Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pearson GTO

Pierre Rivard

The long road to making a chassis with very little from the kit and with a lot of scratch building and many some parts from the styrene scrap yard (spares) has come to a happy end.

It was a lot more work than I anticipated but I'm pretty happy with the result.

GTO wip51.jpg

GTO wip52.jpg

14 hours ago, MarkJ said:

You should be, Pierre. It looks fantastic, and you know it will fit the body like a glove

Absolutely. I always spend a lot of time on the chassis to body interaction in the initial part of the build so that I don't have to deal with fit/stance issues in the latter stages.

Wow again, Pierre. You matched the purple to the roof number perfectly. The decals are put on perfectly. Need to get her finished. This is going to be a one of a kind build that is going to be stunning. I did not know you had done a 60 Rex White Chevy. I would really like to see more shots of that one. He was my favorite all time Nascar driver. That is his championship car.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:11 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

This model is coming together nicely.

One thing is for sure, you NASCAR model builders will never be short of kits!

You're absolutely right Noel. Plenty of road car kits out there that can be transformed into Nascar racers so the possibilities are endless.

13 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Wow again, Pierre. You matched the purple to the roof number perfectly. The decals are put on perfectly. Need to get her finished. This is going to be a one of a kind build that is going to be stunning. I did not know you had done a 60 Rex White Chevy. I would really like to see more shots of that one. He was my favorite all time Nascar driver. That is his championship car.

Thanks Mark. I'm pretty happy with the result. Two tone paint was a challenge but I survived it. Getting close to the finish line.

Sent you PM about Rex.

Going sidetrack a bit. I mix my colors using Vallejo acrylics. Purples are hard because on top of doing a metallic effect and balancing darkness there is also the delicate balancing of red vs. blue tones. Using the same base colors I developed two very different tones of purple as shown here.

GTO wip56.jpg

Moving on to finishing the interior.

I made a jig to do a net using #12 sewing thread and tape. Thanks MarkJ for the tip on how to do this.

Dash built with addition of scratch built gauges using metal wires for bezels and Krystal Klear for the glass

Assembly of all parts completed

GTO wip59.jpg

GTO wip60.jpg

GTO wip61.jpg