Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 El Camino Custom - Update 12/05/2022 - Calling it Done

While vexing on color options for the Alpha Models Ferrari GTC4Lusso, I decided to start a period custom.  Looking at my options, I elected to pull the AMT 59 El Camino out of the stash and use it as the base.  For those not familiar with it, this kit does have an acceptable chassis with separate suspension and exhaust.  It is lacking in interior detail, including only engraved pieces on the door cards. 

s-l640.jpg.438b565769573a2af43ebf112e79ad54.jpg

To help the process, I also pulled out the Revell 59 Chevy Custom Hardtop.  This kit will supply some custom parts to the El Camino.  Wheels are from a Fujimi kit that was issued several years ago which will be applied with American Satco wide whitewalls (I still have a couple of remaining sets).

SAM_2230.JPG.688b557b4726a7a73cb1c06ba46731b2.JPG

Body mods started with a 3mm (about 3 scale inches) chop to the top.  Not aggressive but contributes to the effect.  I also scraped the standard body side molding and replaced with Evergreen half round strip shaped at the ends.  I applied the custom front pan from the El Camino kit and the front “eyelet” fillers from the Revell kit.  I also applied the Revell kit rear fender skirts which required a little shaping.

For the pickup bed, I decided to do a diamond plate floor.  A wood floor seemed out of place and carpet/upholstery would limit options on finishing.  I am not totally sold on this, but it is done.  The sides of the bed area had two parts which did not fit well on the kit I have.  I decided to do tuck and roll sides, applying scale corrugated siding for the effect.  Evergreen quarter round trim around the sides completed the effect.  The chrome trim on the El Camino is very faint and I bolstered that with Evergreen angle strips of various sizes.

After some cleanup, first primer round is done.  Need some cleanup and final primer.  Work will move on to interior mods, engine and chassis.  Right now, the color choice is Tamiya Base White with Bob’s Paints Crème Brulee over it.  Interior will be white and tan/cream. 

59 Elky (1).JPG

59 Elky (2).JPG

59 Elky (3).JPG

59 Elky (4).JPG

59 Elky (5).JPG

59 Elky (6).JPG

59 Elky (7).JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder
Update
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

The fact that your kitbashing from the start tells me you have been at this hobby for awhile. Since you chopped the top, I am curious how you get the windshield to fit since it has so much curvature.

I actually test fitted and it can be cut down to fit.  I'll show it later.  I was able to trim the rear as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the first white primer coat on the body.  Needs a couple of tweaks before final primer.  Then Tamiya Base White will be applied before Bob's Paint Creme Brulee.

Started on the interior, taking the custom interior of the Revell 59 2n1 and merging into the AMT interior.   I also cut out the door panels and will use the Revell panels as well.  Still more work to go on this.

59 Elky (8).JPG

59 Elky (9).JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Agreed, I may need to investigate that with the kits I have too!

Besides the very tastefully way that Gary did this interior some other materials to consider. I used Plastruct #91519 O scale Corrugated Siding for Tuck and Roll Interior panels. There are other products out there, but this is something I tried and will use again in the future.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 7:01 AM, espo said:

Besides the very tastefully way that Gary did this interior some other materials to consider. I used Plastruct #91519 O scale Corrugated Siding for Tuck and Roll Interior panels. There are other products out there, but this is something I tried and will use again in the future.  

That was option 1.  And it is what is used for the sides of the bed.

• 2 months later...

Now that we are back from our trip east, I pulled out the El Camino and got back at it.  I applied a clear coat, a few Gofer Gold Pinstripe decals for accent and a light covering clear coat over that.  Will let cure and then heavy clear coat for sanding polishing.

On the interior, I toyed with several two tones and settled on a dark yellow with white.  It fits the color scheme.  I applied a dark tan carpeting plus painted the dash body color.  The dash will be glued to the interior after detailing and fitment.  More detail yet to come.

59 Elky (12).JPG

59 Elky (13).JPG

59 Elky (14).JPG

• Like 2

• Exotics_Builder changed the title to 1959 El Camino Custom - Update 12/05/2022 - Calling it Done