Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mercury Comet

MarkJ

I have all the contingency decals figured out except for one. Does anyone know what the decal right behind the Holman and Moody image is and the one right below and to the right of the grey rock decal on the gold car. It looks like a brown jar with a white label and a white lid. I can't find a clearer picture. It shows up on late 1966 cars and 1967 cars.

66comet79 (2).jpg

66comet80 (2).jpg

Thanks J.C. It's definitely M-P or M&P. But what the heck is that. I think with your image I can make a decal,  because even if I knew what it was the decal I make will be so small, the writing on the bottle would be illegible.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Mark some how I haven't looked at your build here.  As usual, you jump right into doing  mods to replicate race cars and do a great job.  I'll be watching now.😀

Thanks, Mike. Your input is always welcome.  

5 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

That one's a challenge. I have both P\S Loennzen and P\S 65-70 contingencies sheets and it is not on them.

Taking a guess here. Brown or amber jar with white label and white cap. Pream or Coffee-Mate?

Pierre, have you any idea what M&P is?   Maybe it is some kind of coffee creamer.

7 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

No I don't. You have the advantage of making your own decals so just copy what's on the great pic provided by JC.

I probably will, but I want to do a little research and see what the heck it is, just for curiosity sake.

Thanks Jo. I reached out to that forum knowing there was a lot of old guys like me that might know what it was. I don't know if he is an old guy, but Spooker posted a version of it and your version will also help me come up with some kind of decal. Thanks again.

Very interesting. Will be watching with great interest.

I know first hand how hard it is to find one of the actual AMT kits of the 66 Comet. Thanks to someone on this board, I was finally able to get my hands on one of the promo kits. Was looking for literally years, as I wanted to build a replica of the car we had when I was a kid. 

Pics for reference.

1979 September - 004 - Cyclone.jpg

1979 December - 003 - Cyclone accident.jpg

1979 September - 001 - Cyclone.jpg

1979 September - 002 - Cyclone.jpg

1979 September - 003 - Cyclone.jpg

1979 September - 005 - Cyclone.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Mark, I love the way you are doing the fender flares, much better than what I tried.

Thank you for sharing this!

Pierre, my way is not better. The cars are a lot different. Your way works for a 71 GTO, my way works for a 66 Comet. I don't think my rear flares are pushed out enough. but I'm not going to change them now.