Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ford Mustang GT4 question

So I bought the Tamiya GT4 kit, and both scale motor sports photoetch set, and pewter carbon fiber decal template set.  My question is - is there even a real version of the car fully done in carbon fiber?  Can’t find pics of one on the web at all.  Like I know there are certain parts of the car that is fiber, but never seen a full bodied carbon fiber GT4.  Also if i were to carbon fiber the whole body would I be able to use Tamiyas decals on top of it? Decal on top of decal?

The Mustang GT4 is not a fully carbon fibre bodied car.

It has a steel unibody, but the doors, trunk lid, roof, hood, rear wing, front splitter, and under tray are carbon fibre.

I would assume the front fenders are too, but I could be wrong.

27 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

The Mustang GT4 is not a fully carbon fibre bodied car.

It has a steel unibody, but the doors, trunk lid, roof, good, rear wing, front splitter, and under tray are carbon fibre.

I would assume the front fenders are too, but I could be wrong.

Yeah that’s what I was asking was just the whole body carbon fiber.  Cause every pic I see especially of Tamiya is gray.  But the template decal set covers the entire body shell of the car. Every part you just named lol.

While I have not seen a Mustang done this way, a few years ago there was a Mercedes race car with a carbon fiber pattern vinyl wrap.

spacer.png

sls_7363.jpg

So if you use those decals on a Mustang, you would essentially be representing the same thing.

The real grey Mustang is just that, a grey Mustang:

ford-mustang-gt4-3.jpg

Edited by vintagerpm

8 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

While I have not seen a Mustang done this way, a few years ago there was a Mercedes race car with a carbon fiber pattern vinyl wrap.

spacer.png

sls_7363.jpg

So if you use those decals on a Mustang, you would essentially be representing the same thing.

The real grey Mustang is just that, a grey Mustang:

ford-mustang-gt4-3.jpg

Yeah I've seen that picture of the GT4 and i have the proper color for it from gravity colors.  So I'm guessing the carbon fiber is just a custom option.  Still trying to decide if the hassle of full carbon decals is worth it over the beautiful grey.