Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 ford roadster oem style top

After some research, the top appears to be a “bop top” replacement top.  So I will probably have to scratch build it.  All the model kits have the oem style and don’t come forward on the rear sides like the “bop top”.  Anybody here ever built one?

CCB464F1-AAC1-416A-817F-6247DD3C54C9.png

The top doesn't look too different from a stock one (to my eyes, anyway) other than the sides being more closed in.  The back looks like it leans forward a bit also.  So some degree of alteration will be needed with whatever you start with.

If you are working with a Revell '32 highboy (or Rat Roaster) body, you might try the ex-Monogram "on the small side of 1/24 scale" roadster kit's top.  This is the ex-Little Deuce, with the fenders and chassis molded as a unit.  It isn't very much bigger than other '32 Ford kits known to be 1/25 scale. 

I haven't got one of the more recent reissues of that kit, but I am led to believe that some of them do not include the raised top.  Based on that, I wouldn't buy any issue of that kit unless it is specifically shown on the box.

If you are working with an AMT roadster, the very first issue (only) had a raised top.  No other issues I am aware of had it.

Seeing as how you will have to modify it anyway, you might try a Model A roadster top.  One of those ought to be easier to find.

The rear panel on your Thunderbolt reference shot doesn't lean anywhere near as far forward as your Bop Top shots.

I'd suggest the same top as Mark mentions as a starting point. It's this kit:

Monogram 32 Ford Roadster Street Rod Model Kit 2718 for ...

Below is a built version copied from this very site. Not too terrible much work to get from here to where you want to be. Create a more wrapped-around side panel, lower the center bow a little, lean the rear panel back a tick at the bottom, and you're there.

Monogram '32 Ford - Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

Thank you, gentlemen.  Your prompt, knowledgeable replies are much appreciated.

Here's another thought. The stock up-top in the AMT '36 Ford is MUCH closer in profile to what you want, but it's wider.

It should be easier to take a slice out of the middle of one, to narrow it to the width of a '32. 

I have a few of these I'll never use, but they're 2000 miles away at the moment; surely somebody else here has one.

1936 Ford Coupe/Roadster (2 'n 1) (1/25) (si)

The top you're trying to replicate is a stock 32 top with extra material on the sides. As has been mentioned, a Monogram 32 Roadster will get you started, then add some plastic to the sides to create the new shape of the side opening. I'm pretty sure I have one of these tops in my stash if you want it. 

I think it would be best to modify the stock top. Looks like all it needs is material added to the sides. The top from the '36 isn't a good fit at all. The front of the top where it meets the windshield frame is the right width. Where it joins the body at the rear is the problem as it's several mms too wide. Just guessing, it looks like six or seven. 

The first two issues of the AMT '32 Ford Model 'B' Roadster came with uptops but were never re-issued again (shame).

The kits pictured are AMT No. 132 "The Deuce" (1959) and No. 332 Sport Roadster (1960-61). These parts come up now and again on eBay.

DSC04413.JPG

• Like 1