Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mercury Comet

MarkJ

13 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Looks super nice and will be great with decals. Looking forward to the chassis work. Does the kit provide a nice starting point for the chassis?

Pierre, this car was not a half chassis car so I can basically build it OOB. I will add headers to the engine and make it dual 4-barrel carbs and make an air cleaner for it. I might add an oil cooler to the radiator foundation. Might be a tight squeeze to add dual shocks in the front. For the interior I just need to add a simple sixty's cage and modify the driver's seat a little with a side bolster. and of course add some harnesses for seat and shoulder belts. Thats why i like sixty's cars. Not a whole lot different then stock. I wont even have to make a window net.

Mark, not sure if you have this picture of the 66 Mercury or not. Pretty much shows the approach Bud took to use the spring tower, stock type setup in the car. Looks like some cut outs for the shocks, not sure if he kept the one shock inside the spring and added one shock outside, ot two outside and none inside the spring. Pretty homeade looking air cleaner with the dual quad setup on this one.

lcr4NvD.jpg

Edited by Bill J

Thanks, Bill. I have a picture a lot like that one but yours is at a better angle. Thanks for posting it. Still cant get a good view of the headers so I just guessed at it. You really cant see them once the engine is installed in the car. I'm going to have to scratch an air cleaner but the kit came with 2 4 barrel carbs and a single carb manifold that I modified to except two carbs. The carbs look accurate too. I was surprised.

Mark, I think the last year for the  metal expansion tank in the street car was 1964. I used to own a 67 Cougar GT and a 69 Torino Cobra with a CJ 428 and neiither came with a metal  expansion tank, at least not a metal one like pictured under the hood of the Bud Moore Comet. Which would sxplain why one was not in the 67 Comet kit. I think about 1965 Ford switched to a plastic tank attached with a piece of tubing to the radiator. From what I have seen, NASCAR teams used the metal tanks connected directly to the radiator and engine until the Boss 429 came along,

48 minutes ago, Bill J said:

Mark, I think the last year for the  metal expansion tank in the street car was 1964. I used to own a 67 Cougar GT and a 69 Torino Cobra with a CJ 428 and neiither came with a metal  expansion tank, at least not a metal one like pictured under the hood of the Bud Moore Comet. Which would sxplain why one was not in the 67 Comet kit. I think about 1965 Ford switched to a plastic tank attached with a piece of tubing to the radiator. From what I have seen, NASCAR teams used the metal tanks connected directly to the radiator and engine until the Boss 429 came along,

Thanks , Bill for the clarification on that.

Thanks Pierre. Had some home projects I had to catch up on. The worst of which was replacing the torsion spring on one of my garage doors. It was kind of dangerous winding up the new spring to make it work. you have to quarter wind it 31 times to get it to make the door weightless. Not fun at all. 

Edited by MarkJ

34 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Wow, that's a tight fit. The mechanics must have loved working on this one.Thanks, Pier as I go along. 

Are you going straight OOB on the front end / motor comps or adding some eye candy like extra shocks, oil cooler etc.

You know where my vote is going right?

😃

Thanks, Pierre. I would like to add an oil cooler and shocks but my ref pictures for this car are very limited. I don't even know what the back part of the interior and roll cage look like, so I guess I'm just going to have to make it up as I go along. I can tell that the rear package shelf is not there on this car but how it looks below that area is a mystery.

1 hour ago, gks1964 said:

Did they run an oil cooler in 66?

Yes, it's an aluminum box on the left side of the radiator foundation with it looks like two oil filters hooked to it. but I only have a top front view of it. 

41 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Yes, it's an aluminum box on the left side of the radiator foundation with it looks like two oil filters hooked to it. but I only have a top front view of it. 

Thank you Mark! I want to do a 67 Wood Brothers car. Pix are very hard to come by.

I could not find a Tamiya polishing kit I could phone order, so I ordered a Novus polishing kit from micro mark. I will see if it can improve what I have done so far with the 4000 to 12000 polishing cloths I have. It comes with the soft polishing cloths as well as the polishing liquids, in 3 stages, in bottles. I would like to remove the very fine scratches I still have even after the 12000 cloth is used. 

If anyone has any photos of the area behind the driver's seat on both sides, I would really appreciate if you could post them. The 66 and 67 Fairlane should be the same. I need to know how the struts for the main cage look back there. The only pictures I have are these small ones of a Fairlane. 

66comet89.jpg

66comet90.jpg