Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC Streaker Vette

Casey

I have several other reissues of this kit, but if this one includes THOSE wheels and tires, I'm in for at least one more! 

SPOILER ALERT: This kit is purely for retro/nostalgia/fun building. If you want a nice '67 Vette coupe model, buy the Revell, which is superior in absolutely every way. 

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have several other reissues of this kit, but if this one includes THOSE wheels and tires, I'm in for at least one more! 

SPOILER ALERT: This kit is purely for retro/nostalgia/fun building. If you want a nice '67 Vette coupe model, buy the Revell, which is superior in absolutely every way. 

Yeah, I have the original MPC annual '67 and the mid '80s reissue (white car w/ big hood scoop on box), along w/ the Revell '67s and the AMT annuals...I want this one for the engine and wheels combo..I like the box art.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Same wheels as found in the semi-recently reissued MPC '32 Ford Sedan Delivery. Hopefully no sinks marks in the spokes on these. 🤞

I believe that the wheels and the grille are being re-tooled to match the original version of this kit. 

-Steve

I've wanted this kit for a while now and I'm glad they're bringing it back in this version. 

I've had the Street Stalker version and it's got enough changes to make it less desirable to me.

Hopefully they return the hood to the optional cutout for the blower. And I'm glad they're redoing the wheels, those Champ 500s were lousy - no front/rear offset like shown on the boxtop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Along the same lines, I had the original 1967 annual MPC kit. The Revell is better and even the original AMT is better but not as good as the Revell. Box art is about what you get withe reissue.

The engine in the annual kit was a 327.  Not sure about the stock intake setup, but the '65 fuel injection setup was still included.  A pair of undersized "427" cylinder heads and valve covers were also included, as an option.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

The side panel on the original box claims working front suspension. I dont see how it would work

I always thought this kit looked really cool though. Nice to see the posable wheels

Little metal springs.  The 1/20th MPC Corvettes were the same way. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Little metal springs.  The 1/20th MPC Corvettes were the same way. 

As Rob said above, there were originally metal coil springs included, but at some point MPC made some revisions, and styrene "fixed" springs replaced them. Here they are on the MPC '65 Corvette Sting Ray instruction sheet:

MPC1965CorvetteStringRay2-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey

The side panel of the original box lists working front suspension, but the kit did not have it, only the steering.

The chassis is modified from the MPC '64 chassis (exhaust detail removed).  MPC tooled a new chassis for the '65 kit to add the working suspension.  '65 and '66 annuals used molded styrene coil springs.  Jo-Han did the same with their Chrysler Turbine Car around that time also.  '67 annual used the metal springs, as did the '68-'75 annual kits.

In the mid-Seventies MPC started to replace the springs with solid ones, losing the working suspension in the process.

The '67 MPC chassis with the metal springs was last used in the Cosma Ray custom, in the late Sixties.  It was probably easier to remove the exhaust from the '64 chassis than change the '67 chassis to eliminate the metal springs.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Mark said:

The side panel of the original box lists working front suspension, but the kit did not have it, only the steering.

The chassis is modified from the MPC '64 chassis (exhaust detail removed).  MPC tooled a new chassis for the '65 kit to add the working suspension.  '65 and '66 annuals used molded styrene coil springs.  Jo-Han did the same with their Chrysler Turbine Car around that time also.  '67 annual used the metal springs, as did the '68-'75 annual kits.

In the mid-Seventies MPC started to replace the springs with solid ones, losing the working suspension in the process.

The '67 MPC chassis with the metal springs was last used in the Cosma Ray custom, in the late Sixties.  It was probably easier to remove the exhaust from the '64 chassis than change the '67 chassis to eliminate the metal springs.

I think it's the same chassis, with the working suspension front clip stubbed in. You can see the joint line just ahead of the center crossmenber on all of the versions after 1965. Another couple of changes include the return of the 1964 interior tub (the annuals had the correct door trim) and corrected front fender louvers. The 67 annual had them straight up and down. 

Edited by Dave Darby

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I vaguely remember building a kit when I was a kid that had real springs in it. I'm sure it succumbed to fireworks not to long after.

Here is a built that I still have.

Models 005cb.jpg

Models 003cb.jpg

Pretty neat survivor. Judging by the wheels and tires, that is the Gen 1 Night Stalker issue that immediately followed the Streaker Vette. Out of the MPC mid-year Corvettes, only the 65-67 annuals, had the working springs. The Streaker Vette returned to the 1964 style front suspension.

Streaker Vette I slightly modified back in 1977 when I was 16. Wheel flares are made from plastic record album dividers from when the local drug store quit selling records. That rear spoiler is the chin spoiler from the Revell "Jungle Jim" Vega funny car.

IMG 4984rt 1

IMG 4986rt

IMG 0484rt 1

• Like 3