Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oil Crisis

GLMFAA1

31 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Don't worry. The bosses are working on fixing that.  

The current US Dept of Energy says gasoline is a plague of the planet.  She stared in a video called 'Gasoline has to go'. Why would any of this make you think they are working on it???

7 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

There might be a few of us who remember $1.39/49 kits and .10cent Testor's paints. My first car model was a AMT 1959 Mercury convertible. 

greg

I can remember 2.50 models but can’t remember what spray paint and bottle paints was in mid 70’s..

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

$10!!! You must be a young whipper snapper!!!!  When the Monogram NASCAR kits first came out in 1983 retail was $5.00........I worked at a hobby shop and my cost was $3.33 each. 

I really miss $3.33 models!!!!!!  But think......1983 was not 100 years ago....yet models are almost TEN times the cost now. I know and the market shrink and all that....but many of the $1.49 we bought in 1965 are the same kits we buy today at $32...........

I am 56 and I am going by Walmart prices. 83 is when I stop building for a while and started back around 89/90.  Those pro shop kits was 10 bucks when Walmart stoped and checker board kits. If I am correct …

My wife made me go out last night and fill up both of our cars. Hers was still a little over half full and was $46. Mine was at about 1/3 full and it to $83.50.

When I drive by the station this afternoon it was $0.10 higher at $4.59 a gallon. Good thing she is a stay at home (grand)babysitter and I drive a company rig.

My car only get about 10-12 mpg.

As far as models go, I already have too many and have plenty of budget saved up for more when I find what I like.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The bosses are working on fixing that.

How about 10 gal. limits, odd license plates only, fuel limited to regular customers, closed every other day, and a sea of apologetic letter signs.

9A88EA22-75DB-4122-9905-388FB9AEE7E0.jpeg.91b15ea0ead4aceb915a788a64a0cd45.jpeg

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

• Like 2

Just a note.

I worked for a Fuel tanker company for 2 years.

The average Gas station has about 24-48 hours of gasoline in the underground tanks, at normal sales volume. Most Stations get a new shipment every 24-36 hours. Normally gas prices are raised at the pump, every time a new load is delivered. These are not normal times however, and some stations may try to raise prices more often. Try not to ever let the tank get below half. If things in your area go truly pear-shaped, at least you'll have a half a tank. Modern ethanol gas additives make storing gas in gas cans problematic. It is not shelf stable for as long. So don't fill a couple cans and expect it to last for more than a few weeks, if that.

I put over 200 miles a week on my van, just for work. And my boss has announced that there will be no raises this year......

7 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

How about 10 gal. limits, odd license plates only, fuel limited to regular customers, closed every other day, and a sea of apologetic letter signs.

9A88EA22-75DB-4122-9905-388FB9AEE7E0.jpeg.91b15ea0ead4aceb915a788a64a0cd45.jpeg

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Was this about 1977?   The Cadillac looks to be a 77.  I remember the gas shortage but not as good as I should..

I had a meeting with my boss and co-worker that is a newly promoted supervisor today, sounds like we will be staying with work from home for our department.....I don't think any of us are complaining about this, I know I'm not and I've probably got the shortest drive to work out of all of us!

8 minutes ago, mchook said:

Cheapest I could find here today was $4.39 a gallon, $100 gave me 3/4 tank in my Ram.😞

Don't you love the experts???? "Just buy a Tesla rather than those stupid F350s'..........

Next time the 'experts' need a tow, ambulance ride or heavy delivery....call your Telsa owning friend.  Many of use own trucks because WE NEED A TRUCK!!! I owned a SMART(50 MPG)  until I NEEDED A TRUCK........it's not as simple as the experts claim. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey I feel for those who have to commute every day. Me I'm retired so I'll restrict how much I drive. Other than that I can't see dwelling on this.  I can't see wasting my energy on something that I'm not going to change. I'd rather put my energy into the things I enjoy doing. Modeling for one.

• Like 4

I was delivering some trucks for work today. $100 CDN got me 53L of diesel. Diesel is currently about $1.90L CDN.

We are definitely getting a lot of calls this week about our EVs and hybrids. We had two Mach-Es arrive on Monday, and both sold yesterday. I've taken two orders this week for Lightnings and one order for an e-Transit. Lots of questions about Escape hybrids and F150 hybrids.

Can't change the fuel prices, so people are looking for more efficient options.