Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the rules on truck licence plates?

A research question, to help me complete my Kenworth K100. I want to model the truck as belonging to a fictitious owner operator in Houston, Texas, and I am confused by US truck licence plates. I have looked at loads of photos of K100s during ths build, and some have only one plate while others have several. Why? Is it something to do with different states having different laws for commercial vehicles working within their boundaries? Also, does a truck tractor unit have to display a plate on the rear (rear of the tractor)? What plates would my K100, operating out of Houston in the late 1980s, have to display?

Thanks to any of you who can share some knowledge! I looked at TxDOT online and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

bekins_kw_lyndhurst_nj_81b.jpg

file0045.jpg

Simon,

For a late '80s Texas truck you only need a Texas Apportioned (if the truck will travel out of Texas) plate. For a truck that will only travel in Texas a truck plate is needed. Fuel decals for the side of the truck are a different story. As late as 1995 some states issued decals for fuel permits. Tennessee required the fuel permit number to be painted on the passenger side only. Don't get me started on the hassle of filing individual fuel tax reports with every state you were permitted in, mostly quarterly. Thankfully since '95 and the implementation of the International Fuel Tax Agreement all that is out the window.

If I can help any more please ask.

For you who build more reecent trucks I found this site which may help you with fuel decals:

Fuel decal pics and info.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

I don't know if you can help me but I have many questions regarding number plates and other things.

Why do some trucks require more than one licence plate?

Does the trailer have to have the same licence plate as the truck?

What was the purpose of the "Bingo Card" and was it fitted to the front of the tractor only not the trailer?

What were all the numbers on the side of trucks for?

On modern trucks I see there is a number sometimes at the bottom of the doors which says USDOT######. Does this number refer to an annual test or inspection?

Many Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Mike,

I don't know if you can help me but I have many questions regarding number plates and other things.

Why do some trucks require more than one licence plate?

Does the trailer have to have the same licence plate as the truck?

What was the purpose of the "Bingo Card" and was it fitted to the front of the tractor only not the trailer?

What were all the numbers on the side of trucks for?

On modern trucks I see there is a number sometimes at the bottom of the doors which says USDOT######. Does this number refer to an annual test or inspection?

Many Thanks

Dave

#1 Nowadays trucks don't require more than one plate. In all 50 states, trucks are now licensed for the state it is based in.

#2 See answer #1

#3 The trailer license numbers are different than trucks, as 1 truck will not pull the same trailer all the time. Owner operators may own their own trailers, but the plate on it will not be the same as the truck.

#4 The "bingo card" carried the inspection stickers for each of the states. They are no longer in use.

IMG_1280.jpg

#5 The first number is the "Vehicle Identification Number".

The second number is the "Inter-Continental-Carrier" registration number.

The third number is "United States Department Of Transportation" registry number.

The fourth number is the "Gross Vehicle Weight" rating number, showing how much total weight is allowed to be carried (usually this number is 80,000LBS, but since this carrier uses split tandem trailers, they have an extra 10,000LBS extra allowable weight difference).

The fifth number is "Gross Vehicle Weight" rating in metric weights (this carrier runs in and around Canada a lot).

#6 See #5 for U.S.D.O.T.

I hope this helps you out....

I have to chime in here.. the VIN on the truck in question tells me:

The truck is a 2007 model year, built in the Denton factory.

(I know, I always have to put a Peterbilt spin on everything..)

Tim

#5 The first number is the "Vehicle Identification Number".

The second number is the "Inter-Continental-Carrier" registration number.

The third number is "United States Department Of Transportation" registry number.

The fourth number is the "Gross Vehicle Weight" rating number, showing how much total weight is allowed to be carried (usually this number is 80,000LBS, but since this carrier uses split tandem trailers, they have an extra 10,000LBS extra allowable weight difference).

The fifth number is "Gross Vehicle Weight" rating in metric weights (this carrier runs in and around Canada a lot).

#6 See #5 for U.S.D.O.T.

I hope this helps you out....

I have to chime in here.. the VIN on the truck in question tells me:

The truck is a 2007 model year, built in the Denton factory.

(I know, I always have to put a Peterbilt spin on everything..)

Tim

I couldn't tell you Tim.... You'd know better than I would :lol: . It is a very different truck though! It's a special edition Peterbilt, known as a Legacy Edition 379. Here's more pictures of it.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

I think it would make a great project....

Simon,

For a late '80s Texas truck you only need a Texas Apportioned (if the truck will travel out of Texas) plate. For a truck that will only travel in Texas a truck plate is needed. Fuel decals for the side of the truck are a different story. As late as 1995 some states issued decals for fuel permits. Tennessee required the fuel permit number to be painted on the passenger side only. Don't get me started on the hassle of filing individual fuel tax reports with every state you were permitted in, mostly quarterly. Thankfully since '95 and the implementation of the International Fuel Tax Agreement all that is out the window.

If I can help any more please ask.

For you who build more reecent trucks I found this site which may help you with fuel decals:

Fuel decal pics and info.

You can also use the same site above to find the Texas Apportioned plates. Just go to the top of the page and click on the US and CA tab.

If the truck you are building (based in Texas), ran into Oregon on a regular basis, the front of the truck had to carry an Oregon PUC plate as well as the Texas Apportioned plate. Oregon was the last state to require their own separate plate. That requirement was dropped around 2001-2002.

The numbers on that Pete Legacy were all required in the late '80s. Now all you need is the DOT number and the last 8 digits of the VIN for U.S. trucks.

Hope we're all helping instead of confusing!

Lee

This kind of information is very helpful indeed. It might seem dull if you are familiar with what the numbers and various plates are all for, but if you don't understand US trucking regulations the numbers, decals and plates are a complete mystery ;)

I'll look again at this thread when I start my next truck.

Edited by Simon

ed;

apportionmate, and DOT / HUD tags are required by many states when you do interstate hauling or move doubles / triples...

and what ever you friggen do, make sure you have the right endorsements on your CDL or you are screwed..... I know a local driver, who picked a few pieces of HAZMAT up, and ended up having a leak, and him, and his company had major issues due to no tags on the box container, and he had a chemical leak and no hazmat endorsement on CDL..... luckily the trooper that opened it first from the smoke didnt get killed from the vapor nor an explosion due to fast fresh oxygen like a fire.... this just goes to show you need drums tied to a wall under all circumstances

bill

Gosh ,I thought I had thoroughly confused Simon for life in a VEEEERY long P-M to him on this very subject . Now ya'all have even gone a step further ! He probably wont want to come back here fer a visit ever again ! Ed Shaver