Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 Lincoln Mark V

Oldcarfan27

After looking at a lot of photos of the 1:1 and a lot of planning, I figured I could try to see if I could create one of these from scratch. I have lots of sheet plastic that I acquired from my work, so I had nothing to lose if it didn't work out. 

Here is the side view I used for reference. Scaled it to 1:25 and printed it out on my computer. 

Screenshot_20220117-171627.png.3e33e0b95e7f6f3ec58061fcbc3d9894.png

20220221_190241.jpg.668a985f2f423926e7fdd93ae3121ec0.jpg

Sorry, I didn't take any "in progress" photos. I wasn't sure if this was even going to work. I just kept cutting, fitting and gluing. I didn't want to stop to photograph.

I picked this Lincoln because it had flat panels, was basically square, was an attractive design that has never and may never be done as a kit. Plus, I could layer all the folds using different thicknesses of plastic.

The black areas are (I think) .080 PVC plastic as it has a semi-hard outside, with a softer more porous internal and is very strong. When super glued together, it will not break at the fused joint!

I began with the sides and copied the exact profile from my printed picture. Starting with the largest flat panel, and then copied the next smaller panel and beveled the edges to match the beltline folds. I then slightly curved the A and C pillars in.

78DJ-04.JPG.19bcb523a5bc671d2699bee9859dd42e.JPG

20220221_190253.jpg.1ecb2740f29dcbee9fda82671b61f14d.jpg

Next was the lower rocker areas - more PVC strips beveled to make the "roll under" like on the real car.

78DJ-08.JPG.3f338334035b7388bba8c611ede56184.JPG

20220222_210137.jpg.62267cafa6808c89dbe6f49a6cb1d23b.jpg

Wheelwell flares were made by taking another piece of PVC cutting it into a half circle the size of the largest part of the flare and beveling it to the circumference of the smaller part. Made 4 and super glued them to the proper wheelbase. BTW - these wheels are what got me to thinking about doing a Lincoln in the first place. I have a set but don't remember where they came from. They will be used on the finished piece. 

78DJ-06.JPG.6f052a9ba4d11ca901bae99eff6d1c62.JPG

Hood and trunk were sheets of .060 plastic, bent and curved to match the 1:1. I added the hood peak and the hood and trunk lines before gluing them to the sides of the body panels. Black stripe in the middle of the hood is where I had to add width to the front to match the trunk - otherwise, it was going to look like a wedge.

736x-29.jpg.3330842d41c5389a79759ca048f776f1.jpg

20220221_190255.jpg.c30934481ec4e68f378a97d34b284dae.jpg

Roof was done the same way with PVC bent and curved as well as the shape of the windshield and backlight openings.

Spare tire was done with another half circle  and small wedges shaped to mimic the crescent dome on the top of the trunk. Filed, filled and sanded to blend.

DSC04714.JPG.016c21fd49158dc850246e909fe45e59.JPG

20220221_190155.jpg.e1e3840a0b1d69721e0e7bfd4680fe0e.jpg

Front end was made with PVC split and bent to create the headlight shape and a small strip inserted in the middle to hold the angle. Filed to shape. Pardon the grille angle, it's only taped in place for the pic.

8510-1978-lincoln-continental-mark-v-thumb.jpg.2298226617e580183a8730cab1e868ef.jpg

20220221_190039.jpg.35a8f42ac266bb9c72785e8ee4f50c69.jpg

Transition to the grille was made with small strips and wedges shaped to fit. Grille area was made from two '34 Ford p/u grilles. Bumpers were made from horizontal layers of plastic cut to shape, rounded and beveled. Glued together and blended with putty. 

78DJ-11.JPG.032dedf4e4e71b2a0f9a20c1ecebabb2.JPG

20220221_190353.thumb.jpg.403fd93956c368904cf7f04d83556f93.jpg

Taillights were originally built up on the body sides, but ended up being too low, so they were carefully cut off and the areas trimmed to fit the lights higher up. They were left as removable. 

All trim was added with strips of sheet plastic that will be foiled later.

These are the underside pics to show how the pieces were attached. 

20220222_210151.jpg.1cdf9b8a8df4ab5ed991fee7df938f63.jpg

20220222_210207.thumb.jpg.1f8a0e9280dbdc05df8d0c3ddd3de21b.jpg

20220222_210308.jpg.79e350a4f84954a4203003ec3be36926.jpg

Next up windows, turn signals and paint. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27
Deleted extra pictures.
  • Like 7

Wow!  This reminds me of Paul H. mastering his '77 T-bird.  Amazing what some people (like you) can do with just photos and some plastic sheets and shapes.   I barely put together plastic model kits and you make your own!

That is one classy looking car -- they don't make cars like that anymore. Quintessential American car from the '70s.  These type of cars were what I first saw when I arrived in this country (from Poland).  Being around puny Eastern Bloc cars (with an occasional BMW or Mercedes), cars like this Lincoln screamed "American opulence" (as a good thing).  Bug country, big cars! These cars were big and sleek, and they floated on the road.  Maybe the handling was not the best, but they sure were comfortable and luxurious.  They floated above the pavement, and you could spin the steering wheel with one finger.  Those days are long gone.

I'm still holding onto a little piece of those days with my 1985 Caddy Eldorado. It still has soft and comfy leather seats, and pretty smooth ride, but not quite the same as that Lincoln.  Speaking of the Caddy, I hope that someday someone like you will make a 1:24/25 scale model of '79-'85 Eldorado.

Definitely loads of talent! That looks amazing! Are you planning to have this cast? Not my cup of tea, but seeing what it is and how well it's done, who could say no? It would look great in that light Metallic Blue sitting on my shelf.

Later-

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Definitely loads of talent! That looks amazing! Are you planning to have this cast? Not my cup of tea, but seeing what it is and how well it's done, who could say no? It would look great in that light Metallic Blue sitting on my shelf.

Later-

Sorry, no casting. I don't have any way of doing that.

Besides, I've already got it painted. Light metallic blue. Came out sweet!

2 hours ago, paul alflen said:

I'd say use the Amt 1969 Ford Galaxie chassis underneath if the wheel-base fits? These were still full frame cars underneath.

Currently not planning on a full detail, just a curbside. Maybe just a flat sheet to hold the wheels. But I'll try the Galaxie chassis to see if it fits. 

I was planning to use the Starsky and Hutch Torino chassis, as that is the wheel base I sized it to, but it turned out to be too wide for this car.

I cut the hood loose in case I ever decide to do the full detail route.

2 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Oldcarfan27, Looks good for a scratch-built! Are you sure Paul Hettick isn't helping you on this one? Let's see more!

Paul has been my inspiration to try this. After seeing what he did to the Thunderbird, anything's possible!

Very impressive!  Your scratch building skills are to be envied.  The Mark V is one of my all time favorites and I will be following along to see the end result.  Thank you for sharing the build.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Sorry, no casting. I don't have any way of doing that.

Besides, I've already got it painted. Light metallic blue. Came out sweet!

Currently not planning on a full detail, just a curbside. Maybe just a flat sheet to hold the wheels. But I'll try the Galaxie chassis to see if it fits. 

I was planning to use the Starsky and Hutch Torino chassis, as that is the wheel base I sized it to, but it turned out to be too wide for this car.

I cut the hood loose in case I ever decide to do the full detail route.

Paul has been my inspiration to try this. After seeing what he did to the Thunderbird, anything's possible!

I would suggest the AMT '71 Thunderbird chassis. The real cars were basically the same underneath.

11 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

I would suggest the AMT '71 Thunderbird chassis. The real cars were basically the same underneath.

Thanks for the idea. I don't have one of those kits to rob from but there seems to be a few choices that I can use to make do when the time comes. Plus, I'd have to come up with a solution for the 460 engine for this beast. Closest I can think of is the engine from the Firestone Super Stones F350 and I'm not sure yet if it's even correct. 

18 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Any more progress on this one Patrick?

Thank You for asking. 

I've had a little setback with the body. I had painted and polished it in light metallic blue, but I noticed the hood and grille shapes were too flat and boxy and my OCD wouldn't let me move on from it, so I HAD to add a plastic sheet with a bend in it to represent the hood peak and also had to cut and bend the grille shell to give it more "point".

Now I'm going back and forth with the putty, sanding and paint to refinish the area that was already finished!

Utter madness, but it is moving forward.

• Like 2

Yes the chassis from the 1/1  T-bird is just like the real cars(1/1)  wheelbase of 120 inches(Lincoln) But if you were scratch building it  basing it on the 76 Torino ( a real 1976 Torino is 114inch wheel base)(assuming that the Revell measurement is correct on the 1/25th)you still would have to cut six scale inches out of the chassis? Just thinking out loud! Time to test fit!

On 3/21/2022 at 11:48 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Thanks for the idea. I don't have one of those kits to rob from but there seems to be a few choices that I can use to make do when the time comes. Plus, I'd have to come up with a solution for the 460 engine for this beast. Closest I can think of is the engine from the Firestone Super Stones F350 and I'm not sure yet if it's even correct. 

Thank You for asking. 

I've had a little setback with the body. I had painted and polished it in light metallic blue, but I noticed the hood and grille shapes were too flat and boxy and my OCD wouldn't let me move on from it, so I HAD to add a plastic sheet with a bend in it to represent the hood peak and also had to cut and bend the grille shell to give it more "point".

Now I'm going back and forth with the putty, sanding and paint to refinish the area that was already finished!

That  T-Bird kit would  also solve your engine dilemma, That kit is common, having been re-released a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 10:48 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Thank You for asking. 

I hear ya. I started a 1980 Malibu kit a couple of years ago but the more I looked at the resin cast body the more terrible it looked. Just an awful casting. I'd really like to snag a Perry's resin 1979 or 80 model Malibu kit as his is the ultimate best but don't even know if he's still doing anything. 

Looking forward to seeing your corrections and continued progress.