Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obsolete AMT Parts

While looking at the AMT 1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible instruction sheet, I was reminded of a few parts and pieces which have been lost to time, rendered obsolete, or just plain no longer included, for various reasons. Almost entirely exclusive to 1960s era AMT kits, these parts were once deemed a necessary inclusion, but, as times, preferences, and material and production costs changed, have since vanished, leaving only remnants, and sometimes, no trace at all, of what once was.

While chassis-to-body screws (shown below) are still included with a select few vintage AMT kits, the two once-common methods for providing an operating hood mechanism, a rubber band and/or metal hood clip, have long ago been eliminated. The rubber band, its matching pin on the underside of the hood, and how both worked in unison, can be seen on the instruction sheet below:

AMT61PontBonnCV3.jpg.83f8a0fb5f126b944ae0f00d20ca696e.jpg

A second method which allowed for an operating hood was with the use a of a small metal clip-- essentially a C-shaped (in cross-section) metal spring which clamped the body shell and a tab at the rear edge of the hood together, as shown on these AMT '64 Olds F-85 Cutlass and '57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop instruction sheets:

AMT64OldsF85CutlassHThoodclip.jpg.10f84fa89972a683b7eaed3e07228c5a.jpg

AMT1957ChevroletTS3hoodclip.jpg.d755c94528b635c5b1b5d679be23636b.jpg

The metal hood clip is also shown on this AMT '63 Chevy Impala SS instruction sheet:

AMT1962ChevyImpalSC3hoodclip.jpg.73090b05314a2facd8678cc169e3df0e.jpg

I don't which kits still retain the hood and body tabs, but I suspect a few still do.

I also don't think whitewall stickers were around long, either, and maybe only included inside a few '60s AMT kits? The '57 Bel Air Hardtop for sure, which is where the below comes from:

AMT1957ChevroletTSwhitewallstickers.jpg.912d3e0bec0c7e404e5896f2f6c859fb.jpg

Upholstery stickers were included in some Customizing kits for a brief time, too, but I don't think they really ever caught on, perhaps because they were expected to stick to non-flat surfaces. AMT 1963 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport Coupe shown below, which also included the whitewall stickers, and hood clip:

AMT63ChevImpalaSSCupholststickers.jpg.ad49e0a8ba9532ab96be45ac3c89323e.jpg

Edited by Casey

• Casey changed the title to Obsolete AMT Parts

All those metal clips did was scratch paint, potentially break the cowl, and hold the hood so tightly that it would wear the edge of the cowl if opened too many times.  I never used them then, and don't miss them now.

The upholstery stickers were used, I have seen plenty of builtups with them as wel as the remnants of cut sheets in parts boxes.

The whitewall stickers went away after about 1964, they may have hung around a bit longer until the Trophy Series kits were all reboxed in the mid-Sixties.  Those actually worked pretty well.

I remember talking to a fellow whose grandmother bought him his model kits when he getting started building models in the early 1960's.She also made sure that he would show her the finished product before offering to buy him another kit. After finishing the very first one to his taste by selecting just optional pieces he actually preferred he probably revealed it to his grandma hoping for her approval and being allowed to pick his next kit. 

Much to his surprise she asked to see the box the kit had originally come in. She looked into the box,saw the left over optional parts and decals and was very displeased and not smiling. The young man asked what was wrong then got a surprising answer. Grandma was raised in a time when waste of anything was not acceptable. She asked why he didn't use everything and told him that was wasting her money and would not buy any more kit unless every single thing included was used. That of course lead to future model with lots of scoops,side pipes,louvers,antennas and decals. Great perspective on what used to be included and has since deleted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I remember talking to a fellow whose grandmother bought him his model kits when he getting started building models in the early 1960's.She also made sure that he would show her the finished product before offering to buy him another kit. After finishing the very first one to his taste by selecting just optional pieces he actually preferred he probably revealed it to his grandma hoping for her approval and being allowed to pick his next kit. 

Much to his surprise she asked to see the box the kit had originally come in. She looked into the box,saw the left over optional parts and decals and was very displeased and not smiling. The young man asked what was wrong then got a surprising answer. Grandma was raised in a time when waste of anything was not acceptable. She asked why he didn't use everything and told him that was wasting her money and would not buy any more kit unless every single thing included was used. That of course lead to future model with lots of scoops,side pipes,louvers,antennas and decals. Great perspective on what used to be included and has since deleted.

I've seen a lot of his models on eBay. Even bought a couple. :lol::lol::lol:

From now on these "everything AND the kitchen sink" models will be known as "Grandma models." :lol::lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Jo-Han used that "rubber band on the hood" deal in 1963.  The reissue '63 Fury had the pin on the underside of the hood.  I believe the instructions mentioned it, but don't recall whether or not one was included.  I'm not sure about their '62 kits (only a few had opening hoods) but the USA Oldies reissues didn't have that feature.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Jo-Han used that "rubber band on the hood" deal in 1963.  The reissue '63 Fury had the pin on the underside of the hood.  I believe the instructions mentioned it, but don't recall whether or not one was included.

There it is:

JOHAN1963PlymouthFuryCV3-vi.jpg.a0b39e25a2549f63d960a8bac32af97b.jpg

I have about 3 of the Hood Clamps. You can still find the screws and hold-down washers in a few AMT Kits, even today.

I second Rusty 92, this is a great Thread. Every now and then, you will open a New Re-Issue of an old AMT kit and there are still Styline Custom Bits, spare Chrome trim pieces and what-not, left over from the kits glorious past. 2 recent examples are the '65 Ford Mod-Stock racer, and the '60 Ford Ranchero. Other AMT Kits show the same thing, only usually with fewer parts.

• Like 1

I have seen the plastic washers and plastic pins instead of screws and save the washer and an extra pin or two. I don’t remember ever seeing any upholstery sticker or white wall decals. I don’t recall seeing any metal clips. I could  use the upholstery stickers if still around. I have been building since the early 70’s and could have forgot a few things.

Thank you Casey and gentlemen for the great history on model kits… 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 5:57 AM, Reegs said:

I remember the screws, hood clip, hold-down washers, and white wall stickers (which I could never center properly).

It was difficult to remove the whitewall stickers from the backing sheet without stretching them.

Edited by sfhess
  • Like 1

A lot of the custom parts offered in kits like the 66-69 Riviera and Buick Wildcat kits are beyond dated, and are a waste of plastic at this point. 

I've always wished the model companies would put more effort with staying current, with custom parts in older model kits over the years. Revell has kinda taken a stab at it with the California Wheels kits, and then the Foose stuff. 

But a modern engine, a four link rear end, some fender flares, tubular a-arms, and some modern pro-touring wheels/tires, would make the 70.5 Camaro a VERY popular kit.