Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Revell GMC Syclone, hopefully a little different...

We'll see where this goes; and I normally don't post in-progress pics of something that I feel may be a little out of my comfort zone.   

I'm going to attempt to Frankenstein parts from the remains of an early issue of the Revell GMC Syclone, parts from the Monogram S-10 "Waverider" that I picked up somewhere, and a few bits of styrene to build something similar to the Marlboro Syclones that were part of the 1992 "Marlboro Syclone” contest giveaway.   I wasn't aware of these until trying to find Syclone pictures for yet another Syclone that I have planned.  (can't have too many projects in the works, right?)

To my knowledge, 10 of these were built from existing Syclones pulled from the assembly line and shipped to American Sunroof Corporation for the conversion work.    For my build, I have no plans to add the Marlboro logos, but do plan to use the similar markings that were part of the 2010 issue of the Revell kit.  

According to what little I've read, the Marlboro Syclone featured the following changes:

• ASC converted the roof to a targa-style roof panel with mounts in the pick-up bed  -> I've cut out the roof; I'm thinking about building a 'holder' for it for the bed, if I can find a picture online showing what this looked like.
  • C.R. Laurence PowerLite slide-down rear window assembly -> I've started making a frame for this; obviously it won't really roll down here. :)
  • Guidon hard tonneau cover -> I think I can fashion this from a part from the AMT S-10
  • Boyd Coddington “Cobra” wheels with Marlboro emblem center caps & Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires --> hmmm....?
  • PPG Industries “Hot Licks” Red paint --> I'm going with Tamiya for this.
  • White strobe stripes, windshield decal, & Marlboro emblems provided by Graphik Concepts -> decals in the 2010 release of the Revell Syclone have the strobe stripes.   I don't care about the Marlboro logos (to each his own)
  • Recaro leather seats with Simpson 5-Point racing harness --> Not sure how I'm going to do this?  I think the seats in the old, and I guess rare, Testors/Fujimi Nissan MID4 kit seem to be close.  
  • Custom Momo “Evolution” steering wheel  --> I need to source this.
  • Sony sound system  --> not sure it'll be noticeable.  
  • PROMPaq performance chip and Borla stainless steel exhaust --> I need to find pictures of this.
  • Bell Tech suspension dropped 3 inches --> I plan to modify the "lowrider" suspension from the Revell 3-n-1 S-10 Lowrider

So far, I've cut out the roof and added the crossmember that is prominent in some pictures of these trucks.  I need to possible modify this to reflect what appears to be a interior/concave fillet at each end - very much like T-tops.

2022-02-17-11-00-16-388_orig.jpeg

This is the inspiration.   Picture lifted from the International SyTy Registry:

MarlboroFoldout.jpg

Interior pic nabbed from Road and Track:

gallery-1435675628-used-1991-gmc-sonoma-

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I like it!

The seats look a lot like some of the 80s Corvette seats. Porsche also had some Recaros that were similar, and I'm reasonably confident they have been kitted. Will update this post when I find a source or proof. 

the stock revell beretta has those seats

1 hour ago, Jared Roach said:

Im a huge s-series guy and i've been wanting to build this one for years. I have everything but the wheels and seats, that's what's holding me back. 

I can't wait to see the progress on this one.

I think I'm going to have to wing it a little on the wheels.... 

Minor work, probably not worth reporting. :)

I filled in the small cut outs that are on the kit's back window with strips of styrene.  I think this will be visible from inside the cab once this is all done.

2022-02-20-10-48-51-822_orig.jpeg

... And I'm trying a different approach to the roof.  I had previously cut out the targa top, and I've glued one piece of styrene sheet in it's place, but this is attached just below the existing roofline.   I'll then score this a few times and hopefully have the "T-top-frame-targa-roof" thing in place.  I flipped the body of a Tamiya T-top 280ZX to trace the outline, but I need to refine it before I start trimming.

2022-02-20-10-49-05-360_orig.jpeg

I've reinforced this from the underside, too.  Hopefully, I can blend this all together in some semblance of what it should look like.  Artistic license, yeah, that's it.  

The frame you see below will be the frame for the back window.  I think. :)

2022-02-20-10-48-37-199_orig.jpeg

Thanks for looking ... 

• Like 1

I know these not are the exact wheels used on the Marlboro Syclone, but I think with painted centers, it'll be close enough. 

I found these on eBay and hopefully they'll be here soon.  

wheels_orig.jpg

At least to the casual observer, I hope, I can come close to these...

wheels1_orig.jpg

Also, can anyone identify this seat?  I found one in my spares, but I have no idea where it came from.  I did buy a mixed lot of seats several years ago, and I guess it's from that; but I don't what kit this belongs to.  I think I can get close to the seats used in the truck by starting with this.   Problem is, I only have the one.  Maybe it's finally time to learn how to cast resin copies?  (Ignore the "line" at the front of the seat)

2022-02-27-18-02-50-191_orig.jpeg

2022-02-27-18-02-58-847_orig.jpeg

2022-02-27-18-03-07-102_orig.jpeg

Here's what I'm trying to replicate:

seats1_orig.jpg

seats3_orig.jpg

Edited by Jonathan

Nice, the seats looks to me like a C4 leather seat, there where many variants in those corvettes some how. Judging by the styrene color I would say it’s an AMT seat so maby look through the different AMT corvette kits to se if you find what you need.

wheels looks like being the same outer face. But the inner looks different. But I think you can mod them with a exato and a styrene sheet, or if you find a suitable other wheel to put behind the one you bought.. 

1993-Corvette-Bolster.jpg

Edited by Mattilacken
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, Jordan White said:

The wheels are actually fairly close, you could do a little trimming and add a little styrene if you wanted to make them pretty much like the real ones. Otherwise, with them painted black, most people won't notice unless they are looking closely. 

That's what I'm thinking, too.  

On 3/4/2022 at 12:10 AM, slusher said:

Your wheels are from the 67 Chevy chrome ones, with the yellow car on the box.   The Seats are Corvette seats, I used them in a build once…

Wheels are currently in the purple pond, to strip the chrome and clean them up.  I'll probably use Alclad II aluminum and Tamiya gloss black for the wheels.

I cut up the seat that I have and have tweaked it to more look like what's in the pictures I've found.  I'm hoping to try this as my first resin cast .... 

I did find that the "custom" steering wheel in the Revell Oldsmobile 442/FE3-X looks a whole like the steering wheel in the Marlboro Syclone.  

Not much update currently, you know "life".   More to come soon, I hope ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Cool project! That seat looks like it's from the '90s issues of the AMT '57 Ford, which featured a selection of 2-n-1 features. I think this version has those seats?:

172257-10571-pristine.jpg

I would never have expected these seats to be in that kit, but I think you're right.  

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

but I think you're right.  

Mmm, nope. I just checked the instructions and some online auction listings that show the kit components and I was incorrect. The '57 Ford seats are different; more pronounced bolsters and a different upholstery pattern.

But I DO have a couple sets of those seats in my stash! Hmm...what the heck are they from? I'll keep looking.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:52 AM, Spex84 said:

Mmm, nope. I just checked the instructions and some online auction listings that show the kit components and I was incorrect. The '57 Ford seats are different; more pronounced bolsters and a different upholstery pattern.

But I DO have a couple sets of those seats in my stash! Hmm...what the heck are they from? I'll keep looking.

"Where did that come from?"  I understand!

Little update.  Not as much bench time as I'd like lately ...

I think the steering wheel from the Revell Oldsmobile 442/FE3-X will work just fine.  Close enough for my purposes ...

I need to fine-tune the body cladding some, but I think I'm getting there.  I'm planning to leave the wheels as-is.

spacer.png

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 1