Model Cars Magazine Forum

date and price guide of models

2 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Those things are out of date before they are printed, price wise.

Any print form has prices that are just guesses or out of date. If you want an idea of current market value do an eBay search and filter sold items. That is the current market value - at least for people buying on eBay. 
The Directory of Model Car Kits is actually a very useful directory. Use it in combination with eBay to derive information. 

• Like 1

this may be a differnt topic, but I will never understand somone paying $250 for an "Original" kit when the repop includes more parts, and is $30-50. 

But, I am a builder, not a collector. 

More to the topic, yes, Ebay, Facebook groups, Kijiji and other online places are a good place  to look. 

Also, there are a few online dealers like Model Roudup that sell vintage kits, they sem to be a reasonable place to look for a vintage kit value.

At a minimum the price guide is a great compilation of what was available and when.  You can generally also see if the kit had ever been reissued.  While the prices listed are obviously a starting point it will help those just beginning to collect/build avoid paying way too much for kits listed on ebay as "rare" "super rare" or "ultra rare".  We've all seen those on ebay and have to chuckle, but they're preying on the new, uninformed collectors.  

So, don't use the current guide for actually buying or selling, but rather for the info it provides.

My take on this.