Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW FAKE PAYPAL SCAM

Just got one...an email purporting to be a receipt for a $100 transaction I didn't make, with a notice at the bottom that says 

"Iecceiejhecceiejh381288160fecceiejhecceiejh381288160 yecceiejhecceiejh381288160oecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejh decceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejhdecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejh'tecceiejhecceiejh mecceiejhecceiejhaecceiejhecceiejhkecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejh tecceiejhecceiejhhecceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejh oecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejhdecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh o381288160ecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh381288160 iecceiejhecceiejhfecceiejhecceiejh yecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejh becceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhlecceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhvecceiejhecceiejh381288160e381288160ecceiejhecceiejh aecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejh uecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejhaecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejhhecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejhzecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhdecceiejhecceiejh pecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejh iecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejh aecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhmecceiejhecceiejhpecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejhgecceiejhecceiejh tecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejh aecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejh yecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh aecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejh, pecceiejhecceiejhlecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhaecceiejhecceiejhsecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejh cecceiejhecceiejhlecceiejhecceiejhiecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejhkecceiejhecceiejh tecceiejhecceiejhhecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejh becceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejhtecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejh becceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhlecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhwecceiejhecceiejh fecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh cecceiejhecceiejhaecceiejhecceiejhnecceiejhecceiejhcecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhlecceiejhecceiejh yecceiejhecceiejhoecceiejhecceiejhuecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh oecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejhdecceiejhecceiejheecceiejhecceiejhrecceiejhecceiejh."

The "button" takes you to a fake PayPal site and steals your password when you log in. 

Watch your backsides, fellas.   ;)

• Like 3

You have been lucky enough that this is the first one you got!!!! I have been getting them for a long time.

Two things, among many, to check on questionable emails.

It should be addressed to you by the full name registered to your PP account. NOT 'customer' or other generic title. 

Before you EVER click on a button in a email 'Hover'  over the button with your cursor. The buttons URL will show on your browser in the lower left. (may display in different place on different device/browser)

If the URL is some odd address then you know it's FAKE! 

Thanks

• Like 3

I've received junk text messages for --or, "from"-- Wells-Fargo, Bank of America, Amazon, Costco, and PayPal. 

I delete those texts ASAP -- I don't even want that garbage on my phone in any capacity.

Other than PayPal, I don't employ the services of any of the others (especially the "jungle" site).

Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Contact paypal and advise them regarding what occured with your account, there is a paypal site to report fake sites to them.

greg

You can forward fake e-mails to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM ....it can help stop these. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

You have been lucky enough that this is the first one you got!!!! I have been getting them for a long time.

I've been getting bogus PayPal emails for a few years, but this is the first one formatted as a receipt.

The previous ones have usually been something to the effect of "We've noticed suspicious activity and have shut down your account. Click here to log in to check it..." or some such.

Either way, it's a phishing attempt to capture your password at login.

53 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Are you meaning to tell me that there’s not an extended warranty program on my 19-year-old pickup? 

My daily driver is 32, and the idiots used to bug me mercilessly...but my homegrown version of "Robokiller" is way more fun than theirs, seems to be about 99.9% effective, and it didn't cost me a nickel.   B)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My daily driver is 32, and the idiots used to bug me mercilessly...but my homegrown version of "Robokiller" is way more fun than theirs, seems to be about 99.9% effective, and it didn't cost me a nickel.   B)

Haha. One time I answered an extended warranty call and started doing a Hank Hill impression. He hung up after I told him he should consider looking into buying some propane and propane accessories. 

This is not a new scam. I get "cancel order" or "locked account" spams supposedly from PayPal, amazon, and many other companies where I don't even have accounts.  Just like with all other scams check the actual email address they come from.

Surprisingly I have been receiving very few spam or scam emails recently.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

My Wife looked at our bank debit card statement a few days ago and there was a $1.75 deduction from PayPal.  SOB's can figure out all kind of ways to screw us.

Mike, this doesn't sound very clear. If this was a "real" PayPal transaction, you can login into your PayPal account, and check that transaction.  It should give you more details why a dollar seventy five was withdrawn from your bank account.  This is all assuming that you have that bank account tied the "real" PayPal.

Or are you saying that scammer pretending to be PayPal withdrew that small amount of money from your bank account? 

When I sometimes pre-order or reserve some model from an online merchant using PayPal, that merchant withdraws a small amount of money from PayPal, then when the item is shipped, they charge the remainder of the price from PayPal.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Mike, this doesn't sound very clear. If this was a "real" PayPal transaction, you can login into your PayPal account, and check that transaction.  It should give you more details why a dollar seventy five was withdrawn from your bank account.  This is all assuming that you have that bank account tied the "real" PayPal.

Or are you saying that scammer pretending to be PayPal withdrew that small amount of money from your bank account? 

When I sometimes pre-order or reserve some model from an online merchant using PayPal, that merchant withdraws a small amount of money from PayPal, then when the item is shipped, they charge the remainder of the price from PayPal.

Nope, no pre-order or reserve and no, our PayPal accound did not show anything.

11 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Nope, no pre-order or reserve and no, our PayPal accound did not show anything.

Then you should contact your bank and PayPal to dispute the charges, probably change all your passwords, etc.

If somebody can get $1.75, they can just as easily clean you out.

NEVER have a debt or checking account linked to Paypal or any online payment service. 

If you have a fraud issue with debit or checking the bank has 90 days to look into it. You may loose your car in 90 days if someone cleared your account.

Credit card fraud has to be put on a hold status THE DAY YOU INFORM  your CC company and they can not charge you.

Keep yourself safe....no one else will do it! 

Yes Dave, I only have a credit card and a bank account (dedicated just to PayPal) tied to my  PayPal account.  That way I can receive money from PayPal, or pay using my bank account or credit card.  Unless I sent many as Friends and Family transfer, I pay using the credit card. That way I'm double protected (I can dispute a charge through PayPal or credit card).

Mike, after you explained I would seriously recommend to  contact your bank about that $1.45 charge.  As others have said, if someone got a hold of your account info and withdrew small amount, they can just as easily empty that account.

• 1 month later...

I haven't received this one, yet, but I'm sure G00gle will see that I typed this and allow one to show up now.  I received Amazon phishing emails, which I reported.  Amazon also found a way to screw me, they somehow got me signed up for a business account, and had been sucking from me for months before I discovered it, so I have nothing good to say about Amazon.