Model Cars Magazine Forum

Permanent Black Sharpie Pens and Windshield Gaskets

Tried using a permanent black Sharpie on a outside windshield gasket; it does not seem like the ink from the Sharpie will ever dry and will always smear if touched.  Will it eventually dry?  Thoughts please. 

I have used Sharpies for windshield gaskets many times and have had no problem with the ink smearing.  After I have applied the ink, I set the parts aside for a couple of days before I install the glass.  I sometimes sand the edges of the glass before applying the ink (to remove excess flash and sprue attachment points).  You might try that and see if it helps.

• Like 1

It sort of sounds as though there has been a reaction between the marker ink and the paint over which it is applied.

One recommendation I would make is to use a brand other than Sharpie. The Sharpie ink has a distinct purple sheen to it, and it can retain a certain tackiness. Experiment with other brands for a better appearance. I prefer markers by Bic and DeSerres, which have a blacker ink, and seem to dry better, too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Sharpie ink has a distinct purple sheen to it... I prefer markers by Bic and DeSerres, which have a blacker ink

I've noticed the purple tint too so I stay away from Sharpies except for tiny touch ups, I'll try another brand.

I'm not a fan of using Black permanent Sharpies for several reasons.  Yes, they are really very dark purple (not black).  One of the main reasons I don't 'like them is that they have glossy finish (rubber gaskets are not shiny). They can also smudge, or be rubbed off.  They can affect the paint under them.  Many clears will make them run (turning your model into a purple mess).  CA glue will make them run, as will most solvent-based styrene glues.

If you still want to use Sharpies, and want true black, buy and use Sharpie Industrial marker. Those have red (not black) legends on them.  They have real black ink, but it will still have the problems I mentioned above (except purple).

11969355.jpg

I've used these Gundam acrylic markers a couple times and have liked the results compared to Sharpies.  I picked them up at Hobby Lobby for like $3-4 each.  The tip is crisp (hard to see in the pic but it's not a ball point type) and the paint has laid evenly the few times I've used them.  I haven't tried to remove the paint so far but I would imagine it will be easier than the Sharpie ink?

IMG-1451 (Medium).JPG

IMG-1452 (Medium).JPG

Edited by hedotwo

On 3/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, hedotwo said:

I've used these Gundam acrylic markers a couple times and have liked the results compared to Sharpies.  I picked them up at Hobby Lobby for like $3-4 each.  The tip is crisp (hard to see in the pic but it's not a ball point type) and the paint has laid evenly the few times I've used them.  I haven't tried to remove the paint so far but I would imagine it will be easier than the Sharpie ink?

IMG-1451 (Medium).JPG

IMG-1452 (Medium).JPG

Gundammarkers are getting more popular in the model community. I have herd nothing but positive feedback..

• 4 weeks later...