Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yellow Fever Competition Coupe, Keeler's Kustoms

stavanzer

A Thread Starter for Discussions about this new Kit. IIRC, it has been noted to have a Ford Engine in it. I wonder if the Re-tooled Hemi from the "Jungle Jim Camaro" will fit in this kit. It sounds logical since both kits were tooled by Revell, and both will be coming from Atlantis now. A little judicious engine swapping might get you a Hemi Powered Fiat Screamer!

Anyway, here we go.

An easier swap would be the 392 from the ex-Revell, soon-to-be-Atlantis, '53 Studebaker funny car.  It's an ex-parts pack engine, and the parts pack stuff interchanges more easily.  I'm saying this never having seen the engine in the JJ kit.

Yeah, until we see an In-Box review of the Camaro, I have no idea what kind of Hemi it is either. It is just that the Camaro is supposed to have an extra engine, that gave me the idea.

Between the Miss Deal Stude, this Yellow Fever and the Camaro, our "Cup Runneth Over" on 1960's-70's Drag Machinery.

23 hours ago, stavanzer said:

A Thread Starter for Discussions about this new Kit. IIRC, it has been noted to have a Ford Engine in it. I wonder if the Re-tooled Hemi from the "Jungle Jim Camaro" will fit in this kit. It sounds logical since both kits were tooled by Revell, and both will be coming from Atlantis now. A little judicious engine swapping might get you a Hemi Powered Fiat Screamer!

Anyway, here we go.

The Ford engine, parts pack 427, is miles ahead of the Hemi that comes in the JJ Camaro. The Hemi in the Camaro was also used as a Ford Cammer in Mustang and Maverick funnie, and the Willys and Henry J kits. 

It is pretty bad. Unless they totally tooled up something new, which I highly doubt. 

• Like 2

Ah, Thanks, Jesse!

I had no idea what the optional Engine might be in the Camaro.

Sadly, my issue is that I can find few Pics of that 427 in many Drag Cars. It seems like the BB Rat Motor and the Various 392-429 Chrysler Hemi's came to Dominate quite quickly, even in the 1960's. I think some form of Elephant would have been a better choice than the Underdog Ford Motor, no matter how much some folks like the Fords. It just seem like the Gasser and Fuel Altered's were were dominated by the Chevy/ Hemi motors. 

The "optional Ford engine" is carried over from the Heavy Hugger, the first version of that Camaro.  The chassis was shared with previously issued Maverick and Mustang coupe funny cars, both of which used that same Ford engine.  Revell was doing a lot of things on the cheap in the late Sixties and early Seventies, like putting that same style Ansen mag wheel in a lot of kits, cribbing a lot of '55 Chevy parts for their '53/'54 Chevy kits, and those two-piece tires that feel like recycled trash bags.  The JJ version of the Camaro was something Revell rushed out immediately after signing him up.  The later JJ Vega and Monza kits were way better.

Just dropping this here to keep this thread complete. Notice that we will definitely be getting a 392 Early Hemi of some kind in the kit! This will be great, as about 60% of the Photos I have seen of the Real Thing are Hemi Powered. (the rest are 427/454 Big Blocks)

YellowFeverDecal10.webp

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Just dropping this here to keep this thread complete. Notice that we will definitely be getting a 392 Early Hemi of some kind in the kit! This will be great, as about 60% of the Photos I have seen of the Real Thing are Hemi Powered. (the rest are 427/454 Big Blocks)

YellowFeverDecal10.webp

The engine in the Miss Deal is the parts pack HEMI, so hopefully that is what is being slipped in. 

Nice vintage sponsor decals, btw

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer…from Atlantis’s newsletter:

Shipping next week will be the H1440 Jungle Jim Funny Car followed by the L543 Curtiss Jenny, H1371 57 Chevy, M2204 SOT Funny Car and 13101 Yellow fever along with the M3308 Bismarck, M3006 Wisconsin and 3005 Metaluna Mutant. We are hoping to ship all these kits within the month of April however with the Holiday it could push into May. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 6:39 PM, stavanzer said:

No 392 Hemi in the kit. Not sure why it's on the decal sheet.

Kit includes the 427 Ford and the parts pack Caddy