Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printed and resin cast 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88

Car #3 is one of those cars you just don't see on the road any longer.....not even so much at a show. When Robert mentioned in his list that he was going to 3D print and cast this one, BOOM!.....I jumped at the chance!

It's a 1976 Olds Delta 88, and it would be the last year for the traditional "land yachts" from GM. '77 would start the whole downsizing craze and things just wouldn't be the same after that.

Once again, this is an absolutely excellent casting, with nary a proportion out of place! I'd go for the half vinyl roof option once again on this (it's soooooo "1970's"), and I'd half to source out some sort of chassis, interior, and engine to make this a full detail build. Hats off to Too Many Projects......keep crankin' 'em out Robert!

Here are some pics..........

P1017287.JPG.e63b22b3ac3e8f8cbd39a94a136b2b56.JPG
P1017288.JPG.bbaefec5e962277a82a1443ff5251965.JPG
P1017289.JPG.0d356d0eb29cd93f1040eeb7c430eeb9.JPG
P1017290.JPG.a4239fb772e00a9bb22c60685b40028b.JPG
P1017291.JPG.cc7b85a7b6f3f584b2270f2dde15f462.JPG
P1017292.JPG.17090980abb4a6ad80889a2b6c708485.JPG
P1017293.JPG.3afa0277af38e6143e92233c3c679cae.JPG
P1017294.JPG.0036d2d0d19db0fc310dc7425947c50f.JPG
  • Like 3

Looks pretty accurate...I guess the place to start for a chassis and interior tub would be the MPC '76 Caprice...wheelbase is a few inches shorter, but about as close as you can get.   Burns/TMP resin bodies are great, I have a few in my stash...early '70s Mopar C-bodies and a '67 Olds 88.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

Rob, the crazy man inside of me says to perhaps use the AMT '67 Chevy, floorpan, and some of the interior and go from there. At least those are all separate pieces, particularly the frame rails, so stretching them out would be easier. The dash if I can get a file for that, I may 3D print it, or make one from scratch.

• Like 1

That’s pretty cool. His products appear to be very accurate representations, and man does he have a lot to offer! Serious amount of time and money for a finished product, but as seen by Paul Hettick’s versions of some of the bodies, they get respect. 

Did some quick googling and found THIS for frame reference material, for those taking the plunge!

Edited by Erik Smith
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wrenchr said:

Would the revell low rider caddy chassis work? 

If they modeled that true to scale, it would still be a bit short. Caddy's of that era ran 121.5" wheelbases, while the '76 Delta 88 ran on a 123" one. I don't think any of the kit makers have ever kitted any of the larger B body frames except for the '70's Chevy Caprices.

Either which way, I have some stretching and massaging no matter what chassis I use.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, Erik Smith said:

That’s pretty cool. His products appear to be very accurate representations, and man does he have a lot to offer! Serious amount of time and money for a finished product, but as seen by Paul Hettick’s versions of some of the bodies, they get respect. 

Did some quick googling and found THIS for frame reference material, for those taking the plunge!

Interesting you mentioned Paul Hettick......I was talking to Robert the other day, and I said I may get a third car to go with my newest order. He's got a 1970 Buick Riviera, which is another car I thought about "transforming" one of these days.

Robert asked me to hold off, because he wanted to run the body by Paul to check for any inaccuracies. I told him Paul has a VERY good eye in picking up on wonky body lines, so keep me posted!

Yes, his list of cars is ever growing, and according to his latest post, he wants to get into one offs and show cars in the not too distant future. He was taking requests for what we'd like to see. One of them I asked about, he said he's going to be printing it come next year.

Which car was that?? This one.............. :wub:

709600945_1956CorvetteSR-2A.JPG.3efe5191335220cf9b2dd9af37756e9b.JPG
101491912_1956CorvetteSR-2B.JPG.a634a0b87d6de6b370798a3735877f65.JPG

10 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Interesting you mentioned Paul Hettick......I was talking to Robert the other day, and I said I may get a third car to go with my newest order. He's got a 1970 Buick Riviera, which is another car I thought about "transforming" one of these days.

Robert asked me to hold off, because he wanted to run the body by Paul to check for any inaccuracies. I told him Paul has a VERY good eye in picking up on wonky body lines, so keep me posted!

Yes, his list of cars is ever growing, and according to his latest post, he wants to get into one offs and show cars in the not too distant future. He was taking requests for what we'd like to see. One of them I asked about, he said he's going to be printing it come next year.

Which car was that?? This one.............. :wub:

709600945_1956CorvetteSR-2A.JPG.3efe5191335220cf9b2dd9af37756e9b.JPG
101491912_1956CorvetteSR-2B.JPG.a634a0b87d6de6b370798a3735877f65.JPG

Pretty awesome. From what I read, he quit his day job and will be committing to this stuff full time. If he does this much part time, can't wait to see what a full time gig will be. It would be really cool to see a full kit offered - at the least, a chassis, interior tub and glass - I would gladly fork over a decent wad of cash for that. As it stands, I know myself well to enough to realize I would have trouble keeping up and finishing one of the projects as he currently offers them, awesome as they are.

• Like 2

How do I find Robert on Facebook? I clicked on the link but can't seem to figure out how to get to his main page. I'd like to get a couple of the Cutlasses, but need to wait until I get my tax returns. Thought I'd friend him on Facebook and wait for the next group buy.

3 minutes ago, Dys said:

How do I find Robert on Facebook? I clicked on the link but can't seem to figure out how to get to his main page. I'd like to get a couple of the Cutlasses, but need to wait until I get my tax returns. Thought I'd friend him on Facebook and wait for the next group buy.

He's got a group buy going on right now..Facebook user 'Too Many Projects'.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=too many projects

20 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

If they modeled that true to scale, it would still be a bit short. Caddy's of that era ran 121.5" wheelbases, while the '76 Delta 88 ran on a 123" one. I don't think any of the kit makers have ever kitted any of the larger B body frames except for the '70's Chevy Caprices.

Either which way, I have some stretching and massaging no matter what chassis I use.

Even so MPC used the previous chassis under those. No correct B body GM 71-76 frame was ever made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dys said:

He had answered a number of times, including my response when I ordered from him. His cut-off time for this round I think is the 25th. I don't think he'll be putting up another group buy until sometime next month.

If you'd like something when his group buy comes up again, I'd answer right in the post what you'd like, and then follow his instructions in his post as to what info to put in your PayPal payment.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, MrObsessive said:

He had answered a number of times, including my response when I ordered from him. His cut-off time for this round I think is the 25th. I don't think he'll be putting up another group buy until sometime next month.

If you'd like something when his group buy comes up again, I'd answer right in the post what you'd like, and then follow his instructions in his post as to what info to put in your PayPal payment.

I think he’s doing trucks next month? Even Hermel asked about a specific truck and that was the answer IIRC. I could go back and read again but probably won’t any time soon. 

On 2/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, Dys said:

Ditto, but I went ahead and went through the ordering process and got a reply this weekend from him that he got my order & payment for the 56 MkII.

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Thank goodness he didn't do a '57 Buick Century hardtop - my wallet would have taken a hit and I would have had to dig up another '58 Buick interior for it... ;)

He does do a '57 Caballero wagon though..........I have one of 'em.  😁

As far as the Century hardtop, many years ago, I picked up an already painted '57 at a show. I don't know who made it, but I suspect it's an R&R body. I'd like to do either of those someday, but I need really good shots of the undersides as the chassis' on those were a bit different than the other divisions.