Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pearson GTO

Pierre Rivard

12 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Man, this cage is awesome, Pierre. Much better than trying to squeeze a cage for something else in this body. About as custom built as you can get.

Thanks Mark. I am repeating the idea I first tried on the Galaxie to build it upside down and it seems to work better that way.

• Like 1

So the decision was made to retrofit this rear chassis to a long arm setup. I did not want to sacrifice a donor chassis just for these few parts so I figured I could just scratch build it.

I keep doing this to myself...I look at the part and I say it's easy to copy...but it's not.

Here's where I'm at after 2 days. I'll get there eventually.

I needed to work on something that would give me hope there is a brighter future out there and I silver painted over the orange body. 

GTO wip30.jpg

GTO wip31.jpg

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

The silver looks good. Should prevent any bleed through, but if you're going with purple, you might have not had to worry about it.  The chassis looks like it came in the kit. Excellent job scratching it. 

Thanks Mark. I see the finish line as far as the chassis goes. Rear suspension is all cheated up but should look ok in the end.

Silver coat is a must. Body will be purple but the roof will be white.

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks Mark. I see the finish line as far as the chassis goes. Rear suspension is all cheated up but should look ok in the end.

Silver coat is a must. Body will be purple but the roof will be white.

I forgot about the white roof. You definitely don't want a very  light orange roof with the rest of the car purple. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:17 AM, yellowsportwagon said:

It really probably had 4 rear shocks that’s my mistake! The biggest thing is the cylinder heads. These used a Ram Air V cylinder head which doesn’t have Siamesed center exhaust ports like all other Pontiac heads. I reshaped the ports on an AMT 90s Nascar Ford head to mimic the Pontiac heads.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the information on this cool Pontiac. So if I understand correctly ,the powerplant was a Pontiac RAM Air 5 without the typical Siamese center exhaust ports! I have this model on my to build list and recently picked up the decals from Mikes decals. Thanks again! Keep the info and pics coming!!!

Chassis rear axle & suspension finally done. I basically started with the AMT Monte Carlo axle but all the rest is scratch built. 

First pic is the parts as I built them and as I plan to pre-paint them prior to final assembly. The other pics are the mock up of the assembly.

Lots of work but it would have bothered me to leave it as a short arm knowing it was not.

GTO wip32.jpg

GTO wip33.jpg

GTO wip34.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

Progress has been slow since last post 10 days ago. Been busy elsewhere, including buying a new car. 😃

Completed most interior part fab and mocked up before moving on to paint and assembly.

Interior built up from upper side of GTO kit chassis. I used old MPC Nascar chassis driveshaft/trans hump as well as firewall.

I decided to use the stock IP. My best guess based on these screen shots from the Motor state 400.

If anyone has information to the contrary...too late!

GTO reference interior 1.jpg

GTO reference Interior 2.jpg

I'll be showing what I decided to do for the engine in the coming days (another mixed bag of parts of course)

For now only sharing an idea for rad hoses and would love to hear feedback and other ideas.

Trying this for the first time using a small rubber hose from the spares. It's about 1.5 mm OD. 1 mm all wire to simulate tubes out of engine and rad and 0.23 mm wire to simulate retention clip.

GTO wip38.jpg

GTO wip39.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

WOW  There is way more to building one of these replicas that I was aware of.  Although I'm  not a huge fan of these cars this is one model I will follow. Great modeling is great modeling. 

Thank you Ian. These types of projects involve taking a very basic road car kit from the seventies and transforming it. it requires a lot of research and a bit of head scratching but it's fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Looking awesome Pierre. Hope you're enjoying you new car. Care to divulge what you purchased. Maybe share some pictures so we can all be jealous. 

The choice will surprise you. The new one is to the left. Small, fast, nimble and electric. It's a new world.

MINI SE.jpg