections right before final primer due to the fact that they tend to shrink quite a bit. If you're going to do heavier bodywork in the future I would recommend one of the automotive grade 2-part fillers because they don't shrink hardly at all and cure quickly to keep your project moving. I personally use Dolphin Glaze (I know, weird name) that I bought for about $20 on eBay. It will last a long time and tends to stay fresher longer than the fillers that come in cans because this comes in a big pouch, kind of like a tube of toothpaste.

Looking forward to seeing your further enhancements to this project

Funny you post this my Brother and I just had a conversation about it today I told him I wasn’t happy with the way it turned out he said I used the wrong putty. I think I’m going to redo this with plastic and Balloons like I did the bottom portion.  Thanks for point that out and the advise Hope to have more updates soon 

Edited by Pete68