Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

Saw this complete, original 1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT Fastback kit on eBay, so have a look at the (partial, I didn't save every image) contents. Might be useful for comparison when the re-created '66 Mustang Fastback debuts later in 2022 from Round2.

AMT66MustangOI.jpg.1ab91ca850712a10f6d5e1aba3c36c84.jpg

AMT66MustangOI2.jpg.af0c37469550058a121540a5d3d4213b.jpg

AMT66MustangOI3.jpg.8a8483c71db626f9e091b41c20343a16.jpg

AMT66MustangOI4.jpg.0f90bd3b5e5035ff746c7182e79353a2.jpg

AMT66MustangOI5.jpg.6356731dc4faa61a86ab3506ab30aed2.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

Wasn't aware that Round2 was bringing this Mustang kit outta the archives!  I have an old built-up that is awaiting restoration but if this kit returns as originally produced I'll probably have to get one. It's interesting to see how the 3-spoke steering wheel is on the chrome parts tree; I can see a single wheel ring in the unplated parts that must go together making the finished steering wheel, unusual kit technology that isn't seen in very many kits.

2 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Wasn't aware that Round2 was bringing this Mustang kit outta the archives!

More like a re-creation of the original, at least for the content which has been lost to time. Probably a good idea to start a new topic for that specific release.

3 minutes ago, keyser said:

i think Snake bought all the builtups. 🤣

For a while there, I didn't let too many get away. At least not the ones that were even somewhat affordably priced. B)

I'm thinking of starting a thread up Under Glass showing all of them. Think there would be any interest in that? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

For a while there, I didn't let too many get away. At least not the ones that were even somewhat affordably priced. B)

I'm thinking of starting a thread up Under Glass showing all of them. Think there would be any interest in that? 

I've wanted one of these for quite a while but I knew I'd probably be bidding against you Snake. 😨

BUT, if anyone has an AMT '70 Mustang that needs some TLC they would part with, let me know.

, ,  even if it's missing the interior and chassis.

Edited by Can-Con

Man, I’m really love the way these old kits are being brought back from the dead. Thank you Round 2. I know Round 2 is tooling up new factory 5 spoke wheels for this kit. But, I’m kind of hoping they give us the original wheel covers too. Wheel covers or not, I am just so happy to see this one come back. 

And thanks Casey for showing us the original. I love it when people here show us the contents of these original unbuilt kits. 

27 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Man, I’m really love the way these old kits are being brought back from the dead. Thank you Round 2. I know Round 2 is tooling up new factory 5 spoke wheels for this kit. But, I’m kind of hoping they give us the original wheel covers too. Wheel covers or not, I am just so happy to see this one come back. 

I figure I can always get the '66 stock wheel covers from one of the '66 ht kits..I have a bunch of those...

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

And thanks Casey for showing us the original. I love it when people here show us the contents of these original unbuilt kits. 

Most likely the 66 Mustang Coupe's plated parts tree will stay the same including the wheel covers and the GT chrome parts will be on a new tree similar to what was done the 64 Olds Cutlass and 442 kits.

-Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Most likely the 66 Mustang Coupe's plated parts tree will stay the same including the wheel covers and the GT chrome parts will be on a new tree similar to what was done the 64 Olds Cutlass and 442 kits.

-Steve

Makes sense to me. And if they don't weld too many gates closed that will leave options open for a standard fastback as well.

• Casey changed the title to 1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue
On 2/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, Casey said:

Saw this complete, original 1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT Fastback kit on eBay, so have a look at the (partial, I didn't save every image) contents. Might be useful for comparison when the re-created '66 Mustang Fastback debuts later in 2022 from Round2.

AMT66MustangOI.jpg.1ab91ca850712a10f6d5e1aba3c36c84.jpg

AMT66MustangOI2.jpg.af0c37469550058a121540a5d3d4213b.jpg

AMT66MustangOI3.jpg.8a8483c71db626f9e091b41c20343a16.jpg

AMT66MustangOI4.jpg.0f90bd3b5e5035ff746c7182e79353a2.jpg

AMT66MustangOI5.jpg.6356731dc4faa61a86ab3506ab30aed2.jpg

I can see the taillights, some of the specific parts sprues and half the chrome tree survived into the hardtop kit. I wonder if the other parts have been blocked off all this time and will simply be opened up again.

Casey, Did you say they were recreating the body, interior shell and glass?

These are glorious days indeed!

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Casey, Did you say they were recreating the body, interior shell and glass?

@SteveG knows. I believe he stated Round2 is recreating the fastback-specific parts, carrying over anything common from the existing '66 Mustang coupe kit, and re-using the '65/'66 "glass", which still exists. So, basically very much like the recently modified re-issue of the AMT '64 Olds F-85 Hardtop.

Hopefully @SteveG can share here the four images he recently shared on the 'gram, too.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:57 PM, Snake45 said:

I think there would be interest in ALL of your Snake-Fu rescues. They'd probably take up too much space on one thread, but I'd like to see them in some consolidated order. Just please, don't try to fit 40 or 50 on one picture. Quality just gets lost when they're that small.

How about showing us a thread of your oldest original builds from when you started this hobby. You know, the group that included your '66 Buick Gran Sport. I know I'd enjoy seeing the first kits you built after you got your insurance payout some 50 odd years ago!

The stories are great too!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think there would be interest in ALL of your Snake-Fu rescues. They'd probably take up too much space on one thread, but I'd like to see them in some consolidated order. Just please, don't try to fit 40 or 50 on one picture. Quality just gets lost when they're that small.

How about showing us a thread of your oldest original builds from when you started this hobby. You know, the group that included your '66 Buick Gran Sport. I know I'd enjoy seeing the first kits you built after you got your insurance payout some 50 odd years ago!

The stories are great too!

Wow, sounds like I have a fan! :blink: I am truly humbled, sir. 

I'm working on the Mustang thread (I think I have about 8 of them to show). My records show I've rescued or restored about 11 of my teenage builds. Most of them I've shown here over the years. I'm hoping to do a few more of them in the near future. 

Of my "insurance payout" models, I think the '66 Skylark and the '66 GTO are the only ones complete and finished at the moment. The AMT '64 GTO was finished at one time but I stripped it a couple decades ago for repaint and never got back to it. Need to do that one soon, too. The '65 Impala, I ruined the roof about 20 years ago trying to straighten it out. All the original parts are still in the original box but I'll probably never do anything with them; I've picked up several '65 Impala glue bombs to build in its place (plus a Hasegawa and at least one Revell). The JoHan '66 Marlin's body is painted and it wouldn't take too much to get that one together if I can ever decide what "style" I want to build it in. The JoHan '66 Rambler is complete in its flat box and unstarted and will probably remain that way. Again, I have a glue bomb or two of that to work on, and have actually been thinking of trying to get one done this year. 

Thanks again for the kind words! Much appreciated! B)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Casey said:

@SteveG knows. I believe he stated Round2 is recreating the fastback-specific parts, carrying over anything common from the existing '66 Mustang coupe kit, and re-using the '65/'66 "glass", which still exists. So, basically very much like the recently modified re-issue of the AMT '64 Olds F-85 Hardtop.

Hopefully @SteveG can share here the four images he recently shared on the 'gram, too.

In a nutshell, Casey is correct and it's very similar to what was done with 64 Olds F-85.   The mockups that have been shown are combination of the initial batch of 3D printed parts combined with 66 Coupe kit for the rest other than the glass that now resides with the A/FX kit.  The 3D parts are still a work in progress.   The goal is a vintage style 66 Mustang GT Fastback kit complete with retro-packaging.  The Coupe kit is not being altered in any significant way and can be reissued at a later date.  The Fastback parts are being copied from a mint original annual kit with a few modest improvements.   This will not be a state-of-the-art all-new tool. 

-Steve

spacer.png    

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

That part was copied straight from the original kit but obviously it's not correct.  Hopefully it will be revised with the other pending changes. 

-Steve 

I hope so too. I have a partly-done original and the valance has always bugged me.

I'm looking forward to this, a kit I never bought when it originally came out.  Another version to make a Shelby GT350 or GT350R would be the next logical step.  Maybe another kit later on with a pony interior, or save that for the hardtop/convertible tooling if that still exists?  There sure are a lot of possibilities. It would be easy to have the GT and non-GT rear valances in the same kit, too.  The non-detailed chassis won't be a deal breaker for most potential buyers.