Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to use Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color

I bought this stuff in black and gray and then read on the bottle that you're not suppose to apply this over enamel paint or that it may cause the plastic to become brittle.................. What the heck. I guess I should have done a better job or researching....

I have my latest model painted with Testors gloss white and cleared with Krylon Gloss paint. Most of my painting is done with enamel paint. I've never tried to use anything to outline the panel lines.

I've seen on YouTube videos people applying this to bare plastic models and then finish painting them as well as using it on finished painted models. Never said whether if was enamel or not. My painted model as sat for about 10 days now and I'm wondering if I should be ok using it, or do I need to apply some other coating? Maybe Pledge floor finish?

Any application information would be appreciated.

I guess I should add that I did a test on a model that had been sprayed with Rust-Oleum 2X primer just to see how difficult it was to do and didn't notice any issues. Guess I should shoot some gloss white on that model and see what happens.

Be careful using that stuff!😕 Static electricity can cause the accent to leap off the applicator onto your model. I have also had the applicator belch a large drop of accent, so I always try to bleed some excess out of the applicator. Even better…I havestarted using a “glue looper” for thin CA to apply it. You could also make some accent by watering down some black acrylic paint. That would not harm the enamel paint. Good luck.

Yeah i have the tamiya panel line accent stuff myself but I've yet to use it.  I'm probably gonna use it for my gundam and zoid kits.  For what i do and the type paint i use tamiya panel line stuff is a no go on my car models because it's a oil based paint.  I'm gonna get some good quality water based black paint and thin it down really good with some distilled water.

I use Tamiya Panel Accent quite a bit. I, too, didn't realise it was enamel when I bought it. I have had this stuff effect Testors and Model Master enamels, the paint being melted and removed from edges/bolt heads when black washing engines, chassis parts, etc. As Greg mentioned above, bleed much of the wash from the brush with a rag before attempting to apply. Err on the side of caution, to avoid a big sploosh of wash draining off the brush and onto the model. 

When black washing enamel paint, I mix a wash of very thin black acrylic. However, for panel lines on most models, I deepen and define them, then I apply the Tamiya wash to the primered body, before I apply the paint. 

I have used it a lot.

It works best over Lacquer or Acrylic paints and gloss finishes. Any clean up when using Enamel on Enamel will result in damaged paint. Especially seeing as that’s what is in the panel line bottle is basically thinned enamel paint, imagine 1:5 paint:thinner and putting that on your fresh Enamel paint job. 

For panel lining Enamel base paints use thinned down oil paint. Mr Hobby do the Mr Weathering range or just mix your own with craft store oil paint and odourless thinner. As oils take longer to dry you can clean up with a Q tip before they are dry. No extra thinner required.

Edited by Sandboarder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

I have used it a lot.

It works best over Lacquer or Acrylic paints and gloss finishes. Any clean up when using Enamel on Enamel will result in damaged paint. Especially seeing as that’s what is in the panel line bottle is basically thinned enamel paint, imagine 1:5 paint:thinner and putting that on your fresh Enamel paint job. 

For panel lining Enamel base paints use thinned down oil paint. Mr Hobby do the Mr Weathering range or just mix your own with craft store oil paint and orderless thinner. As oils take longer to dry you can clean up with a Q tip before they are dry. No extra thinner required.

Great info there.  I guess I was ill informed on what i read about this stuff.  I've read it as an oil based product and wouldn't work on lacquer etc without damaging it.  So its safe on everything except anything enamel & chrome like alclad etc?

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

So its safe on everything except anything enamel & chrome like alclad etc?

It would depend on what thinners are used. The Gunpla guys like to use cigarette light fuel. 

You could always seal your enamel paint with acrylic before using the panel line accent. 

I normally used Tayima rattle cans,  so lacquer paint and have experimented with flat and gloss finishes. The capillary action you want to help it flow along the panel lines needs a smooth, gloss finish.