Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Chrome Marker breakdown

As I am unable to find any Bare Metal Foil at an affordable price, I bought a 1mm Molotow Chrome Marker. It worked well at the start, then suddenly 1/2 ways through a light bezel it stopped working. 
Do I need to clean the tip somehow or is there a special technique I need to use? 

Before use I just shook the pen for 30 seconds or so then started to use it. 

Stay safe and enjoy!

How old is the pen? has it been stored in a cool place? Has the paint you are using it over fully gassed out? Has it been stored with the tip pointing up? The pens seem to go bad if they are somewhere with large temprature flucuations. I have a set of the first pens that are still good but i dont keep them anywhere near heat and store them with the point up when not being used. You can pump out a little of the pens and brush it on without any problems but you have to be quick or it will dry. You may find that it just needs a longer shake if its been sitting a while. If the paint you are using it over hasn't fully gassed out it can gunk up the tips and cause them to stop working.

12 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

How old is the pen? has it been stored in a cool place? Has the paint you are using it over fully gassed out? Has it been stored with the tip pointing up? The pens seem to go bad if they are somewhere with large temprature flucuations. I have a set of the first pens that are still good but i dont keep them anywhere near heat and store them with the point up when not being used. You can pump out a little of the pens and brush it on without any problems but you have to be quick or it will dry. You may find that it just needs a longer shake if its been sitting a while. If the paint you are using it over hasn't fully gassed out it can gunk up the tips and cause them to stop working.

I've had issues off and on with Molotow pens and mine are always stored at room temperature. What I am going to try is standing them tip us as you suggest. By the way, has anyone tried using the refill? I'd hate to spend what seems like too much money only to find out that it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you want bare metal foil, go to someplace that sells party supplies and buy some silver wrapping paper, also used as filler for gift bags. It's as close to chrome as I've found anywhere and $5 or so will buy you a lifetimes worth. 

31 minutes ago, conchan said:

The pen was just bought today so I have no idea how old it is. 
I tried shaking it longer and more vigorously, but that didn’t change anything. 
It was being used over bare plastic when it died.

Have you pushed down on the tip to release more ink? It works like a little plunger, push the tip straight down a few times (not on your model) and it should work again.

• Like 1

I had the same problem . I bought one of those large refill bottles. When it was about half empty I pulled the tip out of all the pens and poured it into the refill bottle. The tip on the refill bottle is small and comes out drip by drip. Some masking tape and a steady hand I can do all of the chrome with a brush. 

Mike

7 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I had the same problem . I bought one of those large refill bottles. When it was about half empty I pulled the tip out of all the pens and poured it into the refill bottle. The tip on the refill bottle is small and comes out drip by drip. Some masking tape and a steady hand I can do all of the chrome with a brush. 

Mike

Me too. I got tired of the pen drying out (it will unless you use it every day) and now I just order the refill and put it into one of those empty glass paint bottles you can get at the dollar store.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Is any other manufacturer developing jars of something similar, just as good, and a quarter of the price?

Molotov is very,very good but also very, very over priced for what it is and the quantity in this user's opinion.

look up green stuff chrome,

I've been curious about the Green Stuff since I saw it in the magazine, but have seen no demos on the forum.

42 minutes ago, Raoul Ross said:

I found this while also looking for alternatives, but it's $PRICY$

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/collections/potions/products/mirror

Very interesting, Raoul. I'd like to learn a little more about this stuff, too.

Green stuff world, Alcad, Spaztix.  If the surface is done right and the black base is right any one of the 3 will give you identical results that will be hard to tell apart.  All 3 are amazing if the part there going on is perfect and the black base is perfect.  Spaz is amazing especially for the price @ $12 for a bottle at hobby town for a 2oz bottle compared too what you would pay for 2oz of alclad.

1 hour ago, Deathgoblin said:

I've learned that if you have a fan on anywhere near where you're using the pen, that can cause problems.  I keep one on my desk because the room I work in gets stuffy, and I have to turn it off before working with the pens.  

Interesting. I wonder why that is. 

28 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Sorry man, I didn't see your location. That's a bummer.

No worries at all. 
Shipping from the US abroad (to Japan) is insane from almost every company.
There are many after market parts, paints, etc. that I'd love to try but just can't because of the shipping costs.  Not a real problem as I just have to look for alternate solutions. But it is an inconvenience. 
Stay safe and enjoy!