Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oil Crisis

GLMFAA1

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Don't you love the experts???? "Just buy a Tesla rather than those stupid F350s'..........

Next time the 'experts' need a tow, ambulance ride or heavy delivery....call your Telsa owning friend.  Many of use own trucks because WE NEED A TRUCK!!! I owned a SMART(50 MPG)  until I NEEDED A TRUCK........it's not as simple as the experts claim. 

One doesn't need a truck if one lives in a fairly large city. You aren't going to haul hay or large amounts of lumber. People were brainwashed by auto makers into believing that they need large SUVs and trucks in congested urban areas rather than cars. Auto makers push trucks and SUVs because of the higher profit margin on each compared to cars. People in large cities, like New York, don't buy trucks and SUVs out of necessity, they buy them because it's hip and cool. It's the LOOKATME!!!! factor.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

One doesn't need a truck if one lives in a fairly large city. You aren't going to haul hay or large amounts of lumber. People were brainwashed by auto makers into believing that they need large SUVs and trucks in congested urban areas rather than cars. Auto makers push trucks and SUVs because of the higher profit margin on each compared to cars. People in large cities, like New York, don't buy trucks and SUVs out of necessity, they buy them because it's hip and cool. It's the LOOKATME!!!! factor.

I've never had a need for a truck living in suburbia and decent-sized cities over the last 20+ years (Phoenix, Denver) ...the times I've needed one for moving furniture, etc I've rented a pickup or a van from Home Depot or UHaul.   A 2 row midsize SUV (Jeep) has been sufficient for a daily driver.  If it didn't fit in the Jeep, I'd have it delivered.

Though a beater 4x4 truck would come in handy now as I foresee spending the next year of weekends hauling tools, etc stuff in and out of my inherited family property trying to clean up the place.. 

On 3/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, Snake45 said:

I suspect that most of us here have a lifetime supply of kits in our stashes already...although, of course, that's not NEARLY enough....:unsure::lol:

I don't have a lifetime supply of kits (well, maybe I do because of my age) but I've just ordered several kits that I've had my eye on before the prices take a major pop. I've already noticed a price hike on quite a few kits from what I paid only a few months ago.

Don't even get me started on gas prices. Not as bad as in CA, but here in NYC regular just hit $4.40 at my local BP station with premium at $5.00. Plenty of people driving solo in large gas-guzzlers for no reason other than wanting to look cool. Latest thing here is loud mufflers (history always does repeat itself) and pulling away from red lights like they're at the drag strip. Many of these are the same folks moaning about gas prices.

Richard, glasspacks, straight-throughs and straight pipe mufflers have been illegal in NYC for quite some time. They've been popular in the city since the mid-late '80s when guys started tuning their rice burners. It's really bad on Roosevelt Avenue through Jackson Heights and Corona in Queens because its entire length is covered by the IRT elevated tracks. It causes the angry lawnmower sound to reverberate off the buildings on either side of the street.

Edited by SfanGoch

12 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Don't you love the experts???? "Just buy a Tesla rather than those stupid F350s'..........

Next time the 'experts' need a tow, ambulance ride or heavy delivery....call your Telsa owning friend.  Many of use own trucks because WE NEED A TRUCK!!! I owned a SMART(50 MPG)  until I NEEDED A TRUCK........it's not as simple as the experts claim. 

Exactly, I live in the woods upstate. The road I live on is dirt so when it snows it's one of the last to get plowed if they even remember to do it. I do a lot of towing & hauling stuff too, I NEED a truck. Not to mention I'm 6 foot 8 and I don't fit in these little cars too well. We have a little Ford Focus that I can use if I have to but I hate getting in & out of it.

• Like 2

I'll gladly trade the car which I own, is in my name, whose registration is relatively inexpensive, and whose insurance is dirt cheap, for an impractical E.V. -- and monthly payments, isn't in my name, expensive insurance, and outrageous registration.

All for an, essentially, short term issue. 

Yes, $6.00/gallon plus is painful. But, I'd rather pay for fuel than make loan payments. 

• Like 1

I'm a single guy that drives a seven seat SUV. It's not a "gas guzzler", it's 6 cylinder and delivers reasonable gas mileage. I like the room, comfort and sitting up just a little higher than the rest of the traffic. I like the AWD for Canadian winters and while it doesn't have the load capacity of a pick up truck when the second and third rows are folded down it has carried anything I've had to. Oh, and I've never been cool. Not even on my best day.

• Like 1

OK, Time to get this back to auto modeling. My original comment was regarding what was called 'milk carton models.' Back in the 70's oil crisis there was more recycled beads added to the injection machines due to lack and cost of real styrene beads. For those that don't remember or seen the plastic was off color, sometimes opaque and pearlized. Here is a comparison for you to see.

P1060393.JPG.01c65953254db4164170d19ec6216568.JPGP1060394.JPG.61dbb06ef11e5149033e06988c6e56fe.JPG

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added missed quote mark

22 hours ago, slusher said:

I was picking my son up at school and I sit there and listen to the radio watch the semi trucks.   Today a few Chevy Saburbans and Tahoes went by and I know that must hurt at the pump.  

Yeah, it’s times like these I don’t miss my XJ as a daily, 20.5 gallon tank bs 16.9 gallon for my 200, there were times I spent over $60 a week to feed it just before things crashed in ‘08 as prices were about $4.40-$4.60 a gallon for regular and I was driving 12+ miles a day for work. I paid $4.04/gal for E85 in my 200 tonight and even if I wasn’t WFH, my drive to and from work is about 7-8 miles depending on where I go.  I  don’t want to think about feeding the ‘87 Chevy Beauville we had up until ‘06 or ‘07, it had a 33 gallon tank and a TBI 5.7l under the doghouse backed by a 700r4, you could probably put a 6.0l and 4l80e out of an Express Van, run it on E85, and still get better mileage than that TBI motor got!

10 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

For those that don't remember or seen the plastic was off color, sometimes opaque and pearlized.

I’ve got a 70’s release of the AMT ‘49 Merc molded in an off-white, slightly tan plastic. I didn’t notice any difference in durability or flexibility compared to normal white styrene though. So I sure wouldn’t be worried if kit manufacturers started blending in more recycled beads again to help combat the rising cost of plastic. 

And the week of panic and news stories about the crisis appears to be over here. Gas dropped 12 cents/L yesterday. And our premier announced that starting in April, they'll be waiving the 13cent/L provincial tax on gas and diesel, provided oil is over $90US/barrel. 

lolz

Whatever.

28 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

And the week of panic and news stories about the crisis appears to be over here. Gas dropped 12 cents/L yesterday. And our premier announced that starting in April, they'll be waiving the 13cent/L provincial tax on gas and diesel, provided oil is over $90US/barrel. 

lolz

Whatever.

Oh boy. It dropped a whole 12 cents per liter. So about 50 cents a gallon?

Here it's still DOUBLE what it was in 2020 when the USA was energy independent, a net energy exporter.

And don't tell me that's a political statement.

It's a simple fact.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, SfanGoch said:

Richard, glasspacks, straight-throughs and straight pipe mufflers have been illegal in NYC for quite some time. They've been popular in the city since the mid-late '80s when guys started tuning their rice burners. It's really bad on Roosevelt Avenue through Jackson Heights and Corona in Queens because its entire length is covered by the IRT elevated tracks. It causes the angry lawnmower sound to reverberate off the buildings on either side of the street.

Stan, Absolutely correct. Like other laws, they only work if they're enforced. I live in upper Manhattan and it's an all-night noise fest with loud "mufflers", motorcycles and fireworks year round. This isn't the place to be pointing fingers but I think that we New Yorker's know where the problem lies. 

• Like 1