Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 "Jungle Jim" Nova (Fictional build)

Modlbldr

6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I'm currently building a Beretta Pro Street kit. 

For the framework inside your doors have you considered using styrene rods?  Gluing the styrene rods together should be easier than soldering the brass rods.  

Keep up the great work on this.

Thanks! I've been keeping a close eye on your Beretta build. You're doing amazing work on it.

I had thought about doing the door  framework in styrene but wanted to try brass for a couple reasons. I have a ton of it from my buddy's supply and I want to teach myself to solder. I thought the door and trunk framework would be a relatively straightforward project to start with since it is mainly just straight bars and wouldn't require anything to be totally accurate and plumb. I think I need to try a smaller diameter wire though and try incorporating more bends (make the perimeter in one piece) rather than so many individual bars with many solder joints. 

It's all a learning experience!

BTW- I got a bit more time to work on the chassis last night but nothing photo-worthy.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 6:13 AM, Modlbldr said:

Thanks! I've been keeping a close eye on your Beretta build. You're doing amazing work on it.

I had thought about doing the door  framework in styrene but wanted to try brass for a couple reasons. I have a ton of it from my buddy's supply and I want to teach myself to solder. I thought the door and trunk framework would be a relatively straightforward project to start with since it is mainly just straight bars and wouldn't require anything to be totally accurate and plumb. I think I need to try a smaller diameter wire though and try incorporating more bends (make the perimeter in one piece) rather than so many individual bars with many solder joints. 

It's all a learning experience!

BTW- I got a bit more time to work on the chassis last night but nothing photo-worthy.

Later-

I worked in a Radiator factory when I was 18 for a couple years and learned to soider and learn to weld in the muffler shops I worked in.  Be carful buddy..

• Like 1