Model Cars Magazine Forum

ThunderCat: 58 TBird with 92 Cougar roof: a contemporary Custom

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

I've noted that among all modifications, a modern roof transplant projects a "classic" in the current era. So...

Take a Monogram 58 TBird convertible, and mold on a Revell 92 Cougar greenhouse. Get rid of the wipers. Mold the doors shut (quite a chore!), mold the bumpers and trunk gaps, adjust the stance, bring in a Foose FD100 rolling stock & disc brakes, add the Cougar dash & seats. Then, scratchbuild front grille, bars, headlights, mirrors, firewall, injection system, door panels, shifter, hand brake lever, speakers enclosure & rear tub, carpet, etc.  Lay on Tamya's AS-29 + pearl + Mr.Hobby super clear & top coat. Polish everything. Wires & hoses, plus touches of Molotow's chrome, and Voilà! 

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT

PS: Thanks to fellow modeler Plowboy for sharing the color code he used on a sweet street-rod featured elsewhere on this forum. 

DSC01398 (2).JPG

DSC01397 (2).JPG

DSC01395 (2).JPG

DSC01393 (2).JPG

DSC01392 (2).JPG

DSC01389 (2).JPG

DSC01388 (2).JPG

DSC01390 (2).JPG

DSC01386 (2).JPG

DSC01382 (2).JPG

DSC01379 (2).JPG

DSC01376 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Another great build my friend and for this one I can also say that everything stays in the family, everything holds together well!  The beauty with styrene is the sheer fantasy it offers without breaking the bank, a 58 TBird being a rather expensive and rare "bird" as a donor for a project of this sort in real life.

Hours of fun with styrene as you say so well and pleasure for the eyes I might add! 👍

That's a beauty! Molding and smoothing the chromework, and the monochromatic paint scheme really cleans up the lines of the squarebird. I love these cars in all their versions from bone stock to wild custom. This is a nicely modernized custom. The engine is particularly nice! Very well done all around.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Another great build my friend and for this one I can also say that everything stays in the family, everything holds together well!  The beauty with styrene is the sheer fantasy it offers without breaking the bank, a 58 TBird being a rather expensive and rare "bird" as a donor for a project of this sort in real life.

Hours of fun with styrene as you say so well and pleasure for the eyes I might add! 👍

Hi Francis!

Thanks for the comments. Truth be told... I'm a Blue Oval guy. Might have to do with the fact my first four cars were Ford(s)? Who knows?

CT

Claude I love the roll in in the middle of the trunk.  At least that is what we called it when we built one on my friend’s skateboard half pipe in the 80s.  Another hit from the Thibodeau table of mad creations!- Mark

Okay, that interior requires some extra looksie. Very sophisticated. My barristers are debating the cat roof, but anything different is good, right? Still, everything lives up to the usual Thibodeau jaw drop. You need to start charging admission.