Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blue Mule Ford W9000 and Carolina Dodge L-1000 cabovers

Got a couple cabovers I'm working on here. The Blue Mule Ford W9000 from Whiteline Fever and a Dodge L-1000 that will be a Carolina Trucking when completed. I spent hours cutting out where the Windows go and got the Ford painted white and the Dodge in primer. Cold weather is preventing me from getting much painting done. You don't see the frames yet because they are just pre-built cab swaps.

20220324_120536.jpg

34 minutes ago, James Maynard said:

You're welcome. Hope you find some cabs there you want to build.

I already have the Dodge L-Series, but mine is the daycab version.  Planning on using the AMT GMC Astro or Chevrolet Titan frame when I ever get around to building it.

James the Frightliner SD and DD make a good donor for the Dodge cab. I picked up a tip years ago here on the site about fitting the glass in these resin cabs. Use something like a Dremel to grind on the inside of the cab windows a little lip this allows for the glass to be closer to the outside seeing how the resin is thick on these cabs. There was someone else here that had the same problem with the Blue Mule decals. 

6 minutes ago, Jim B said:

I already have the Dodge L-Series, but mine is the daycab version.  Planning on using the AMT GMC Astro or Chevrolet Titan frame when I ever get around to building it.

Post a WIP when you get it started. I can't get the weather to cooperate so I can get my Dodge painted. It's going to be Red and Black. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

James the Frightliner SD and DD make a good donor for the Dodge cab. I picked up a tip years ago here on the site about fitting the glass in these resin cabs. Use something like a Dremel to grind on the inside of the cab windows a little lip this allows for the glass to be closer to the outside seeing how the resin is thick on these cabs. There was someone else here that had the same problem with the Blue Mule decals. 

Thanks for the tip. What do you use for glass in your resin cabs?

5 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

I use clear plastic that Hobby Lobby sells in the model section. It’s very thin and easy to cut plus it goes around bends 

AITM sent something like that but it's got a blue tint to it. I use the plastic containers cupcakes you get from Walmart come in sometimes for my glass.

15 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nice job on both so far.  I'm guessing that the white stripe on the Dodge is a decal?  Are the Blue Mule decals from JBot?

Yeah it was a leftover decal from something else. The Blue Mule decal is from Model Truckin. The Dodge decals are from there too. The Dodge is completed now in the under glass section.