Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Steve, will the kit include all the same optional customizing and racing parts that the original annual had - for a true nostalgic build experience?

One of my goals when I joined Round 2 was to show them how they could expand their existing tooling without breaking the bank. The 1966 Mustang Coupe was chosen for a number of reasons including that it already some good optional parts. While I agree the original Fastback kit has some very cool optional parts of its own, to do them would have turned the project into a full kit cloning to be practical. So, in this case the answer is no.  

However, in the upcoming MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet RT kit. We did clone most of the vintage optional parts to try to give you the full build experience of the original kit.  Something we intended to keep doing on future projects.

-Steve 

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

One of my goals when I joined Round 2 was to show them how they could expand their existing tooling without breaking the bank. The 1966 Mustang Coupe was chosen for a number of reasons including that it already some good optional parts. While I agree the original Fastback kit has some very cool optional parts of its own, to do them would have turned the project into a full kit cloning to be practical. So, in this case the answer is no.  

However, in the upcoming MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet RT kit. We did clone most of the vintage optional parts to try to give you the full build experience of the original kit.  Something we intended to keep doing on future projects.

-Steve 

Thanks, Steve, for the explanation and for sharing here.  Makes good sense (especially from a business perspective). 

Especially glad, too, to hear the approach you took with the '68 Coronet R/T clone project, and cloning projects yet to come as well...TIM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Steve, Is there any way the door handles could be made to stand out more, or is that a molding limitation?

I did request they make the door handles a little bigger, we'll have to wait and see if they were able to do it.   I'm waiting for the revised test shots.

-Steve   

• Like 1

I am grateful for Round 2's both volume and spread. I have been in and out of the hobby all my life (now and going forward it will be in). In the 1990s I was in for a while and the shop had very few kits that I wanted to build. My luck then was that it was possible to buy up some old kits from friends who focused on their 1:1 cars, but today thirty years later we would be without both complete kits and parts. I prefer to kit bash before resin and there I think Round 2 does a great job of releasing AMT's old 3 in 1 kits that are full of fun stuff and above all sensible stuff.
Now there is an alternative to kits that have been semi-ambitiously updated with billet parts and big rims and I am grateful for that. Can we get some kits with inline 6's, 4 doors and small hubcaps I wouldn't sleep but that customer group is probably too small.

If Round 2 also released the Dualli wheels from the 90s promos, life would be at its peak.

Edited by Ulf

What Ulf said:

I am grateful for Round 2's both volume and spread. I have been in and out of the hobby all my life (now and going forward it will be in). In the 1990s I was in for a while and the shop had very few kits that I wanted to build. My luck then was that it was possible to buy up some old kits from friends who focused on their 1:1 cars, but today thirty years later we would be without both complete kits and parts. I prefer to kit bash before resin and there I think Round 2 does a great job of releasing AMT's old 3 in 1 kits that are full of fun stuff and above all sensible stuff.

Now there is an alternative to kits that have been semi-ambitiously updated with billet parts and big rims and I am grateful for that. Can we get some kits with inline 6's, 4 doors and small hubcaps I wouldn't sleep but that customer group is probably too small.

If Round 2 also released the Dualli wheels from the 90s promos, life would be at its peak.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Sledsel said:

spacer.png

That hood has a lot to be desired!!! 

The hood was copied straight from the original 1966 annual kit with no requested changes, they're virtually identical if placed side by side and it can be used as restoration part if you have an old kit that missing one.   If it's that far off well than so was the original.

-Steve 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Rodent said:

Modelhaus used to offer them in chrome and plain. They are now available in plain (unplated) from their son who is still selling wheels and tires.

https://www.modelhaustires.com/collection/802

Thanks, I have to investigate if they send packages to Sweden. That's one reason why I prefer kit bash, AMTs 3 in 1 and 3D-printing.

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

The hood was copied straight from the original 1966 annual kit with no requested changes, they're virtually identical if placed side by side and it can be used as restoration part if you have an old kit that missing one.   If it's that far off well than so was the original.

-Steve 

Well, maybe it is just the pic, not sure but it looks off in my eye. Won't stop me from buying a few though.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Sledsel said:

spacer.png

That hood has a lot to be desired!!! 

Between the peak, slope and body lines, that piece is more of a Palmer

Hope they just include the hardtop/coupe hood because that one is total trash.

Looks OK to me. Nothing a little brush with a sanding stick can't fix.

I compare it with fixing parting lines. Every kit has them, so do you correct them or do you just expect all kits to be paint ready right out of the box?

21 hours ago, Rodent said:

The "FORD" letters appear to be 2+ scale inches high, but the overall shape of the hood doesn't look awful to me. I have an original, a couple of hardtops, and a couple of promos. I will have to dig them out and inspect.

They've always been like that. The coupe too. Maybe somebody will offer photoetched replacements.

On my old 1:1, they did stick up more than usual. About 2x thickness of dealer tag. Always snagged the towel during washes. Paint on and prep for paint probably get them close. Always thought it was odd they were much thicker than the Mustang and 289/GT emblems. They never snagged towels. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, fairlane1320 said:

Steve,

Just wondering is there is an ETA for the new '66 Mustang fastback kit?

Still shooting for by the end of the year, all the tooling is completed. Just waiting on tire samples, box art proof, things like that.   I'm hoping it goes into production next month.   It's out of my control after that. 

-Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, keyser said:

On my old 1:1, they did stick up more than usual. About 2x thickness of dealer tag. Always snagged the towel during washes. Paint on and prep for paint probably get them close. Always thought it was odd they were much thicker than the Mustang and 289/GT emblems. They never snagged towels. 

I think they are talking about the heights of the individual letters as in fonts, not the height off of the body for the individual letters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1