Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curtis Turner Smokey Yunick Chevelle

Hobbyguy

On 3/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Nice job on the car. My one question would the Monogram kit being 1/24th and the Lindberg kit being 1/25th show the difference of the downsizing the real car had or are the kits the same size?

s-l1600.jpg.468c4d26a2fafe89f914eccea06772d6.jpg6596ef74da8abc8a7f8eded9dbeb991b.jpg.55958b2fc995029610a3de2fb92b02e3.jpg

greg

Not sure I used the Lindberg kit because it was more stock. As far as the real car being downsized I believe that was a myth.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:46 PM, Hobbyguy said:

Not sure I used the Lindberg kit because it was more stock. As far as the real car being downsized I believe that was a myth.

The restored (or replica) is in the Museum of Speed at Daytona International Speedway.  Per the write-up with the car, the car was narrower than the stock body, and the windshield was laid back which made the roof significantly lower and smaller than the stock body

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

At age 70, after a 20/30 year layoff, I still have a small stash of kits to work from. 

A variation of this car is one of my planned projects.  Aside from the daunting prospects of the two-color paint job, I have a couple of other problems.  I gave away my parts box years ago, how do I find some generic headers that would fit a big block Chevy?  And how does one fabricate that dual cowl induction "air cleaner"? 

I'm rebuilding my YOM '61 Bonneville into a Catalina (sorta') and wonder what gold paint you used?  It looks great!

I interviewed Smokey for SPECIAL INTEREST AUTOS Magazine in 1979; he was always good for a vivid quote.  I was doing a research article on the old Chevy W-motor, which he refused to run, preferring to stay with his '57 small block.  He also hated the new Chevy body, because 1. it was too heavy, 2. the engine was too far forward, v. the front spindle, and 3. the 348-in. mill and it's lack of high-rpm potential.  Chevy was proud of the compact size (not that much different than the 283-in., and even slightly less tall -- but that was the perceived problem: the W's had a 'low-rise' intake manifold, and it didn't flow well at the top.  That was the first issue that the aftermarket/later-model intakes addressed, of course.  Always a good torque engine. W tied the Corviar flat six for the shortest produced Chevy engine, pre Vega.

When I asked him what kind of engine the W-348 was, he barked "JUNK!"  Waiting for the Mk.IV 'Mystery' or 'Porcupine' I guess!  Wick