Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

28 minutes ago, keyser said:

And valance has trumpets in it.

Nope. The original promo and kit have blobs that suggest trumpets and they are too far to the outside. Trumpets need to be moved closer to the license plate and a 66 has standard backup lamps like the coupe kit has. Look at my 1:1 pic.

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Think Round 2 has a couple Shelby's up their sleeve later on?

They would have to have new Tri-Y headers and a more realistic Hipo 289 instead of the tired old small block engine that’s been in the 66 coupe kit since it first came out.  As we saw with the 71 Mach1 kits, pretending an engine is something it isn’t (a 351 Cleveland) may not matter to most but it’s those things that will be the difference between a muchimproved kit or one that is just emulating a mediocre promo based original kit which appears to the nostalgia but falls short compared to kits tooled even 30 years ago.

Edited by vamach1

2 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

They would have to have new Tri-Y headers and a more realistic Hipo 289 instead of the tired old small block engine that’s been in the 66 coupe kit since it first came out.  As we saw with the 71 Mach1 kits, pretending an engine is something it isn’t (a 351 Cleveland)

Small potatoes to them. They could dress up the 289, make a hood, add gauge cluster, special steel wheels and put it in a cool retro box and we'd climb all over ourselves to buy one.

I agree with you about the latter. A K-code 289 hipo is still a 289, but what it absolutely isn't is a 351 Cleveland!

40 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Small potatoes to them. They could dress up the 289, make a hood, add gauge cluster, special steel wheels and put it in a cool retro box and we'd climb all over ourselves to buy one.

I agree with you about the latter. A K-code 289 hipo is still a 289, but what it absolutely isn't is a 351 Cleveland!

Yes - nothing in common with a 289 and a 351C except being painted blue.  The point I was trying to make was there could have been an attempt to put a legitimate 351C engine in the old MPC tool 73 Mustang kit that was rebranded as AMT with a revised 71 sport grille and bumper thus making it look on the outside like a Mach1 except neither engine in the kit was ever correct and were merely carried over from earlier Mustang  kit molds.

9 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Yes - nothing in common with a 289 and a 351C except being painted blue.  The point I was trying to make was there could have been an attempt to put a legitimate 351C engine in the old MPC tool 73 Mustang kit that was rebranded as AMT with a revised 71 sport grille and bumper thus making it look on the outside like a Mach1 except neither engine in the kit was ever correct and were merely carried over from earlier Mustang  kit molds.

Perhaps Round2 couldn't have been arsed to create a new '335-Series' engine since I'm sure they're aware of the pending Revell BOSS 351 (and potentially a '385-Series' 429 iteration).

If nothing else, the FE engine in MPC's Mustangs is equipped with the Therm-Actor Air Injection System, plumbing and all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

that's good to know; I have the '65 2+2 promo

I have never seen one in the plastic. I have 65 and 66 hardtop promos that I have owned since the 80s. My 65 just says "Mustang" in the license plate area. I am not hugely educated on these and I wonder if it is one of the ones that could have been mail ordered for the princely sum of $1 around introduction time in 1964.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:32 PM, vamach1 said:

As we saw with the 71 Mach1 kits

Please, not again. Not here. Totally different kit(s) and topic.

3 minutes ago, fairlane1320 said:

What's with the bug-eye headlights?? 🤓

WTF.jpg.566327208dc4a143efd9ddb57820df91.jpg

On 2/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, SteveG said:

The 3D parts are still a work in progress.

Steve mentioned elsewhere the forthcoming modified reissue will have clear headlight lenses.

While it's appreciated Steve shared images of an early mock up, it is not a test shot of the soon-to-be-final product.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This newly tooled/ clone of the original kit will bring joy to everyone in the aftermarket !.Looking into my crystal ball, I can see more decals produced for this kit in the aftermarket ( Slixx and others).Also exciting is more resin/ 3-d printed parts engineered by the aftermarket ! I see this new tool as being in the lineup up for many, many years. As slow as Revell- Germany is in getting  their 1965/1966 Stock Mustangs and Shelby versions back to the market ( they are 1/24th scale), this should be a good seller for Round 2. I can see a 1966 GT version ,with and w/o pony interior .Also a 1966 GT350 , Hertz GT350H and a GT350R models are possible, with Shelby licensing down the road. They also could release  a T-5 model(decal option only  or photo etched)with gas cap  and side emblems put out as T-5 decals) for our European overseas model builder friends( especially Germany). Almost forgot 3 unforgettable Drag race cars,-Tasca Ford(Bill Lawton),Russ Davis Ford( Gas Rhonda), and the Harvey Ford (Dyno Don Nicholson)Mustangs. These cars can be done as with the stock drag racer bodies before the 2 percent alteration to the wheelwells( moved forward). Also tool up/clone the 68 Shelby Cammer ( SOHC?) for these releases! Please fell free to add to this  or correct where wrong. Thank you!

Edited by paul alflen
Grammer

On 3/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, paul alflen said:

This newly tooled/ clone of the original kit will bring joy to everyone in the aftermarket !.Looking into my crystal ball, I can see more decals produced for this kit in the aftermarket ( Slixx and others).Also exciting is more resin/ 3-d printed parts engineered by the aftermarket ! I see this new tool as being in the lineup up for many, many years. As slow as Revell- Germany is in getting  their 1965/1966 Stock Mustangs and Shelby versions back to the market ( they are 1/24th scale), this should be a good seller for Round 2. I can see a 1966 GT version ,with and w/o pony interior .Also a 1966 GT350 , Hertz GT350H and a GT350R models are possible, with Shelby licensing down the road. They also could release  a T-5 model(decal option only  or photo etched)with gas cap  and side emblems put out as T-5 decals) for our European overseas model builder friends( especially Germany). Almost forgot 3 unforgettable Drag race cars,-Tasca Ford(Bill Lawton),Russ Davis Ford( Gas Rhonda), and the Harvey Ford (Dyno Don Nicholson)Mustangs. These cars can be done as with the stock drag racer bodies before the 2 percent alteration to the wheelwells( moved forward). Also tool up/clone the 68 Shelby Cammer ( SOHC?) for these releases! Please fell free to add to this  or correct where wrong. Thank you!

Paul, great outlook but we will see. Unfortunately, Round2's model kit product manager is a Trekie and not up to automotive knowledge. Hopefully they can add an automotive product manager.

23 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Round2's model kit product manager is a Trekie and not up to automotive knowledge. Hopefully they can add an automotive product manager.

Ostensibly, the crew at Round2 (and certainly other automobile kit manufacturers) peruse this forum (and others) for 'gossip' and product ideas, along with their presence at the various model shows/contests and industry conventions. 

Live long and prosper.

• Like 1

Bobby G ,  and 1972 Cornet. Yes I  heard that about their Product Manager Jamie Hood and it doesn't bother me one bit! ( we can convert him to a model car guy! LOL)We all aren't Trekkies, and we all aren't car guys. one hand washes the other! Can't we all get along ? John G  at Round 2 is a model car guy!(He loves Show Rods). When all the boomers are gone to the big Model car garage in the Sky, then the products have to be appropriate to the age demographic to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. that means fifties and Muscle cars give way to 1970's & 1980's land yachts .( station wagons, Etc.) and injection molding could give way to digital files ,by subscription, to print off your next model! The future is bright ,and the possibilities are endless. anything can be made now! You can scan any 1/1 car( with the right scanner ,expensive now but will come down eventually in price) and print that eventually to your printer! The future truly is now! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyG said:

Paul, great outlook but we will see. Unfortunately, Round2's model kit product manager is a Trekie and not up to automotive knowledge. Hopefully they can add an automotive product manager.

They have plenty of input, from multiple knowledgeable sources, on the automotive side.

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, BobbyG said:

There is more automotive knowledge at Round2 than you think.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:56 PM, pack rat said:

There is more automotive knowledge at Round2 than you think.

I hope so. My frustration with Round2 is they seem to be overlooking a lot of possibilities with existing tools to use for multiple versions. That is why, in my opinion, Moebuis has the right formula; they make multiple versions of a given subject or spin off to sister brands. Their 65 Plymouths, Ford pickups and their newest Chevy IIs. You would think Round2 has the resources to do the same. 

This is just my opinion not an attack on anyone. I learned a long time ago that constructive criticism means you care.

• Like 1