Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Buttera Street Rod Series

Fabrux

Can’t believe it’s 20y since blue touring came out. Great chassis, slides under 23 T Van, just fiddle cowl and stock 23 hood. Fits under Model A’s well too. Tim Boyd has used it in some builds. Moving fuel tanks inboard iirc gets clearance for one or other, forget which. Hali’s look great on them. Ahead of its time. Stripping chrome off suspension helps assembly a ton. 
Nice article. Remember when it was on cover of R&C. 

Last century I built the Delivery T.  It was the first time I tried Testors putty, to smooth in the rear window blank, which was not done well.  It sits on my junkyard shelf.  I never liked the wire wheels with generic tires.

If you look closely at the box art of the first '34 Ford Coupe kit (in red) in Chris' feature article, you'll note that it is actually a comped-up Monogram '34 Ford Coupe, rather than a buildup of the Buttera kit (which is featured on the Blue '33 Ford box art).  I noted this in my old Street Rodder Modeler's Corner column not long after the kit came out.  Not sure I made any friends there at the time, but this was a case of misrepresentation of the box contents.  It was no doubt a function of needing to photograph the box art before the actual kit tooling was completed.  

Really nice job with your Buttera series kit compilation, Chris, it's the most complete I ever recall seeing.  TIM 

• Haha 2

On 3/13/2022 at 9:30 PM, tim boyd said:

If you look closely at the box art of the first '34 Ford Coupe kit (in red) in Chris' feature article, you'll note that it is actually a comped-up Monogram '34 Ford Coupe, rather than a buildup of the Buttera kit (which is featured on the Blue '33 Ford box art).  I noted this in my old Street Rodder Modeler's Corner column not long after the kit came out.  Not sure I made any friends there at the time, but this was a case of misrepresentation of the box contents.  It was no doubt a function of needing to photograph the box art before the actual kit tooling was completed.  

Really nice job with your Buttera series kit compilation, Chris, it's the most complete I ever recall seeing.  TIM 

Revell pulled aimilar box art shenanigans with this kit. The body they used on the box art model is mostly likely an MPC one. It looks nothing like the distorted mess that's actually in the box. Very deceptive. 

196674-10592-36-pristine (1).jpg

jungle.jpg.2f2822164daeebe2e4c34a032b270ca6.jpg

Edited by RickyD

19 hours ago, RickyD said:

Revell pulled aimilar box art shenanigans with this kit. The body they used on the box art model is mostly likely an MPC one. It looks nothing like the distorted mess that's actually in the box. Very deceptive. 

196674-10592-36-pristine (1).jpg

jungle.jpg.2f2822164daeebe2e4c34a032b270ca6.jpg

No, it's the same body. Just a different shot angle that makes the difference. 

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

No, it's the same body. Just a different shot angle that makes the difference. 

Are you sure about that? Compare the side window openings in the two; that's what makes me think they're different. I will say, that was some mighty skilled photography if they managed to disguise the flaws in that turd!

10 hours ago, RickyD said:

Are you sure about that? Compare the side window openings in the two; that's what makes me think they're different. I will say, that was some mighty skilled photography if they managed to disguise the flaws in that turd!

Don't  you have the kit to compare it? 

11 hours ago, RickyD said:

Are you sure about that? Compare the side window openings in the two; that's what makes me think they're different. I

Also compare the A-pillars.   The Revell kit (blue) has very curved A-pillars (from a side/profile view), while the faux box art version (ree) has a vary straight A-pillar, closer to the real 1/1 car...FWIW...TB 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

So without any knowledge of having one on hand, and just going by a picture, you assume it is an MPC kit body? Come on! 

Omg Oh No GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I may not have the kit in my stash, but what I do have is functioning eyes. I've seen that Revell body numerous times and I am quite familiar with what it looks like _ a distorted mess. And you did notice Tim Boyd backed me up, right? And Tim was 100 percent correct;  the A-pillar angles make it rather obvious that the two bodies are not the same. 

Wasn't really looking for an argument here; just thought I'd post what I considered an interesting nugget. I won't make that mistake again!

Edited by RickyD

18 minutes ago, RickyD said:

I may not have the kit in my stash, but what I do have is functioning eyes. I've seen that Revell body numerous times and I am quite familiar with what it looks like _ a distorted mess. And you did notice Tim Boyd backed me up, right? And Tim was 100 percent correct;  the A-pillar angles make it rather obvious that the two bodies are not the same. 

Wasn't really looking for an argument here; just thought I'd post what I considered an interesting nugget. I won't make that mistake again!

It's not an argument, or at least I didn't think it was. I am just pointing out that it was the same kit. But, if Tim Boyd agrees with you, then it must be true. Case settled! 

Off topic, as people always point out. Nothing to do with Buttera T, save box art misrepresentation. The rest of the drama is ego, topic police hypocrites.

TB writes and sells books, unlike other “experts” who’ll be remembered thru lunchtime. 🤷🏻

Edited by keyser
Op Funny car was on topic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, keyser said:

Off topic, as people always point out. Nothing to do with Buttera T, a lot with ego. TB writes and sells books, unlike other “experts” who’ll be remembered thru lunchtime. 🤷🏻

It was on topic to the extent that Revell used deceptive box art on the initial release of the Buttera-based '34 Ford coupe and did so again with the Camaro F/C from the same era. But, yeah, like I said, I won't make that mistake again.