Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC General Wrecker

Starting the next project, a GMC General Wrecker.  I like the look of the former Jamie Davis General so here goes.  AMT General kit and a Holmes wrecker off a First Gear Mack wrecker.  I used the same wrecker body for the Brockway wrecker I did a couple of years ago.  This one will have a weighted bumper out front and a few other little things.  It will be basically patterned after Jamie's but as I'm not up to scratch building a Holmes 1601, it'll have a 750 lattice boom.

First thing i'm finding is the AMT kit has some issues, biggest one so far is no locating pins on the front springs and the left side front shock needs a new mounting hole on the frame, it's off by about 1/8 inch.  I'm sure there will be other issues as I progress.....

Chassis is coming along, running into the usual issues of fit but I've made it work.  I'll have a few pics in a few days.  I decided to remove the kit rear axle stubs and use metal axles as the weight of the wrecker body would probably break or warp the plastic over time.  If you've built this kit, you know that those rear axles are only half supported.

I'm going with 11x22's as I like the look of a larger wheel/tire.  The General kit comes with 10x20's.  I'm re-working the brake drums etc to get the different wheels and tires mated to the chassis.  Engine is done, needs paint, cab and hood are close to paint but I may hold off until I get the wrecker body ready and paint everything at the same time......I learned the hard way with the orange Husky, painted the fenders 6 months after the cab and even though the paint came from the same bottle the color was noticably different.

• 5 months later...

Jumped back on this project, made the thing in front of the wrecker body, looks like a weight as there aren't any  doors and it's kinda narrow.  Got the chassis painted and the wrecker body has been masked (the silver deck, no need to re-paint!), shot with Pollyscale light gray undercoat and base coated with Mission Models white primer.  This evens the base tone with the white plastic parts for the cab and chassis.  I've found out the hard way that the base has to be the same tone or the color coat won't match on the various parts.  The white will have to set up for a couple of days, then I'll mask off the white diagonal stripes on the rear and shoot the cab, hood and wrecker body in one shot.  I'm looking at changing the red, might decide to dull and darken it a bit.....dang squirrels....

P1030546.jpg

P1030548.jpg

P1030549.jpg

5adbab444b561_JamieDavis1.png.02c947cae7b2fbed9d89ee564bafdd1d.png

• 2 weeks later...