Model Cars Magazine Forum

TinkerCad? Do you use it or other free 3D?

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Scott have you tried grilles yet?? maybe a 1960 Canadian Meteor...

No, not yet. I think anything is possible with TinkerCad, however it is not the best product for complex shapes. The issue is that to create a part you need to create it out of simple shapes, boxes, cones, tubes, etc. You would need to break down the grill into these components. To do complex shapes requires you to build it out of simple shapes, then apply other shapes in the form of Negative shapes to take off what you don't want to get down to the shape you do. 

So, as I said, not impossible, but it would be a challenge. I would also have to have the car body in-hand to get measurements off of and would likely print several before getting one that fits right. 

I assume this is what you are looking for?

image.png.0016cb6f640e918e254d834f64f2ac61.png

Edited by Oldmopars

On 3/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, Oldmopars said:

No, not yet. I think anything is possible with TinkerCad, however it is not the best product for complex shapes. The issue is that to create a part you need to create it out of simple shapes, boxes, cones, tubes, etc. You would need to break down the grill into these components. To do complex shapes requires you to build it out of simple shapes, then apply other shapes in the form of Negative shapes to take off what you don't want to get down to the shape you do. 

So, as I said, not impossible, but it would be a challenge. I would also have to have the car body in-hand to get measurements off of and would likely print several before getting one that fits right. 

I assume this is what you are looking for?

image.png.0016cb6f640e918e254d834f64f2ac61.png

that's the one, would look great in the AMT full detail kit...

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would update my progress. When I posted this I was struggling to use TinkerCad. Fusion was not even possible for me. Now, a little over a month later and I don't bother with TinkerCad, I only use Fusion. Here is what I have learned to draw in the last month. 

I encourage anyone that want to learn it, to go for it. It is possible. 

detroit v14.png

8 foot bed v6.png

16.5 truck rim v3.jpg

Works style 20in v4.jpg

2 hole wheels 20in v1.png

Spoked Wheels v3.png

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Oldmopars said:

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would update my progress. When I posted this I was struggling to use TinkerCad. Fusion was not even possible for me. Now, a little over a month later and I don't bother with TinkerCad, I only use Fusion. Here is what I have learned to draw in the last month. 

I encourage anyone that want to learn it, to go for it. It is possible. 

Good stuff! You're beyond me. I don't use TC anymore either, I bought Alibre Atom. I can't remember why I didn't want Fusion tho, but not sorry other than it has a larger user base and more vids on YT that help when you get stuck.