Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels-ish Delorean

Joe Handley

Got the Easy-Off and dirt off the car and got a different tub as well as a small bottle of HyVee brand concentrated bleach, it’s now sitting outside on the same garbage can soaking……..should be interesting to see if it works.

13AC26C3-F987-4BEE-B207-F634FADB5C49.thumb.jpeg.ccf9fad7f0ef0da7879eb0d052e82992.jpeg

Edited by Joe Handley

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Glad you found it Joe, I hope the bleach works for you..

Thanks Carl, I am happy I found it too, though I'm not holding my breath on the bleach.  Right now I left it outside to soak all night (during a snow storm no less) and will check on it during my lunch break today, see if anything at all has happened.  I'm thinking I may need to just sand all that chrome off.....not looking forward to that, TBH.

Ok, it looked like nothing was happening so I dumped the bleach it was in and rinsed it off last night, then discovered that some portions of the chrome were starting to flake and peel! Stuck it in some more bleach to see if that will finish it off, just going to let it sit for a while and see what happens. I did notice that I managed to crack the buttress on the quarter panel in one spot from the driver side B-Pillar on down and will have to fix that once the chrome is gone.5D6E2688-D539-4BFC-A27A-94BECD21DE7C.thumb.jpeg.2c8ec83466751758b35a0649d57ff8ac.jpeg

Well, this one may be a lost cause for this project, got most of the exterior chrome off, but it’s still holding on inside the body and the buttresses are breaking off behind the B-Pillars. Maybe I can save this body by making it a phantom roadster instead?!

109D2F94-FC91-47F5-ACBD-CA4C774C55D9.jpeg

9735C8A0-DC3E-4327-B4E6-E86CC6251071.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Blam! So that just happened! 😅 that seems to be a hard one to get off! I use oven cleaner foam from mr muscle and it strips chrome in seconds, might have worked. Love the project btw!! 

Yup, Every so often it does!😅

Checked with a couple other guys from my club, they suggested Black Magic/Westley’s Bleche-Wite, so I need to try and score some of that this week to try out now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...