Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simple Question Can you admire the Workmanship of a kit, but Not It's styling?

As I said, can you really be impressed the Builders Craftsmanship and Detail, but still be totally turned off the Styling Cues and/or Subject matter of a build?

Lately I've seen a few builds that are outstanding in their build quality, but just completely leave me cold, on Colour, Wheel Choice or Overall Look.

I so badly want to like the Build, but they just turn me off. Am I the only person who thinks this way?

• Like 1

You can absolutelly do that. Personally I have no interest in factory stock yet some of my fav builders on the forum only build that way. You can easily judge something only by the workmanship and it happens often in the 1/1 world too. Some of the vehicles that have won ambr or detroit have fantastic attention to detail but the end result isn't to my tastes. Quality workmanship will always stand out even if its not necessarily aesthetically pleasing to your eye

• Like 2

Good topic!  This got me thinking…

I think, for me, the enjoyment and excitement I get from seeing an inspiring build is very rarely because the subject matter is exactly the thing I like.  I follow a bunch of inspiring builders on Instagram, for example, and most of them AREN’T building something I would consider building myself…but they do it SO well, it doesn’t matter to me.  The craftsmanship is the thing I enjoy seeing, and learn from.

I read something on a modeling site once, maybe here or maybe SA before it closed, that said it really doesn’t matter which kit you might choose to build for a contest - if you build it well enough, it doesn’t even matter.  Same thing with seeing other people’s builds…seeing a job masterfully done is the interesting thing for me

• Like 1

I enjoy the WIP threads much more than the Under Glass section for this reason.  I enjoy seeing the process, regardless of subject of creating a well built model. As the saying goes, Its the journey not the destination that matters.

Edited by afx
  • Like 3

I understand. I rarely open a thread of a subject that I am not interested in. However when I do, there have been times when I am blown away by the level of craftsmanship even though it wasn’t my taste in builds, but too often that is the exception and not the rule.
Example: It is simply a preference thing, but I don’t particularly care for European semi trucks, however there is a builder of those trucks on this forum that knocks every build out of the park. Although it is not my taste, I am impressed by the craftsmanship of the build every time. 

Sure can.  When I go to an NNL event or contest, I try to give everything a look.  If everyone built the same stuff and had the same tastes, it would be pretty dull.

Sometimes the builder isn't necessarily "up to speed" in their level of ability, but have great ideas.  Any time someone mentions what they feel are shortcomings in their own work, and ask for suggestions, anyone I know will suggest better materials, parts, methods, what have you. 

We do need to encourage everyone coming on board.  I'm not suggesting "everyone gets a trophy", but if someone does ask for critique, tell them the good points first, then offer suggestions where you think they will do good.

• Like 2

I think one of the great things about this forum and the different sections is the ability to see what other builders are doing. The WIP section is a good way to learn how different builders' approach some assembly issues and fabrication. Seeing finished builds and knowing how they accomplished different aspects of the model gives you a better appreciation of their efforts. As for the build subject, that will always be the observer's viewpoint, but that shouldn't change one's appreciation for what the builder has done. Colors and wheels and tires are one area that in my mind is an area that really is the builders' ideas. Everyone has at one point, or another looked at a build and thought "O I would have done this differently". This doesn't mean the builder is wrong and you're right, just means your personal tastes  would have been different. You still have to look at someone else's build and appreciate it for what it is and how they finished it. 

It is all a matter of taste, and it can be hard to look past a style or genre which does not appeal to me. But I can appreciate new ideas, and craftsmanship even if it is not something I like.  There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to taste. 

26 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

I do it all the time...Quality fab is quality fab. I had to do it in the hot rod industry all the time. Still do when a potential customer brings me his ideas

Yup. Building somebody else's vision is what most professional real-car builders do most of the time.

Like the man says, quality is quality, whether you're personally on fire about the project or not.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I am glad to know that I am not alone.

There are some builders here on the board who complete such beautiful work, that I'll look at what ever they do.

Other times, I see builds that just bowl me over with subject matter, even when the build quality is not quite as sharp. But, all who post here do really great work.

It seems that we are all pretty much in agreement.  I think that much of the joy of this hobby is the actual building of the project.  For me the problem solving and satisfaction of striving for and every once in a while achieving a satisfactory level of craftsmanship is what keeps me at it.  While some projects are, as Snake45 put it, "Not my cup of tea at all, but there's no denying your superb craftsmanship and skill."  I can always learn from the techniques the builder uses and even  begin to appreciate styles that don't appeal to me at first glance.

Wouldn't it be dull if we all had the same sense of style regardless of how well built the projects are?

• Like 1