Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevy II "Gasser"

mademan

Great start!  Love that flaky paint you chose.

Question: what are the extra ‘goodies’ that come with this kit?  I don’t recall seeing mention of option parts for this specific kit (and mine didn’t arrive yet…)

Good start, I’ll be following! 

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Question: what are the extra ‘goodies’ that come with this kit?  I don’t recall seeing mention of option parts for this specific kit (and mine didn’t arrive yet…)

There's a list printed on the instruction sheet of most, but not all, of the extra parts.

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

9 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

There's a list printed on the instruction sheet of most, but not all, of the extra parts.

I'm gonna be completely honest....  I haven't looked at an instruction sheet for about 15 years. Nor did I look at the extras, I had a build in mind and just pulled out what I needed; That being said.... Mine will have all kinds of extra goodies since I've used very little from the box, lol

On 3/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, Snake45 said:

I'm planning to go the other way with mine, mounting the axle on top of the springs so it sits a bit lower in the front. NHRA rules stated that the lower edge of the body could sit no higher than the centerlines of the axles, front and back. Although if you look at period pictures, this rule was often violated. 

I'm going for the lower look too, but I think that I'll use the front suspension from the Beatnik Bandit II. It has the best Mustang II style front suspension in plastic. I have a couple of the R&D Unique cast metal independent front suspension kits but I still lean towards the plastic parts since if I need to add to something along the way it's easier to do and any time I can get good results without having to do something hard that'll be my path😉.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, mademan said:

The 1/12 has the same Grump Lump scoop haha. It's my favorite. Street Machine build, all 3d printed details, vinyl top. Not decided on color yet but the top will be white.

Screenshot_20220316-163031_Instagram.jpg

When I had a body shop and was still playing with the 1:1 scale pieces I painted a '69 Camaro for a friend and he let me do my own thing and I ended up doing the flat panels (ya know, the ones that are laying flat, facin' up) a silver mixed with nothing but  the coarsest aluminum flakes that Imron had and a dab of Yellow toner, just enough for a slight gold tinge in the valleys, and the sides the brightest red on their chart, and to separate 'em about a 3/4 to 1" stripe and the striper added an orange stripe around the yellow. It was a pretty attention getting piece then I buried it all under a full gallon of Imron Urethane clear to give enough to work with for a perfectly flat surface that looked deep enough to take a nap in.

• 4 weeks later...

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalrighty.... back from page 5 with some Minor updates. Mostly stuff that nobody will even notice. Having a 1:1 63 Nova with an aftermarket front subframe (Heidts)  .... not the one pictured but similar.  I couldn't just mount the support tubes to the firewall without proper mounting plates. So I shaped some out of flat styrene and am now waiting for my etch bolt heads to arrive. I've also been messing with headers and have had no luck with big block fenderwell headers ( looking for a set from the Monogram Spirit of 57 Gasser kit)  so I found these 3d headers I had laying around..... which may work with a bit of modification. I am going to dump them right at the toe board anyways so I wont need to worry about exhaust at all.

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

nova-gasser-subrame-headers-engine.webp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress..... Not much.... but a bit

I finished the mounts for the leaf springs, still waiting on my etch bolt heads to come in ......

I sprayed the interior panels with a deep red, and added foil to the panels to look like aluminum. I also got some machined tachs ( and other parts) from Brazil..... quality is great.

IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

• Like 2

Once again minimal progress.... I've been out in the shop working on my 1:1 63 Nova hardtop and 65 Parisienne.....so i've been neglecting the model subjects.

I like the kit wheels however they are not deep enough for the obnoxious stance/tires that I am using. So I got some wheels that I didn't like anyways from the 72 Challenger kit ( molded in yellow) and took the barrels off them, sanded down the top edge of the kit wheels and mated them together inside some Fireball Modelworks N50-15s. I absolutely love the look.

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, mademan said:

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalrighty.... back from page 5 with some Minor updates. Mostly stuff that nobody will even notice. Having a 1:1 63 Nova with an aftermarket front subframe (Heidts)  .... not the one pictured but similar.  I couldn't just mount the support tubes to the firewall without proper mounting plates. So I shaped some out of flat styrene and am now waiting for my etch bolt heads to arrive. I've also been messing with headers and have had no luck with big block fenderwell headers ( looking for a set from the Monogram Spirit of 57 Gasser kit)  so I found these 3d headers I had laying around..... which may work with a bit of modification. I am going to dump them right at the toe board anyways so I wont need to worry about exhaust at all.

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

On 4/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, mademan said:

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

If you're looking for a set of headers from the Monogram "Spirit of '57" kit you can quit now. Mainly since that kit was/is a rerelease from MPC/Round2.😉 But seriously now, there's a guy on Ebay that does 3D printing that among numerous other things produces a lot of different headers and his small block fenderwell exit headers are dead on perfect, (at least for the Cyclone one's I'm copying) he's "3dscaleparts" I'm not sure if he has a big block set but it doesn't hurt to check, who knows maybe you'll find something else that you just can't do without.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:47 PM, Larry Rose said:

No need. The kit comes with the required mounting plates...

I dont quite like the shape of the ones included. Based on the 2 1:1 subframe kits that I have I shaped mine after them.

I will have updates soon, body is foiled and my Custom decals have arrived.