Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st Gen. International Scout

Hey Guys, or Gals,

Got a question about the 1st series, International Scout, (1961-68?)  I am not a big truck/SUV/jeep fan.  I am an automotive history geek.  Mainly American and European, (and a little Asian).  As far as model cars go, I like the Concept/Prototype cars and mostly 1st generation manufacture's automobiles.  

So,...A little input from the Jeep/off road fans would be appreciated.  I see where a few people think the Ford Bronco was the 'granddad' of the SUV.(?!)  Of course, the more informed know the International Scout came about in the very early '60 ahead of the Bronco.   

That being said, has anybody noticed there aren't any kits/transkits of the 'Original', First Generation Scout?  Big model manufacture or small resin producers?  I thought this particular vehicle would hold a prominent place in Jeep/Off Road model builder's heart?  I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Oh yeah,....speaking of 'first's'.  I would have thought the Jeep 'Station Wagon', (1946), would really be the first SUV. 

What do you say folks?        

2 hours ago, Joe Lange said:

That being said, has anybody noticed there aren't any kits/transkits of the 'Original', First Generation Scout?  Big model manufacture or small resin producers?  I thought this particular vehicle would hold a prominent place in Jeep/Off Road model builder's heart? 

How many people even know IH made them? I bet very few. Not terribly popular, but a few have tried:

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, keyser said:

48 Jeepster a sporty uv. Station wagon Jeep and early Suburban too. 
Woodies part of it, suv but not off-road by common definition. Then again, off road for most is gravel driveway or dirt road. 

None of the early Jeepsters were 4wd. Only the second generation (‘66-‘73) Jeepsters and Commandos were 4wd. Depending on the definition of SUV, the Willys MB and CJs were likely first.

Edited by NOBLNG

3 hours ago, Joe Lange said:

Hey Guys, or Gals,

Got a question about the 1st series, International Scout, (1961-68?)  I am not a big truck/SUV/jeep fan.  I am an automotive history geek.  Mainly American and European, (and a little Asian).  As far as model cars go, I like the Concept/Prototype cars and mostly 1st generation manufacture's automobiles.  

So,...A little input from the Jeep/off road fans would be appreciated.  I see where a few people think the Ford Bronco was the 'granddad' of the SUV.(?!)  Of course, the more informed know the International Scout came about in the very early '60 ahead of the Bronco.   

That being said, has anybody noticed there aren't any kits/transkits of the 'Original', First Generation Scout?  Big model manufacture or small resin producers?  I thought this particular vehicle would hold a prominent place in Jeep/Off Road model builder's heart?  I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Oh yeah,....speaking of 'first's'.  I would have thought the Jeep 'Station Wagon', (1946), would really be the first SUV. 

What do you say folks?        

I would definitely love to have a first gen Scout kit like this!😎B9437652-BADA-429F-900D-D4432B087A45.jpeg.e61ef484c557201781fdf92ab1a65bf0.jpeg

From Jim Allen’s “Illustrated Buyers Guide Classic 4x4s.

6D058ACB-F314-4E1C-89BD-37C05ECBE2AE.thumb.jpeg.f782be5ef35e9b0ce933e4842fe919fa.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Keyser, I agree about the convoluted terminology.  The first three years, '46-48, the Jeep 'Station Wagon' was 4-wheel drive.  1949 it was an option.  I realize, like the term 'SUV', manufactures love to play games with car class terminology.  The gullible buying public will buy anything, as long the name attached to it, is attractive.  I retired from a little German Auto manufacture here in Alabama that built the majority of their 4-wheel drive vehicles for the world market and it's amazing the number of options, (garbage), that people think they need it their SUV/Off Road(?) vehicles.  By the way, when Volkswagen first introduced their passenger 'van' to the U.S. market in the 1950's, they called it the VW 'Station Wagon'.  Then Ford, Chevy, and Dodge introduced their vans in the early '60s to compete with it.  Then the 'Marketing Genius' Lee Iacocca called his 'new invention', (in 1984!), a Mini Van.  yeah right.    

Greg, You're right!  The first gen Scout was a really good looking, clean, simple vehicle.

Brian, there is someone on Ebay that makes a 1/24 3D print Scout 800 body, BUT the young man is in the Ukraine!  Not exactly someplace I would like to order anything from right now.     

42 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

My 86 K5 Blazer was designated "station wagon" on the title. 

My Bronco and my Jeeps have all been designated as such..I don't think (some) DMVs/BMVs recognize 'SUV' as a body style.  

Edited by Rob Hall

1935 was the first Chevy Suburban.  A 'station wagon type' body based on a commercial, (truck), frame.  Remember, by 1935 the automobile based station wagon was already being produced by several manufactures.  And....what exactly is a 'utility vehicle'?  A work truck?  If that's the case, aren't pickup trucks 'utility' vehicles? 

If you are a pickup fan you might want to look at a 1908 International Harvester Auto Wagon, (derived from the 1907 IH Auto Buggy).  Possibly the 'First' American pickup truck?  

Like I said previously, car manufactures love reclassifying their vehicles so the simple minded public will buy it.  Like four door coupes!       

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I would definitely love to have a first gen Scout kit like this!😎B9437652-BADA-429F-900D-D4432B087A45.jpeg.e61ef484c557201781fdf92ab1a65bf0.jpeg

From Jim Allen’s “Illustrated Buyers Guide Classic 4x4s.

6D058ACB-F314-4E1C-89BD-37C05ECBE2AE.thumb.jpeg.f782be5ef35e9b0ce933e4842fe919fa.jpeg

There is a resin body of that body style Scout available from Robert Burns. IMG_3612.thumb.jpg.2d9d5a26511d184eed6dc1dcf087f555.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe Lange said:

Then the 'Marketing Genius' Lee Iacocca called his 'new invention', (in 1984!), a Mini Van.  yeah right.    

A little research into Dick Nesbitt and designs while at Ford, especially the Carousel, might prove helpful here. 

Iacocca's minivans were shrunken down van of the era, complete with sliding side doors, so there is indeed logic to the claim.   Oddly enough, I don't recall VW buses being considered minivans back then.

Automobile woodie wagons don't count as SUV's.  They're just station wagons.  Pickup trucks are not SUV's.  They're just trucks.

There were indeed coachbuilt wagons on truck chassis offered in the '40s and '50s, and those could be had with four wheel drive.  Would these be considered SUV's?  I wonder what the intended market was for these.  I doubt many were driven by suburban moms.  🙂       http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/hercules_campbell/hercules_campbell.htm

Speaking of terminology, remember the term that used to be popular in the '50s and '60s, the Caryall?

42 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

Automobile woodie wagons don't count as SUV's.  They're just station wagons.  Pickup trucks are not SUV's.  They're just trucks.

There were indeed coachbuilt wagons on truck chassis offered in the '40s and '50s, and those could be had with four wheel drive.  Would these be considered SUV's?  I wonder what the intended market was for these.  I doubt many were driven by suburban moms.  🙂

I wouldn’t consider them SUVs because there really wasn’t any “sportiness” to them.

I agree.  'Woodie wagon' was just a term used by the public referring to wood bodied station wagons.  Rob Hall mentioned the term 'utility truck', which could be any type of work truck.   

The Sport Utility Vehicle term only came to be in the 1970's and is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for doing away with car based station wagons and selling bigger 4 wheel drive land yachts.  Which they accomplished very well by the end of the 1980s. 

Correct, VW buses were not referred to as Minivans.  They were just vans.  Incidentally, all 'Big 3' vans started out in the 1960's with 90in wheelbases.    Gee...smaller than a 'Minivan'!

Interesting specs on the VW vs the Chrysler Minivan,

1984 VW Vanagon:  Wheelbase-97in.  Height-76in.  Length-179in.   VW vans had sliding side doors since 1968, 1967 in Europe.  

1984 Chrysler Minivan:  Wheelbase-112in.  Height-65in.  Length-176in

1949-1967 Original VW van/bus/(whatever term):  Wheelbase-94.5in.  Height-76in.  Length-168in.