Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texas 3D Customs

I recently acquired this Chevy engine from Texas 3D Customs in 1/32 scale (on their eBay store you can choose the scale) - It was such high quality I thought I should share it. There is very little discernible layering on these parts (all parts are 1/32 scale in photos) and very little cleanup on visible surfaces. There are some support “nubs” but they are easily knocked/sliced/sanded off. These are some of the nicest 3D parts I have purchased. He sells on eBay and, I believe, Facebook also. He has a slant Sox in the works…so, he will be getting more orders from me. 

Note the front bracket in the blower. Not something even remotely possible with molded parts. 

There are belts included also - I’ll add photos later  

2F8CD4F4-D06E-4495-8064-73B48A919746.jpeg

25BD0901-85D3-4A36-9EBC-E8640C27F81F.jpeg

E56C8C5E-69BE-4898-A4D8-79DFE02154D4.jpeg

739C546A-D4BC-4759-A729-42323D02C479.jpeg

D0540752-3CA9-41D9-ADE0-B7406062D233.jpeg

4848C2CC-0FE2-41F2-9E13-54CCD001D2D1.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 64SS350 said:

Right!? I purchased a 1/24 scale, and yes the detail is awesome!

I hope some of these guys doing this will consider 1/25 scale also.

You might be able to get a 1/25 from Texas 3D. Some of his items on eBay have instructions in description for different scales - I asked him about it because I’d like to get some stuff in 1/20. 

Whatever printer he is using, along with his skills in using it, produce a super nice product.

Hey guys thanks for the positive feedback, I would ask that you buy from my website https://texas3dcustoms.myshopify.com/ as eBay fees are eating me alive. I try to keep the cost down and with raising shipping rates its getting hard to turn a profit. I know profit is a four letter word, but I will own it I do make a profit although not a huge amount but I think its fair for the time I put into it, as I don't ship on the supports as some other very popular makers do this whole process is very time consuming not to mention the cost of everything. To get back to the point the slant 6 will be out very soon, I had to make some changes to the transmission block and head but I printed it last night and now am at work, yes this is just a side gig for me. Also there are a couple of items on my website that aren't on eBay yet. Again thanks for the review and I hope I can continue to provide quality parts for y'all.  That's straight up Texan right there.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, 64SS350 said:

Right!? I purchased a 1/24 scale, and yes the detail is awesome!

I hope some of these guys doing this will consider 1/25 scale also.

So I chose 1/24 over 1/25 for a specific reason, I use 1/24 engines in 1/25 as they just plain look better. Nothing gets big American V8 better than a slight upsize. Now I can do 1/25 but the difference is so minimal like 1-2mm in length difference, to me its not worth the hassle but I will do it upon request. I did have a customer insist on it on my 1st gen hemi, he liked it and wanted a second, I asked him to take the risk on just getting a 1/24 with the assurance I would send him a 1/25 if he was unhappy. He ended up liking the 1/24 better and has stuck with that since then. Like I said I am not against it, but even with the 1st gen blown hemi which is one of the larger engines I do its not much. The only engine I could see making a significant difference is the 6BT 12V Cummins, because that thing is gynormous. For reference an LS block is 24" long a Flathead is 30" long the 6BT is 40" long, these are all 1:1 sizes.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:16 PM, catpack68 said:

I have a 5.9 Cummins diesel engine/trans coming from Texas 3D Customs.I will post pics of it when it arrives.

Let me beat you to it, I don't do hand picking of items so no this is not just a cherry picked example. Chuck from Chucks Hobby Spot asked me for the best example for his review, he paid for them so unbiased, and as I told him, there are not better ones, they are all the same within reason.

20220305_153536.jpg

20220305_154831.jpg

On 3/15/2022 at 9:37 AM, Erik Smith said:

I recently acquired this Chevy engine from Texas 3D Customs in 1/32 scale (on their eBay store you can choose the scale) - It was such high quality I thought I should share it. There is very little discernible layering on these parts (all parts are 1/32 scale in photos) and very little cleanup on visible surfaces. There are some support “nubs” but they are easily knocked/sliced/sanded off. These are some of the nicest 3D parts I have purchased. He sells on eBay and, I believe, Facebook also. He has a slant Sox in the works…so, he will be getting more orders from me. 

Note the front bracket in the blower. Not something even remotely possible with molded parts. 

There are belts included also - I’ll add photos later  

I will say this, while I don't hate you guys for this, I do hate doing 1:32. Its so small and so delicate its not easy to do. I will say I do enjoy making these for people though, its a double edged sword.

7 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I will say this, while I don't hate you guys for this, I do hate doing 1:32. Its so small and so delicate its not easy to do. I will say I do enjoy making these for people though, its a double edged sword.

I really appreciate odd scales - thanks for making them available. 

I will go through your website for future purchases - thanks!

• 1 month later...

Shout out and thanks to Charlie. Received an order today. Excellent packaging and very happy with the contents.

100% agree with Erik's statements about the high quality of Texas 3D Customs products. I will be a return customer for sure.

I purchased engines and a set of wheels. All 1:24.

Really like how support attachment points are placed in discrete locations and are minute in size and will be super easy to clean up.

Supercharged Chev 572.

JxafaHL.jpg

Ford Boss 302.

xvhsIGi.jpg

Ford GT350 5.2L.

xvdinnf.jpg

Toyota 2JZ-GTE, single turbo top mount.

QL4r328.jpg

Nissan RB26 HKS, single turbo top mount, manual, rear wheel drive. (included the twin turbo set up)

0LzO8tY.jpg

Weld Draglites.

fq9YyG9.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

• 3 weeks later...

Charles did some "on demand" printing for me with some files I supplied to him. The work was incredible!
While it was not automotive, his fees were reasonable I felt, and he worked with me to assure the most "bang for my buck"
in fitting as many pieces on the print plate that would work out. While I was picking up my items he showed me some samples of his
motors, wheels, and tires. I was really impressed with the tires as they were pliable resin, and so much like rubber.
I picked up a blown Hemi because it never hurts to have one of this quality lying around just in case.
The photo was taken under a very harsh, bright light so what looks like blemishes are nothing but differences in the color
of how the resin cured.

eldar.jpg

Edited by Jimmy Wilson
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

Eric did some "on demand" printing for me with some files I supplied to him. The work was incredible!
While it was not automotive, his fees were reasonable I felt, and he worked with me to assure the most "bang for my buck"
in fitting as many pieces on the print plate that would work out. While I was picking up my items he showed me some samples of his
motors, wheels, and tires. I was really impressed with the tires as they were pliable resin, and so much like rubber.
I picked up a blown Hemi because it never hurts to have one of this quality lying around just in case.
The photo was taken under a very harsh, bright light so what looks like blemishes are nothing but differences in the color
of how the resin cured.

Thanks for your feedback, it was nice to meet you and your wife, I am still curious who Eric is though.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:29 PM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Thanks for your feedback, it was nice to meet you and your wife, I am still curious who Eric is though.

You were a very gracious host allowing us into your home, and "pulling back the curtain" to see where the magic happens. It was mind blowing to see your shop, and looking at the inventory. I turned 65 today, that must be the reason. I must have had the "Erik" post from above in my mind, and couldn't remember your name or spell his correctly.
CHARLES, is an incredibly nice guy and talented craftsman.

Edited by Jimmy Wilson

8 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

You were a very gracious host allowing us into your home, and "pulling back the curtain" to see where the magic happens. It was mind blowing to see your shop, and looking at the inventory. I turned 65 today, that must be the reason. I must have had the "Erik" post from above in my mind, and couldn't remember your name or spell his correctly.
CHARLES, is an incredibly nice guy and talented craftsman.

I was just poking fun at the comment, it all good.

4 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I was just poking fun at the comment, it all good.

I knew that, especially since I didn't get shot when I forgot the correct "secret knock" sequence at the door! And you didn't lure me inside to be dinner for the labradoodles, or killer poodles depending on their mood.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

JW, I can appreciate your frustration for printing 1:32 parts, but... your parts open up areas for builders that like to branch out to the "non-standard" scales (me being one of them), I now have options for the modifications I can do to old Revell, Pyro, Testers, Monogram, AMT, etc kits which don't include engines or many wheel options.

20140305_115023.thumb.jpg.ecf07c12ee2df0e99901e75f103ac91f.jpg20140305_120045.thumb.jpg.e7bf5cd3247cf572acd4645679c51fef.jpg

12 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

I knew that, especially since I didn't get shot when I forgot the correct "secret knock" sequence at the door! And you didn't lure me inside to be dinner for the labradoodles, or killer poodles depending on their mood.

They are good dogs, the younger one just tends to be more reserved and protective of the house. But you have to admit that momma dog was very sweet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blunc said:

JW, I can appreciate your frustration for printing 1:32 parts, but... your parts open up areas for builders that like to branch out to the "non-standard" scales (me being one of them), I now have options for the modifications I can do to old Revell, Pyro, Testers, Monogram, AMT, etc kits which don't include engines or many wheel options.

20140305_115023.thumb.jpg.ecf07c12ee2df0e99901e75f103ac91f.jpg20140305_120045.thumb.jpg.e7bf5cd3247cf572acd4645679c51fef.jpg

Well I just did 4 Offys in 1:43 scale, guy was real chill about them not being perfect but I would've keep trying if he didn't stop me. So now I have a whole new level of frustration.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:53 AM, 89AKurt said:

I just noticed this thread.  I saw what Luke got on another thread, so I ordered some parts, and requested the Mercedes body.  Highly recommended.

IMG_3807.thumb.jpg.a96535bce8175a2eefc8d519be89937a.jpg

This body is 3D Printed, not cast? I see very minor evidence of "stepping" represented by the swirls in the door. I know that stepping is inherent in the process, but this is by far the nicest printed body i have seen. Kudos to the designer and printer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

This body is 3D Printed, not cast? I see very minor evidence of "stepping" represented by the swirls in the door. I know that stepping is inherent in the process, but this is by far the nicest printed body i have seen. Kudos to the designer and printer.

It is printed, I am not sure if I am going to continue doing bodies as they just aren't good enough for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

It is printed, I am not sure if I am going to continue doing bodies as they just aren't good enough for me.

I got this body from Shapeways.  The resolution (or whatever you call how fine the print is) is good, but I still wet sanded it.  But this plastic developed a weird fuzz after some time, so don't know what that is about.   Whenever I get around to doing this project, I'll report what I do to smooth it out, it's just part of the art of not doing the easy thing of building OOB models.

IMG_8840.jpg