Model Cars Magazine Forum

Write a review of an album that changed your life.

David G.

I think the album "Fashion Nugget" by Cake had the biggest impact on me when it was released. I was in my mid-teens and kinda still feeling out who I was..... I found the lyrics to be refreshing and unlike anything I had heard before. The music also pulled me in, it's kinda jazz in some places, most songs are just laid back and really easy to listen to. Here's one from that album, called Open Book...

I'm not sure when, exactly, I first heard this album, but it played a huge part in my musical tastes.

This was released 11 months after I was born, and while Dad was/is a big John R. fan and played his records constantly back then, I'm pretty sure the music didn't get me then and there.

But... my Mom used to tell a story of her being 8 months pregnant with my brother in 1966, and having to chase after me as I escaped the yard and ran up Edgewater Dr., belting out "I hear the train a'coming..." all the way. So... Johnny's music was settling in in '66.

While Folsom Prison BLues isn't on the above pictured album, it's title track is one I never get tired of hearing, like almost every Johhny Cash song. 

What a great thread!

Well there are probably two releases that changed me.

The first was Kenny Rogers "Just Dropped In".

But the second really did it for me - Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Cosmos Factory". To this day it is still my favorite album.

The other highly influential albums would be - Ten Years After "Rock and Roll Music To The World",  "Johnny Winter And Live" and Pete Townshend "Who Came First".

Back in 2003, Evanescence released their debut album Fallen. At the time my sons were young and getting into rock music and my boy William requested the album for a birthday gift. Like good parents, we listened to everything the kids were into, and this album I enjoyed. The heavy beat. good guitars and a great female vocalist.

While chatting online with some friends that are about 15 years younger than I, I mentioned enjoying that album and asked if there were any other similar artists. Thusly I was introduced to the world of symphonic metal. They gave me a list of about six artists with the most popular, a group called Nightwish, originally from Finland.

The first album I listened to really grabbed me and pulled me into that world of gothic themed, symphonic metal. The album is Once, their 5th studio album and the last with their original lead singer,  Tarja Turunen, an outstanding soprano. Once is #89 on Rolling Stones Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums of all Time, list. 

This is Ghost Love Score, one of their signature songs and the measuring stick for their last two lead singers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, JollySipper said:

I think the album "Fashion Nugget" by Cake had the biggest impact on me when it was released. I was in my mid-teens and kinda still feeling out who I was..... I found the lyrics to be refreshing and unlike anything I had heard before. The music also pulled me in, it's kinda jazz in some places, most songs are just laid back and really easy to listen to. Here's one from that album, called Open Book...

I agree! One of my favorites as well. It's delightfully odd.

David G.

Cocteau Twins - Bluebell Knoll.  It's not my favorite Cocteau Twins album when I first discovered them back in the 80s this was they're new release. It's kind of stuck with me for years. To see them live is life changing.

Edited by Mike C.

I wasn't a particularly angsty teen but Soundgarden's Superunknown dropped at just the right time to hit me full force. I was 13 in 1994 and this was the best thing I'd ever heard in my life, and honestly it's still up there. 

• Like 1

The album titled "You'd Prefer An Astronaut" from the band Hum is another one that probably helped shape me as a person..... It's a concept album about him and his girl's 'stellar' relationship. This song is one of the better ones (though they are all great songs!). It's called "I hate it too".......

This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears.   This Mortal Coil was a collaboration of artists that were mostly on the 4AD record label back in the 80s and 90s. I remember buying their first release it seemed really dark and mysterious. This track is a cover from Roy Harper.

• 4 weeks later...

The Velvet Underground and Nico. I would be remiss if I didn't mention this album. Brian Eno once said that not many people bought this album but most of them that did went on to form their own bands. I fell right into that group.

It had to be the early 80s but when I bought it (cassette tape) I started to listen to it incessantly. This was truly a classic.