Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do YOU decide what to build next?

Let's hear how you all decide what to build next. Some kind of list? Newest kit out? Whatever peaks your interest?

After building the three Flintstone Flyer cars, and looking at how much stuff I acquired,I decided to narrow down my stash and make a catagorical list to choose from. I want to concentrate my builds, instead of commission builds.

My list goes like this...

Resin 

Restoration

Custom

New or box stock 

Lemans or GT type car 

Molding/casting 

Restart old build

I will always have two or three going, but I needed some organization to it.

Let's here how you do it!

Everything is in the queue in no particular order. I pick a few that I like and start them…some get stalled and others will jump the queue. Quite often it’s a glue bomb that gets to the front of the line. I can’t really predict what will inspire me until it happens.😎

Edited by NOBLNG

No big plan here. 

I always have a few builds on the go at one time. When I actually manage to finish a kit or two and clear some room in my work area, I'll have a look at the stash and think about what I want to build next. 

I try not to have too many on the go at once.

Now that you have raised the question Karl . . . . I realise that my process of choosing the next build is as follows. I browse Ebay and start off by selecting my criteria for the search as ' 1:24 Rolls-Royce Kit ', then I search for ' 1:24 Spares or Repair ', then ' 1:24 Vintage Model Car Kit ', and if nothing comes up that interests me, I search ' 1:32 Rolls-Royce ', then 1:43 Rolls-Royce ' and various other Ebay searches realting to Dioramas, Figures and Buildings.

I don't have much of a stash, nor do I list future builds, which is why I find myself browsing / searching on Ebay. As soon as something pops up that catches my attention, I study the description carefully and think about the price, and then go for it. Much detailed research follows the purchase, so that I know everything there is to know about that particular motor car.

When you search on Ebay all sorts of stuff comes up, much of it not related to my search criteria, but the odd kit can be very interesting anyway.

David

I always have a handful of builds on my desk but as for new builds I work in a restoration shop and get to work on a lot of cool car and trucks. I tend to get attached to a lot of the vehicles I work on so most of the time I will star a new model kit inspired by what I’m currently working on or even try and build exact replicas of some of the vehicles. 

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe .... Really my main objective is to finish all kits I've started and the kits my son has given me. Second picture second and third shelf down are the kits I've started over the years.

There's about thirty-five started total, plus about another ten from my son.

2v2athkKWxAVNRq.jpg

2v2athkHqxAVNRq.jpg

I'm currently working on an MPC 1980 Plymouth Volare "Street Rod" (snicker) with it's high performance V-6 (Siamese exhaust confused someone). If and when it's finished, I have a Jo-Han 197? AMC Javelin AMX that I started thirtysomething years ago. I'm waiting on decals from Rays Kits. Then its on to AMT's 1970 1/2 Camaro Z/28 molded in a lovely shade of orange. I figure at the rate I'm building, I should finish all of these before I turn 150.

I usually like to do batch builds. I started with Challengers in red, yellow, orange and blue. I did two Freightliner COEs. One was red and white, the other was black and gold. The next batch was 70-72 Chevelles in red, black blue and brown. Not to long ago I finished some 67-69 Mustangs in silver, orange and gold. The blue 67 Shelby has stalled due to two paint job failures. Right now I am making slow progress on some other stalled projects. A red, white and blue Kenworth Canepa, a 1974 (yes 74) Hurst/Olds and a 1970 El Camino Pro Street.

I should be more structured......but I'm not.  LOL  Stuff just happens, multiple models get started and eventually a finished product emerges once in awhile.  Actually currently I'm working on a build that I chose just to work on building skills, not because I'm especially interested in the particular subject.  This is allowing me to stick to building it out of the box stock and focus on technique.  It's a way of learning from doing, and making mistakes, without making a mess of the kits that I am more interested in.

• Like 1

I get on these "kicks" where I have an extreme interest in either a genre or a make of automobile. It might be customs, or sports cars, or anything Thunderbird, etc.... Right now I'm on a Bimmer kick, so the next model I'm gonna order to build will be the Fujimi 635CSi.

Usually, it will depend on my mood at the time. I will look at a couple of different subjects and try and invasion what how I would build them. I only work on one at a time anymore since I would get bogged down trying to build a couple of different kits at a time and would then loose interest in one or both when they start dragging on too long.  

Because I rarely ever buid a box stock kit, I wait for inspiration to hit me. A car I have seen, a vehicl inspired by a movie, TV show, a crazy idea I had, etc. 

Once I have an inspiration, then I start a build. I have found that if I just open a kit and have no real plan for it, I get stalled really quickly and the buid goes nowhere. However, if I have a vision for the final product, the build holds my interest and I am excited to work on it. ADD plays a big part. 

• Like 1

If its'a rebuild/restoration/reassembly of one of my old builds then it comes when I realise I've found and identified enough parts to make it viable. Otherwise it's usually a sighting of something seen at 1:1, giving me an idea about a kit I already have in the stash. Or sometimes just realising a certain combination of subject vehicle, colour and wheels will go together well. Maybe it'll be inspired by a half-remembered car I recall from an old magazine.

At the moment however I'd say it's whatever is easiest - I'm struggling a bit with motivation and haven't started anything new for quite a while, certainly since moving house last year. A simple slumpbuster arrived recently, I might go for that to get me back into the swing of it.

Greetings,

Usually I'm working across projects, like-themed for being old SCCA Trans-Am road racers, while when I shift direction or apply effort to one project or another, different factors come into play.  A discovery of a new photograph or new photo set consistent with informing how something should be configured or look can be exciting and will stir interest, while working up a new technique to similarly reproduce something accurately may serve as a prod to further apply myself.  At other times and for seeking out research online, a new contact will be made who possesses insight and enthusiasm in excess of mine in the moment, and in a manner of speaking, I'll wish to reciprocate the same consistent with maintaining the mood.  By the judgment of most I'm 'slow', but appreciate that my scale model efforts relate to exploration of the history of the racing series and period I favor, hence as long as I'm learning, establishing and developing contacts, and on occasion refining out what I'm working on as a project, in essence I'm getting what I want from the hobby.  Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70 

• Like 1

Whatever calls to me at the time, usually from a list of future projects I have. It will also depend on whether I have the color, and the time of year as I can't spray lacquers in the house. I just got the AMT '69 Hurst/Olds kit and am dying to start it, but I'm painting it Tamiya TS-26 Pure White, so it will have to wait until April or May when I can spray it in my shed. I usually concentrate on builds that will be painted with spray cans during the warm months, and I will spray bodies at the end of summer to build in the colder months. Conversely, in the winter I concentrate on builds that will utilize Water-based Acrylics that I can spray through my airbrush in my hobby room.

• Like 1

I’m the weird one. I won’t let myself do more than one project at a time. I don’t have room for more than one build on my work bench and I would never finish anything if I had multiple builds going at once. I build mostly old semi trucks, so I browse reference pictures for inspiration. I also like to build trucks from my past. I started a list of potential future projects. If something inspires me, I add it to the list. When I am ready to start a build it is either a recent inspiration or a potential build from the list. Choosing is the hard part.😀