Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suggestions for New or Returning Modelers

Hi, as a returning modeler (after a brief hiatus of 35yrs!), I'm bewildered and thrilled by all the stuff that's available now for building models. It shows how healthy this hobby is.

I have a suggestion that would definitely be helpful to me, and that would be if modelers on line, or in the printed mag., could include a list of the products they used in their build. For instance, the brand of filler or primer you used. Of course it wouldn't be necessary to list things that were already mentioned in the build. I don't want to make any more work for anyone, but I believe that such a list would be really helpful for a lot of folks. I mean, you gotta start somewhere.

What do people think?

• Like 3

I always include references to all the major materials and parts used in my build threads, and still get questions from people who obviously didn't read the text.

One has to wonder "why bother" at some point.

EDIT: I'll be more than happy to answer questions NOT covered in the text, but if somebody asks a question because they couldn't be bothered to read...not so much.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

I always point out a few things when I post pictures of my models such as the brand and color of paint and aftermarket parts. I know I appreciate other modelers that do this because there are times I want to use the same color paint they used or the aftermarket part they used prompts me to possibly go to the website and purchase it. It helps all of us in the hobby.

23 hours ago, afx said:

If you have any question about any build just ask.  Most if not all builder's on this forum are happy to share information.

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I tend not to get too specific, for this very reason. If someone really wants to know, I figure they'll ask. I'm always happy to respond!

Same here, and I'd bet most members here are the same, if you have a question, just ask.  And remember, there are no bad or "stupid" questions, just ones that haven't been answered yet. 😉

Creating such a list would be a challenge. There is such a wide variety of opinions that eventually conflict may arise. The best way is to look at someone's results. If they are creating the results you wish to obtain, read or ask what they used. I would suggest that you search this part of the forum as a start.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/forum/4-tips-tricks-and-tutorials/

On 3/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Ouch1 said:

Hi, as a returning modeler (after a brief hiatus of 35yrs!), I'm bewildered and thrilled by all the stuff that's available now for building models. It shows how healthy this hobby is.

I have a suggestion that would definitely be helpful to me, and that would be if modelers on line, or in the printed mag., could include a list of the products they used in their build. For instance, the brand of filler or primer you used. Of course it wouldn't be necessary to list things that were already mentioned in the build. I don't want to make any more work for anyone, but I believe that such a list would be really helpful for a lot of folks. I mean, you gotta start somewhere.

What do people think?

Welcome back to the hobby! As several here have posted, most modelers are glad to share whatever technique they used to create their model and the printed mag does try to include as much as the info you requested. If you have specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. Try a technique, if it doesn't work for you, don't get discouraged and just try something different on your next model.  I always say my favorite model is the next one!

While it is nice to know the sources of kits and supplies used in some build, keep in mind that in many cases kits, and even supplies (like paints, photo-etched items, or other things) can be long out of production and discontinued. Many modelers have very old kits and supplies in their stash.

Pete has made a point about old kits and paints plus accessories that are no longer available.

The hobby is in a constant state of flux and yes it can be bewildering to a newcomer or returner. There are products that keep going on year after year and some that fall by the wayside. So, lists either can or might not be helpful. The newcomer will be looking at what is available, whereas the returner might be a bit reflective and seeking things that they remember that are long gone.

No easy answer to this unfortunately, but any returner or newcomer has a wealth of knowledge at their disposal as us modellers are mostly very generous with both help and advice.

Model magazines have had an entire article about a kit or two used for a project yet they aren't readily available anymore. Frustrating.

The latest problem I've seen is a modeler letting us know they used Model Master paint. We might have some of that in our stash (I do) but sadly it is no more.

Tony, that's life unfortunately.

Manufacturers have a habit of releasing a model or product for a while before dropping it. So by the time a modeller writer obtains a kit, takes the necessary time to build, detail and paint a model, then write up an article, submit it to a magazine that may already have the next couple of issues material spoken for, then you can see why the process can appear a bit drawn out. One also has to remember that nearly all writers of magazine articles are not professional and make and write in their spare time that has to be fitted in with each of their own full time job, domestic and family commitments.

Even if the model being written about is proving difficult to source, generally articles have plenty of worthwhile information, hints, tips and techniques within that can be used on other models.

• Like 1

All true and sometimes I have been lucky enough to look in my closet and see I do have the particular model the article refers to and take advantage of the builders step by step instructions.

Along the lines of this subject I am glad I bought kits in the past and they have sat in my closet for years but haven't been seen since.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it.  I read every build thread that I'm interested in not only throughly,  but repeatedly.  As a 'Newby' I'm still trying to work out how the forum works.  For instance:  when I'm following an older thread,  I didn't know if I could still ask questions to the author in the original thread, or do I contact the builder directly, it's not so clear, at least, not to me. Actually, it's still not.  The amount of knowledge possessed by the modelers here is overwhelming, but terrific. There's so much to learn, and there are so many things to catch up on, that I have a list of questions filing the pages of my notebook. I just don't know the procedure for asking them of a completed build. Thanks again. 

You can do it either way.  Either ask your question by replying to the old thread (which will bring that thread to the top of the topic list), or contact the author of the thread by sending them a Personal Message (PM).

Keep in mind that members who authored old threads might have left the forum, or even past away.  Their posts remain on the forum.  For older threads it might be a good idea to see when the member who started the thread last visited the forum.  You can easily see that info by hovering the cursor over the author's avatar, or clicking on their avatar to bring up their profile page.  If they haven't visited the forum for several years, there is a good chance that they will not respond to your inquiries.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ouch1 said:

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it.  I read every build thread that I'm interested in not only throughly,  but repeatedly.  As a 'Newby' I'm still trying to work out how the forum works.  For instance:  when I'm following an older thread,  I didn't know if I could still ask questions to the author in the original thread, or do I contact the builder directly

10 hours ago, peteski said:

You can do it either way.  Either ask your question by replying to the old thread (which will bring that thread to the top of the topic list), or contact the author of the thread by sending them a Personal Message (PM).

^^^ What Pete said. As for me, I'd still be more than happy to answer or clarify just about anything from my old build threads.

Funny thing though...there seem to be a fair number of users who are of the opinion an older thread can't possibly have anything of value in it if it's been dormant for more than a couple of days or weeks...kinda the internet mentality in general, where anything more than a few hours old is ancient history.

Their loss. B)

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a global site, so someone in Europe might have access to products those of us in the USA don't. As has been mentioned, ask questions, most everyone here is willing to share their knowledge and sources of information and products used.

Also do not be afraid to do a search on this site. Different key words can bring up an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience. I have been inspired and energized by the works shown here! And please post your results. Old tricks are good, new dogs with new tricks are great!

Regards,

Jeff Oliver

• 10 months later...

In the day: Duro Plastic-Aluminum, Duco cement, Pactra and Testors bottle paint (later rattle cans), and plastic from old soap dishes, etc.  We've come a long way, baby!

I did use AMT body putty too, but it seemed to swell-up under some finishes.  When I re-started in the 'eighties, I was doing 1;1 cars, so Ditzler and Fiber-glass Evercoat products and the inevitable CA glues -- which is pretty much standard for me today.  I discovered aerosol touch-up paints from dealers parts counters in the 'sixties, which was pretty good, but now it's 95% PPG products for me, sometimes with U-Pol clear.  

For those who can, 1:1 finishes (often with catalyst) are a good option, especially if you can find a friendly store who gives away mis-matches.  As I worked in one as a retirement job, that's my go-to, and for primers/sealers also.  Where else could I get a free gallon of Hemi Orange?  Well, almost that...  Wick

On 3/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, Ouch1 said:

What do people think?

Heck, I'd be happy if builders just told us what the base kit is. Too many on this site don't say anything at all about their builds.

Even if products are out of production, it still lets us know how/what someone did.

I can't remember which, but one of the armor modeling magazine always lists all products used in their build articles. People who enter their models in contests really need to do the same thing, to help judges know what work has gone into a build.