Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevy II "Gasser"

mademan

Been waiting for this kit for about 5 years since the initial 3d print was done and i'm glad its finally here. Out of the box, it looks fantastic!  Lots of goodies included, little detail stuff etc.

I started out like I do every kit, by filling in the sub-frame rails...... its a pet peeve of mine, I hate seeing a finished model with hollow rails. I build my models how it would be done in 1:1 for the most part, if it wouldn't look or function in that way, then it has to be corrected. After that, I started to mock up the front suspension. I am still unsure if I will use the kit SBC and detail it out, or if I will go with a 3d printed Big Block.

IMG_9964.JPG

IMG_9965.JPG

IMG_9966.JPG

IMG_9967.JPG

IMG_9968.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

Seems to be a pretty nice kit. My only issue and maybe mine alone is the directions. They are done well and nice and clear. Good drawings and nice color photo it's just the format I don't care for. Like I say, I may be alone in that.

Tbh I'd be lying if I said I even looked at the instructions.  I dont like the format of Moebius instructions ( lonestar, and ford trucks)  so I just choose to not look at them qnd build all over the place. Lol

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

A small block? That's disappointing. 409's were on their way out in '65 but they are still a good looking engine. 

I've got a 1:1 with a 500hp stroker so I tend to lean towards the small blocks.  But I kinda want to toss a 584 Brodix with a tunnel ram and dual quads.  Only issue I have is the fenderwell headers, I'd need to source a set for the big block... possibly the monogram spirit 57 chevy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Less weight up front, too. Even a 383 SBC would be a better choice vs. a Mark IV. 

Im even lighter up front with my 1:1 as ive got the Heidts subframe which frees up about 250lb.

Not much progress today, I wanted the front a tad bit higher for the obnoxious look.... so I added styrene to the leaf spring mounts and started to build mounts for up front.  Next will be the rear suspension, as I want to hang Fireball Modelworks N50-15s out under the wheel arches without radius-ing them; the rear will sit quite high.

IMG_9977.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

9b69aac75856bbab9209670b5d2081d5.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mademan said:

Not much progress today, I wanted the front a tad bit higher for the obnoxious look.... so I added styrene to the leaf spring mounts and started to build mounts for up front.  

I'm planning to go the other way with mine, mounting the axle on top of the springs so it sits a bit lower in the front. NHRA rules stated that the lower edge of the body could sit no higher than the centerlines of the axles, front and back. Although if you look at period pictures, this rule was often violated. 

Bit more progress, I decided on the 427/4speed from the AMT 67 Impala, however I will be using more detailed 3d Heads and Tunnel ram intake. Id also like to get my hands on some more MAS Aluminum valve covers but they are scarce these days.

I found a box of detail stuff that I didn't even know I had in my storage room ( must have been from when I moved 7 years ago) and amongst it was a Grump Lump scoop..... I like the look. Now to track down a pair of BBC fenderwell headers from the Spirit of 57 kit and ill be well on my way.

IMG_9981.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

• Like 5

Bit of progress on the 427/4spd. I painted the engine, trans and heads. Heads are mounted and I started working on the intake. The intake is a Wieand tunnel ram that I had bought a while back and started using on my 68 Chevelle, but decided to go another route. When removing it a piece broke off which had to be repaired, as well as some  styrene added to the runners to mate up with the heads properly. Heads are drilled for plugs/wires.

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9989.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

• Like 4

I managed to find a set of MAS aluminum valve covers in my storage area. I am quite happy with how the big block fits and looks. Ive been playing with stance and think i've got it figured out now. I will not be running the rear wheels, they are just for mock up purposes. I will however be using the tires. I need to shave the engine mounts a tiny bit more, so that the valve covers clear the hood.

IMG_9997.JPG

IMG_9998.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Edited by mademan
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, 1972coronet said:

Gorgeous duo! I wonder if Moebius will eventually offer a Mark IV for a variation of this kit?

BTW, what's the 'scoop' on that 1/12 scale '69 Zed in the background?

The 1/12 has the same Grump Lump scoop haha. It's my favorite. Street Machine build, all 3d printed details, vinyl top. Not decided on color yet but the top will be white.

Screenshot_20220316-163031_Instagram.jpg

Edited by mademan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its, Its..... a Ballroom Blitz!  Custom decals should be done soon "Ballroom Blitz" seems fitting.... song about getting rowdy. The 427 4speed went together well, and is right at home.

Paint went down today, heavy silver flake. no clear yet.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like 3